MacBook as school computer?

Average Guy

was previously known as "Small Guy" and soon to be
Car(s)
2015 VW Polo 1.2 TSI
Hello guys (;

I'm really falling in love with the new MacBook and I would like to hear what you people think about it, what problems it has and what the good thing there is about it because I have never had a Mac (I have the iPod Touch but i don't know if that can compare).
I'm starting in 9th grade from next year and we are gonna use laptops a lot.
So it has to be a good and fast school computer and be easy work on.

What do you say? (;

Btw. I have never had a laptop and I know Mac's are overpriced (;

Last edited:
Well, it has all of the basic needs you may happen to have. Office, internet, lack of (major) viruses (virii?). Only problem I can see is if the school assigns you some network storage, getting that to work properly can be time consuming and flakey, at best. Least, it was when I had OS X Tiger, not too sure about OS X Leopard.

Oh and i forgot to ask: is the 13 inch screen too small? I quite like it small but do you think it would be a problem?

It's viri .

Oh and i forgot to ask: is the 13 inch screen too small? I quite like it small but do you think it would be a problem?

I own a white macbook and it screen size is pretty good. It isn't gigantic but useable. Much better in this regard than my 12" Powerbook which was a bit too small.

I would not bring an expensive laptop to high school. Have you thought about an eeepc? They're very small and lightweight, which you're going to appreciate once you have to lug it around a campus.

I would not bring an expensive laptop to high school. Have you thought about an eeepc? They're very small and lightweight, which you're going to appreciate once you have to lug it around a campus.
While I agree with the expensive laptop not mixing well with school, my Macbook wasn't really a pain to lug around. According to the Wiki, a eeePC weighs in at about 2.5 lbs, while a Macbook is about 5 lbs. I don't think that extra weight would show up too much...

However, I still suggest a cheaper and more hearty computer for schooling. Might I suggest a Toshiba Toughbook? ;)

However, I still suggest a cheaper and more hearty computer for schooling. Might I suggest a Toshiba Toughbook? ;)
Mine weighs 7.5lbs and is a pain to lug around. It is it's own case, though. :lol:

I wouldn't bother for Mac or any expensive one like Sony and certain HP models.

Unless you want to do some real gaming with it all you will ever need is audio/video player and MS Office, so you can get pretty much anything really, i would avoid non-Intel chipsets. Also as you're not overpaying for Mac (or Sony Vaio) badge, you can affort bigger screen and better specs within your budget.

EeePC is quite a good option, it's light and much more portable, but it obviously lacks in performance and it's quite uncomfortable to operate for longer periods of time, and depending on the model overpriced.

At this very moment the best for let's say 700$ is:

Acer Extensa 5620-2A2G25Mi T5270/2G/250/DVD/WiFi/VHP/15.4"

Of course there can be good deals in specific shops, but that's what i've found without any special discounts, offers or anything like that.

Well if you look at how fast the laptop it self is what can i compare it to then?

And I will never ever buy a slow computer. if I did that I would end up it will end up smashing it thru the window. So for me I think it would end up in the 1000$ class no matter what (;

They're nice, but expensive. PCs will be cheaper at the same spec point, but you don't get OSX.

I switched to mac last year, and really happy I did, the operating system makes it easier to do work imo. As an entire package I really don't think the macbook is over priced to similar spec computers, especially with the new update that includes the an aluminum body (I prefer this to plastic) and integrated nvidia card. 13" should be enough screen real estate for most work. mind you, I never brought a laptop to school until post secondary because I simply did not need one.

I don't think the taking a mac to school is going to be a problem. Firstly I'm only going to use in the school it self under special assignments (where I'm going to have in my sight basically all the time). Secondly I don't think the getting it stolen is as big a problem where I live (;

Last edited:
I bought my new MacBook Pro a month ago, I have to say it's one of the best computers I had. This is my first apple computer and it pretty much does everything I need. I bring it to my university and pretty much replaced all my notebook, oh I don't forget to buy protection for it.

Problems:
-If I want to send a friend a document I have to convert my Pages documents to MS Word because so most people use Windows (yes, there is MS Work for Macs, but I rather use Pages first and then convert it if I need to).

-Also one thing I'm very disappointed is that there is no AutoCAD version for Macs (I'm a Civil Engineering student), so I downloaded VMware Fusion to run Windows XP in another window.

-The bloody glare on the screen is very annoying, so I paid $35 to put an anti-glare strip on it...problem solved.

Last edited:
But what if i want to run, let's sat powerpoint. can't I just open a windows XP window and run it there?

Btw. how does that Windows thing work?

Last edited:
Yes, it makes a lot of sence to buy a Mac for studying, and put a Windows on it so you can actually use it.

Did i mention if you buy like a "cool" 17' Mac for like 1800$ (with white plasti? cover and silver (or chrome) apple sign on it) you'll automatically become one of the "cool crowd" in your school, college and university. Add a weekly gym regiment to that and you'll be scoring like Beckham in late 90s. Same thing works with expensive Sony VAIO, but they are more "blend" these days.

Last edited:
Viper the reason why i ask for how the windows app works was if I for some reason had to use powerpoint in a asigment I would like to hear if it was possible or what else i could do. And im not only buying it for school use.

Btw. if you don't like the Mac why don't you just ignore this thread?