Someone Else's Problem: Lunacy and Eternal Optimism part II - 2001 Disco 2 V8

^
:lol:

Looks very good and good luck with the fuel consuption.

:smile:

My latest benchmark: 351km, split in ~60 B-road, 280 autobahn and the rest actual stop and go city, and except for the city part, the primary goal was to have some fun ;). 52,82l thus 15.05 l/100km is the result. That'd be 15.63 US MPG or 18.77 UK MPG. I think that is .. well, not economical, but acceptable, for the given performance :D. Your turn! :p

No bull bars, no plastic junk, no nothing. Plain, clean and original is the game here. :)

2 owners as it happens and relatively good history, the second owner took over at 17k miles.

Even more impressive!

That's a fine looking vehicle. Hope it treats you well.

OK so I filled up again today and did the calculations for the MPG. Since filling up yesterday I have covered 122 miles and used 31.8 litres, working out at 17.5 UK MPG or 16.14l/100km.

I also took some new photos (which have been added to the first post, including proof pic) and had a go at cleaning the drivers seat, following instructions from a LR magazine.

DSC_5767_P_S.jpg

Before starting. Doesn't look too dirty really.

DSC_5768_P_S.jpg

Taped off area like the did in the mag to show how well it will come up after cleaning.

DSC_5769_P_S.jpg

After applying, agitating and removing the cleaner 3 times.

DSC_5776_P_S.jpg

The entire seat done.

It's hard to tell but plenty of dirt came off. It doesn't look like new but it is much better. It also isn't shiny any more. I'll finish the front of this seat off by applying conditioner tomorrow, then do the back and move on to the other seats.7

Last edited:
What sort of driving was that for that fuel consumption? If it's all urban then your V8 is pretty much the same as my V6. Which incidentally is also 4.0-litres. And makes more power :ninja:

Now I think about it, Troy's D2 is the same colour and I seem to remember a blue D2 in your pictures a few years ago. I like the colour though, goes well with the cream leather. I found that epsom green was another popular colour. I looked at a white one which would've looked more modern but as said above it was a shed.

That's correct! Exact opposite to yours, as base as base fleet models come.

181682_1800917138285_2500213_n.jpg

What sort of driving was that for that fuel consumption? If it's all urban then your V8 is pretty much the same as my V6. Which incidentally is also 4.0-litres. And makes more power :ninja:

A mixture of urban, country roads and 90 miles of motorway. I won't ever pretend that this engine was ever designed to be economical. :lol:

That's correct! Exact opposite to yours, as base as base fleet models come.

I struggled to see the blue initially as I was thrown off by the black plastic bumper and trim. Still looks tidy though.

WTF?! After I managed to get the initial shock of of my system about you going batshit bonkers and buying a V8 who's drunk 24/7, I just got an even bigger shock when I realised your barge is blue and has a tan leather interiour! - A colour combination so ugly doctor leaflets call it retina poison! - Do you actually have no stylistic awareness, at all?
Wait a minute.
Ack. Damn. Nevermind, again. ;)

Last edited:
The way the emergency seats in the back stow away like that is really neat! And the car looks really good overall! Quite timeless design, as often when things are adapted to function over form!

retina poison!

I can't rep lip again, someone cover me please. :lol:

CD changer F'ed itself up, clearly it doesn't want me to know what terrible CDs were left in it. Seems like a good excuse to fit one of these (which I was planning to do anyway, just need to wait for Mr. Money to make an appearance).

41WZPhV1arL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grom-Audio-SB1-kit-connection/dp/B00QVO2HFA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430755067&sr=8-2&keywords=grom+land+rover+bluetooth

This will give me A2DP BT audio through the Grom box that acts as a dummy CD changer. I can also plug in a 3.5mm cable if BT goes wonky and gets on my tits.

I had one of those Grom Audio boxes for my V70 with the HU-603. It was way too complicated for its own good and the C3PO sounded like A2DP... no wait, the other way around.

Maybe they're better now. This was, er, 3 years ago or thereabouts. But I ended up using only the 30-pin apple sync cable for audio. Bluetooth was useless.

I didn't even have a changer in my V70 when I got the Grom. I just plugged it in and was all of a sudden able to select CD changer from the input menu.

I have a Grom USB2Plus in the E46, and it works fine. A2DP sound is more than adequate (it's still A2DP, so don't expect super high quality, but it's no worse than the mp3s I stream over them), dunno about call quality until I route the mic from the trunk to the cabin, but I doubt it's going to be as bad as Perc says.

Last edited:
My lip is repped. It'th painful.

Does that box require a dummy CD to be left in the changer?

I'm glad to hear you'd go to lengths like that for me. :p

I didn't even have a changer in my V70 when I got the Grom. I just plugged it in and was all of a sudden able to select CD changer from the input menu.

That's how I understand this works too, it completely replaces the CD changer unit. I'm wary of BT quality too, it seems like an expensive way to get a 3.5mm plug though if I don't use it. :think:

I have a Grom USB2Plus in the E46, and it works fine. A2DP sound is more than adequate (it's still A2DP, so don't expect super high quality, but it's no worse than the mp3s I stream over them), dunno about call quality until I route the mic from the trunk to the cabin, but I doubt it's going to be as bad as Perc says.

Good to hear, I would be happy with that. :)

Last edited:
Congrats, looks really great. My car-salesman-client has one pretty identical to this (-99, V8, 7 seats) and tries to sell it to me every time we meet. :)

The only downside is that I have to press play manually on Google Play Music after getting into the car.

I fixed this issue by installing an application called "Bluetooth connect and Play". It automatically starts to play spotify/whatever you want when it is connected to a specified BT device.