M3 or C6 Corvette?

M3 or C6 Corvette?

• Total voters
i dont like plastic cars with vietnamise suspension... so THE M3 is the BEST, CSL for me!

Yayox said:
i dont like plastic cars with vietnamise suspension... so THE M3 is the BEST, CSL for me!
:lol: :roll:
Psst...you know that whole "leaf springs, lol" was a JOKE, right?

Yayox said:

:roll:

Oh dear... :lol:

Yayox said:
The CSL that costs literally twice as much and is less powerful. For that price I'd get the corvette, supercharge it, upgrade the brakes, and do a full coilover suspension, and still have $20K in my pocket. :lol:

It would be nice to ride in a Vette and an identical vette with coilovers to see if any difference surfaced whatsoever. :think:

Apparently it's very easy to convert it. Just take the leafs off and replace the factory shocks with coilover shocks.

and those who are complaining about the interior, it really isnt that bad, especially compared to the 996 911. For the money, the interior suits the car well.

M3 for automotive excellence but not very distinctive looks

C6 for value for money and very distinctive looks. No way they'll put a diesel engine in that big boy :D

niteriyder said:
and those who are complaining about the interior, it really isnt that bad, especially compared to the 996 911. For the money, the interior suits the car well.
while agree that the C6 is great value for the money, the interior really is very poor quality. I'm not saying that that alone would keep me from buying one, but it is one of its major problems.

The C6 is not cheap by any means. For just a few dollars more they could have used decent materials for the dash and door panels.

have you sat in a c6? the dash and door panels use soft plastic material, its the center dash bezel which is painted silver that gives the car a cheap feel.

niteriyder said:
have you sat in a c6? the dash and door panels use soft plastic material, its the center dash bezel which is painted silver that gives the car a cheap feel.
Seriously, everyone wants to jump on the "Corvette interior SUCKS" bandwagon, but not one of them has actually sat in the car. the interior is pretty fucking good.

besides, if i had a C6 i wouldnt be sitting there saying "damnit, this is so cheap, look at this radio, the buttons are ugly!"

i'd be driving it saying "HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!'

Well, there's two ways to appreciate a fine sports car. One is by partaking of its excellent dynamics, and the other is by reveling in its finely crafted interior.

Maybe the dashboard huggers do what they do because they can't drive well enough to appreciate the car based on dynamics alone?

FATMOUSE said:
Well, there's two ways to appreciate a fine sports car. One is by partaking of its excellent dynamics, and the other is by reveling in its finely crafted interior.

Maybe the dashboard huggers do what they do because they can't drive well enough to appreciate the car based on dynamics alone?
Agreed, and I won't take sides because I never saw the interior of any of those cars, but is it so hard to make a good looking interior? Even in a car with the best dynamics, there is a time you will admire the interior...

B-Chevy-Corvette-Interior.jpg

Meh. It's not that bad.

Unlike half the people on this forum who rattle on about how cheap the interior is, I have actually been inside one before. The center console feels flimsy, but also feels like it won't break without a fight. The dash is squishy plastic that is rather classy, like the glossy door panels with almost zero visible panel gaps. All the controls feel solid as well, they snap forcibly and the shifter feels like quality even if it is hideous. The armrest, however, is two hits from snapping off, the plastic that surrounds it (above the seatbelt release in the pic) rips easily as it's riveted with a cheap plastic screw, the seat isn't firm enough (probably from the hundreds of asses that have slided into it, from the Rev It Up event I went to where I drove one), and the steering wheel is not only hideous but kind of gross (again, from the hundreds of paws that grabbed it, probably) and awkward.

So what does this mean? If you don't rent out your Corvette to a racing clinic for amateurs, and if you're not trying to impress Kristin Scott Thomas, then it is more than adequate for general wild driving. It's not a BMW, but so what? You can't expect everything in an already terrific car, and it's good that GM spent its funds wisely on engineering the chassis and suspension (leaf springs, lol) and amazing engine instead of making the door panels ever so slightly more padded. Get over it.

FATMOUSE said:

I got the chance to drive a Corvette C5 at 10/10ths for 3 days straight when I went to the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving. Admittedly that car has a shitty interior, the C6 is a huge improvement. but the only part of the interior I looked at was the HUD.

You tend to forget about crappy plastic and rattly switchgear when you have a 5.7L V8 screaming at you and you're coming up at 100mph into a 30mph chicane. And the feeling of zero-Gs as you come up over a rise with the rear end starting to break loose ever-so-slightly.

IMO, the M3 needs the snazzy interior. I've never driven one, but I know that high strung 6-cylinder can't move that heavy ass car as fast and those skinny tires can't make it corner as well as a Corvette.

BlaRo said:
Unlike half the people on this forum ......... Get over it.

That steering wheel is a bit ugly, but I'm pretty sure you can get a pretty good looking 3 spoke one. I'll find a pic and edit it in to the post.

normal_2006-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Daytona-500-Pace-Car-Interior-1280x960.jpg

Done.

Still, it can't be that hard to do, why does it still look like a Kia from the inside. I, too sat in one and I couldn't help but laugh why on earth didn't they spend 50 cents on a decent interior. Soft touch there, nice edges with aluminum here, some chrome rings there - its not that hard to do.
And yeah it might be a good sports car but I wouldn''t want to be seen in one. And although I haven't driven both I suppose the M3 is a nicer drive, even when its slower.
I would want to have a go in that Z06 variant though, that looks much more promising.

un-dee said:
Still, it can't be that hard to do, why does it still look like a Kia from the inside. I, too sat in one and I couldn't help but laugh why on earth didn't they spend 50 cents on a decent interior. Soft touch there, nice edges with aluminum here, some chrome rings there - its not that hard to do.
And yeah it might be a good sports car but I wouldn''t want to be seen in one. And although I haven't driven both I suppose the M3 is a nicer drive, even when its slower.
I would want to have a go in that Z06 variant though, that looks much more promising.

Again I have driven both, perks of the job, and sure the interior of the M3 is nicer as I would expect it to be but the vette was not so bad.

The M3 I drove was a 2004 and the Vette was a 2005. The M3 felt a bit more tossable I guess you could say but they both reved nicely and the ride in each was about equal in hardness. Neither of these cars were my own personal cars and I was on public roads so I wasn't pushing either of them either.

The transmission in the M3 was more solid and direct feeling but again I sort of expect that since the Vettes tranny is all the way in the back. The clutch in the Vette was more forgiving and easier to live with in traffic. The M3 clutch was a bit more like an on off switch not a lot of progression to it. I can see that being better for the track.