Luxury's Leather Fetish

I prefer cloth but if something's gotta be non-cloth, i'll take leatherette over real leather any day. It's virtually maintenance free isn't it?

Ummm... sort of. You do have to clean it, it stains more easily, and has a finite life no matter how you try to preserve it. Real leather, properly cared for, has been known to last multiple decades.

Also tends to cut a lot easier than leather.

i kinda agree that leather looks and smells (dat smell!) better, aswell as being easier to maintain.
In euroland though, you can get it in pretty much every car you want, not just high end stuff...

Though its hard to justify getting a 2k option on a 8k car, but you can if you want to...

I'll take cloth over leather any day of the week.
I've had vinyl, velours and cloth seats over the years. Cloth is by far my favourite. Velours is horribly stuffy and vinyl is just utter rot...
Plenty of experience with leather seats in my father in law's cars. Not my cup of tea at all.

I've never had a car with a leather interior, but I'd like one ? as long as it's supple, not tight and vinyl-like.

IMG_7995.jpg

Saab9000_6-L.jpg

Though I don't care for cold pale tones like that, red leather is better.

2m3gz6v.jpg

I like the half-leather type sport seats. Especially when it's alcantara in the middle and leather on the sides. It's like the best of both worlds - my stones don't get all sweaty and the side support doesn't rip.

My old SVT Focus had partial leather seats. I loved them, when the car went away the seats were still in great shape after 130k miles.

My 02 Miata has leather seats but the leather is thin and doesn't age well.

Leather is easy to f*ck up by not taking care of it, but they can last longer than the car itself when maintained properly. I had a V70 V?lv? with 500 000 km on the clock, and the leather would have easily passed as being from a car with 50 000 km.

I'm always ready to pay more of a car if it has good leather. Heck, I'm even going to swap the whole interior of my Scorpio for a leather this winter. It will make a world of difference.

Only car I would prefer something else in, are W140 or older Mercs, as the velour interior looks just so much better in those.

orig.jpg