Lumina SS Spied In Detriot With Manufacturer's Plates

Jamesd said:
the Monaro is a great car, but it is no means a something that can be a GTO. It was basically like the 80-90s Mustangs, just a badge for the marketmen to push.

The GTO started out as a mere package on the lowly Tempest. Really now, this view of the GTO with rose colored glasses really has to stop. There was nothing special about the GTO especially when you look at it's numbers today and add the fact that it could never corner.

The Holden GTO was simply an extension of the GTO philosophy - more power out of a simple base car for a lot less money than poser cars. Further, if GM caves in to the die hard purists and makes the next generation GTO retro fugly, expect it to flop. Baby Boomers think they are the center of the universe, but they are aging and are in no way the future. Harley will find that out soon enough.

very very well put chief.

ishigakisensei said:
Jamesd said:
Further, if GM caves in to the die hard purists and makes the next generation GTO retro fugly, expect it to flop. Baby Boomers think they are the center of the universe, but they are aging and are in no way the future. Harley will find that out soon enough.

:thumbsup:

The problem is that one day its going to go full circle and we are going to get horrid remakes of late 80's and 90's Japanese sports cars for the playstation generation :roll:

Inovation and sticking to your guns is the way to go......

kaBOOMn said:
ishigakisensei said:
Jamesd said:
Further, if GM caves in to the die hard purists and makes the next generation GTO retro fugly, expect it to flop. Baby Boomers think they are the center of the universe, but they are aging and are in no way the future. Harley will find that out soon enough.

:thumbsup:

The problem is that one day its going to go full circle and we are going to get horrid remakes of late 80's and 90's Japanese sports cars for the playstation generation :roll:

Inovation and sticking to your guns is the way to go......

Well, we missed the 30s, 40s, and the 50s. People like the retro cars because they look good.

There are plenty of gen-y kids (or whatever you want to call them) that love classic muscle styling, so they're definitely not just catering to baby boomers with these retro-esque machines. Hell, I'm only 20 and I adore a lot of the classics from the '60s (and various other generations).

Gen-Y kids lack the money to buy these cars so you don't matter yet. Gen-Xers are coming into our own now with the dispoable income and we remember shitty cars from the 1970s and 1980s whereas German and Japanese cars were far superior. Nostalgia doesn't go that far with us especially when a car is still crap underneath.

This Lumina SS is nothing to get excited about, as written above we've seen this in Gulf in the starting of year 2006. One my friends own one.

ishigakisensei said:
Gen-Y kids lack the money to buy these cars so you don't matter yet. Gen-Xers are coming into our own now with the dispoable income and we remember shitty cars from the 1970s and 1980s whereas German and Japanese cars were far superior. Nostalgia doesn't go that far with us especially when a car is still crap underneath.

I've seen plenty of "Gen-Y" kids trying around in Mustangs.

ishigakisensei said:
Well there's still another 2 years before cars like the Challenger and Camaro are widely available, and also that's the timeframe that a lot of the Zeta cars will be rolling out from GM, and in that timeframe there will be plenty of kids from my generation with enough money to be considering those cars. As for shitty cars from the '70s and '80s, that was largely due to anemic power from smog controls, and it was just a shitty era in general in terms of styling for the most part, which is I guess why car makers are looking to the '60s for cues rather than the '80s eh?

Lots of Gen-Y kids being able to afford $30,000 cars? :lol: The days of easy credit are ending very soon. Our economy is heading for the bottom of the toilet and the very idea that 20-somethings are going to be able to finance $30,000 cars is beyond laughable.

ishigakisensei said:
Lots of Gen-Y kids being able to afford $30,000 cars? :lol: The days of easy credit are ending very soon. Our economy is heading for the bottom of the toilet and the very idea that 20-somethings are going to be able to finance $30,000 cars is beyond laughable.

No, but their parents can. When I look into a new Mustang time after time I see 16-23 year olds.

rom1n said:
This Lumina SS is nothing to get excited about, as written above we've seen this in Gulf in the starting of year 2006. One my friends own one.
They've been in the Gulf since before 2006, even. I see VX (they could even be VTs, but I can't tell the round-bodied Commodores apart) Lumina SSs around here all the time. I think the important thing about seeing one in the US with manufacturer plates (we've seen some camoflaged VEs testing in the US before) is that it could mean they plan to start selling them in the US as well.

Just hope they put a decent rear end on them, unlike all VT's - VZ's The new VE's rear should fix all the problems tho.....

Then again all the modern rear ends are much better than my poor 'ol VL's rear end. Geometry? Whats that?! :lol: I'll just take solice in the fact that the VL had a better motor :D

Commodores have been over there since 1997 with the VT... it's a well known fact. This on the other hand is completely different.

chaos386 said:
rom1n said:
They've been in the Gulf since before 2006, even. I see VX (they could even be VTs, but I can't tell the round-bodied Commodores apart) Lumina SSs around here all the time. I think the important thing about seeing one in the US with manufacturer plates (we've seen some camoflaged VEs testing in the US before) is that it could mean they plan to start selling them in the US as well.

There are two main exterior differences which you can distinguish between VT's and VX's. The bit between the taillights is body coloured on the VX, and the same colour as the taillights on the VT, and the VX headlights have a little teardrop impression into the bumper towards the middle of the front, whilst the VT headlights don't.

Mainly noticable with standard Executives, though, the Berlina/Calais use a different front in the VX, and the HSVs a different one yet again.

It's pretty sad that I know this, especially since I prefer the Fords. I guess it's common that anyone with an interest in cars here in Australia can identify at least a few models of Commodores or Falcons.

kaBOOMn said:
Just hope they put a decent rear end on them, unlike all VT's - VZ's The new VE's rear should fix all the problems tho.....

Apparently the rear end in the VX2 onwards was much better. Then again, I still see plenty of VT's with the rear wheels pointing in, and it's worse if they're lowered.

kaBOOMn said:
I'll just take solice in the fact that the VL had a better motor :D

Which was also installed in the R31 Skyline, without all the head issues (apparently caused by poor radiator placement). :)

R31's were good cars, I owned a Pintara for a fair while, slow but kept going. Go the CA20's :)