Lunchtime Solutions?

vegasrebel29

Suckin' dic* bought this title
Car(s)
Chevrolet Silverado
With the developing economic situation, I figure that I should make sacrifices before I'm forced to,
and one that I've settled on is making lunch at home... the only problem is, I'm pretty poor in the cooking creativity department.

With that said, I can't help but notice you folks are pretty proficient in this area, so a little help would be much appreciated.

do you mean make it at home and take it to work/uni/school or do you mean go home during lunch break and eat?

Either, actually. I'd prefer to make it beforehand but I can spring the second if I feel it's warranted.

Sammiches. Just don't be like me and buy $9 worth of roast beef and put it all on one wonderful lunchtime delight.

peanut-butter-jelly_~OS36030.jpg

If you have a toaster/sandwhich press at work I highly recommend a Ham and Cheese solution. Proven to fill that hole in 99% of study cases. Just look at what some of our clients have to say about our fantastic product.

Me: Well, I get up in the morning, usually skip breakfast or have a banana, cookie and milk. I quickly defrost some sliced bread, get a nice cut of ham (I love off the bone but it costs $$) (Usually bought in bulk to have enough for the week) then I'll slice some cheese (Personally Jarlsberg its costly too but its just sooo damn good .... It melts sooooo well and when done right never lets you down in the satisfaction department.) Then I'll top off lunch will a yoghurt (which I usually have as a morning snack) and some seasonal fruit.

For the record I don't have a toasted sandwhich every day of the week but I look forward to the days I do. It beats subway any day of the week.

Oh - and leftovers. If you have a staple diet of Carbs like me (Italian = pasta) then there's nothing like reheated yummies for the next day.

A nice Cesar salad is a favorite of mine for work, just croutons, Parmesan, and Cesar dressing. Other than that cold pizza some nice chips and salsa.

Pasta is good too. If there is a microwave where you work, nothing quite beats homemade spaghetti and meatballs, plus it's so easy.

agreed on sammiches. they don't cost much, they don't take long to make, and they're yummy

Good lunchtime solutions, well, sammiches and cold pizza has been named. They're good. Some other good stuff is quiche (not the girly stuff with no meat in it, make your own, with lots of meat, it's great when cold. Also, do not underestimate the awesomeness of a good pasta salad. Just cook some pasta, and add whatever you like, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, ham, salami, bacon, whatever floats your boat, and top it off with a nice dessing, i prefer to make a warm dressing with olive oil, sweet paprika, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herbs. What goes for pasta, also goes for cous-cous and rice, just add whatever floats your boat. Do not be afraid to experiment, there's always the cafeteria if it doesn't work out.

Sammiches, as most have mentioned, are one of the main ways to go.

If it's freezing at your workplace though, you could always heat some soup before you leave and then take it in a flask. It's great in the middle of December.

A nice Cesar salad is a favorite of mine for work, just croutons, Parmesan, and Cesar dressing. Other than that cold pizza some nice chips and salsa.

what he said only i add a half chicken breast that has been grilled/broiled then chopped into cubes (nuke it before you put it on your salad)

I usually do a set of food every three days or so, which normally is enough for one dinner (after making it) and two or three days lunch. It's usually some simple mix with meat or chicken combined with pasta or rice. The former is easy to make, just chuck whatever you fancy to frying pan(yesterday's mix was ground meat, onions, garlic and pineapple plus spices) and stir occasionally, while cooking the latter is obviously even simpler. Cost was sum total of four euro or so (thanks to bargain priced meat) which ain't bad for three decent lunches and a dinner yesterday.

Tuna salad sandwiches are a good choice: plain canned tuna, celery, mayonnaise. Chuck 'em in a blender, refrigerate, then spread on bread and hope you won't get sick of them in a few weeks.

It's also great for if you end up buying too much mayonnaise. Add ketchup to the leftover mayo and celery to make simple Thousand Island dressing - voila, you can get some pastrami, cheap-ass canned sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese and make Reuben sandwiches. It should tide you over for a week while you realize that you're going to have to walk to work because you can't fill up your sweet Cadillac. ;)

I should be trying these myself, in fact!

Last edited: