Macro Lens

jimmymac

G'day folks!

The kind people here gave me some great advice on a zoom lens back at the start of the yearand I have been massively happy with the Canon 70-300mm IS lens that I picked up because of it.

Now its time to look towards the other end of the scale, looking for a Macro lens so I can get some really good close up shots, would prefer not to spend more than ?300, less if possible, more if the right lens comes around and looks worth the money.

So if you have any ideas they would be appreciated :)

Sigma 17-70 F/2,8-4.5 Macro lens.

It's one of the very few lenses I have used that can essentially focus on a sticker if you put it on a lens mounted filter and then zoom in fully. Ice has the lens for Nikon, so he can give you a good verdict. If you are within Europe, I can find you a good deal.

I got recommended the tamron 90 mm macro, bought it, love it :D

He means that the OP is looking for a macro lens for his Canon.

My vote goes to the excellent Tamron 90mm f/2.8 because it kicks ass. If I didn't use bellows for my macro work, that's the lens I'd have.

Ah, that's a fair point. Oh well, evidently the OP will have to change his gear around to get that particular lens. Who needs logic when you can have the same lens as a random guy on the internet?

So is the Sigma zoom lens really as good as the dedicated macro lenses with fixed focal lengths?

A short and simple answer for this one: "No." :p

Some lenses like the Sigma can focus rather close, but they're not proper macro lenses. They're more like...well, "close-up lenses". Macro (usually) means that you can go all the way to 1:1 magnification, which means that objects are projected in their real size to your camera sensor. Take a picture of something that's 2cm wide and it'll pretty much fill up the whole picture (because the Canon 1.6x crop sensor is 22.2 x 14.8 mm).

cheers for the info folks, will do a bit more research into the tamron and sigma lens' :)