Major shakdown at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep: up to six models to be axed

Get rid of the Avenger....and offer the Demon concept.
I didn't particularly care for the looks of the Demon, but I think they need to build it. Keep it really cheap and offer a SRT model with the SRT4's engine mounted the right way in it. If they do it right I think they could put a pretty significant dent in MX5 and Kappa sales.

Jeep needs a tough-as-nails 4WD offroad version of the Jeep. Make the Toyota Hilux Top Gear attempted to destroy get it's panties in a bunch.
*cough RUBICON cough cough* :lol:

Jeep needs a tough-as-nails 4WD offroad version of the Jeep. Make the Toyota Hilux Top Gear attempted to destroy get it's panties in a bunch.

2007-jeep-rubicon-3.jpg

Had one for more than a few years now. Now also available in a four-door.

That was a short stinch for the Commander.

I bet theyll reintroduce this things in the future.

If gas prices go down and they give it a proper refresh, it will sell again.

Jeep needs to bring back the Cherokee in its square- bodied- go- anywhere splendor.

Last edited:
the Pacifica is a nice suv/truck thingamabob. the faster you go the more control you have. but what isnt needed must go. hope its for the better for them. as long as they dont drop the 300....

Chrysler will never drop the 300, its one of the best selling cars in the country right now! And when you think about it, the 300/Charger are really the only full-size sedans that don't cost an arm and a leg (compared to the german-mobiles) and the Charger/300 have quite a bit more style than its other competitors, such as the Toyota Camry, Ford Taurus (actually the new one looks pretty good), or the new Chevrolet Impala, but the new Pontiacs look very nice I'll admit, very nice indeed.

Last edited:
Chrysler will never drop the 300, its one of the best selling cars in the country right now! And when you think about it, the 300/Charger are really the only full-size sedans that don't cost an arm and a leg (compared to the german-mobiles) and the Charger/300 have quite a bit more style than its other competitors, such as the Toyota Camry, Ford Taurus (actually the new one looks pretty good), or the new Chevrolet Impala, but the new Pontiacs look very nice I'll admit, very nice indeed.

I think once things settle down with the new Chrysler ownership, they should definitely start looking into redesigning/re-engineering the 300/Charger/Magnum. It's still based off an old Mercedes platform and repair/warranty costs are high on it. Chrysler actually rates very poorly for warranty costs each year, not because their cars break down more, but because they cost more to repair.

I'm glad they killed the Compass. Now if they would just make 4WD standard on all Jeep models, they'll be back on par with Hummer.

No, they have to go a little further.

(1) Stop lowering ride height for idiots who don't understand an SUV is a heavy truck and not a sports car. Jeeps need ground clearance. I have an 02 Liberty, starting in 03 they lowered them by an inch because of rollovers (by idiots).

(2) Offer proper 4wd trim levels from the factory. The Rubicon was the right idea -- factory beef-ups. But even with "offroad packages" many Jeeps don't have proper skid plate protection, large tires, or lockers, when the competition from Hummer or Toyota does.

(3) Design with offroad modifications, or at least oversized tires, in mind. To fit 31" tires on my Jeep, I had to bang back a pinch weld seam with a mallet and do some cutting with a dremel; I also had to lose my fog light doors. 265/75R16s can fit but with serious rubbing. Didn't anyone think people would want bigger offroad tires?

IRS is tolerable in the fringes of the range but the closer you come to the Wrangler in functionality you have to have solid axles. Perhaps 4wd package variants should be solid axle only (see 2).

Last edited:
At least Hummers all come with 4WD standard. Some Jeeps come in FWD and all models come in 2WD.

To be fair, it's only the new Patriot (which unfortunately seems to be escaping the noose) and Cum-pass that are car based FWD'ers and don't have a transfer case. The rest of the Jeep line in 2wd trim (or when 4wd is not engaged) are rear-drivers. But I agree, I never saw the point of a Jeep (or any SUV for that matter) in 2wd form. Just do like Subaru, make 4wd standard across the range.

Thank god the Jeep Commander and Compass are going to be killed. They already have the Cherokee and the Wrangler. Why do they need that many 4wd's in the line up?

The thinking was, to go after the scores of "fake SUVs" that are selling to soccer moms -- Honda CRV & Pilot, Toyota Rav 4 and Highlander, et al. Being that they are tall econoboxes and not true 4wd vehicles, they are light, car-like, and fuel efficient. And, to go upscale with something better than the Grand Cherokee to fight the high ends like Land Rover. Jeep should have owned the 4wd market and now everybody has an SUV in their lineup.

Jeep once owned the 4wd market and pioneered the SUV with the Cherokee. And they watched it evaporate as EVERYBODY makes SUVs (BMW & Porsche, WTF?).

That actually makes a lot of sense, lol. The Patriot is OK, I mean the high trims of it actually aren't all that bad, but the Compass, get that thing the frig out of here. And I don't know if I'm the only one alone here, but does anyone think that they should re-introduce the regular Cherokee? I know the liberty is supposed to fill that gap, but it doesn't really...

I think in many ways the long wheelbase 4 door Wrangler does -- no B.S. solid axles, rugged... A 4 door Wrangler is what most Cherokee owners really wanted.

Last edited:
IRS is tolerable in the fringes of the range but the closer you come to the Wrangler in functionality you have to have solid axles. Perhaps 4wd package variants should be solid axle only (see 2).

You can do a capable fully independent off-road vehicle it just takes more money then Jeep can charge for a vehicle. Just look at all of the current Land Rovers.

Bah, can it lug this?

1942Jeep.jpg

Sure can. It has a tougher frame, beefier suspension and more horsepower and torque than the original army Jeep. If you were to turn it into a military vehicle it would haul that and more.

Thank god they are literally cutting the crap. I haven't seen a Sebring here, but it has..a rear bench seat? It's 2007?

This is a good call - they really are dead weight models. The Commander particularlly.

You can do a capable fully independent off-road vehicle it just takes more money then Jeep can charge for a vehicle. Just look at all of the current Land Rovers.

The Defender was solid axles front and rear.

IRS isn't too bad, but it has limitations on axle articulation and offroading is very harsh on your suspension and drive components. Independent suspension uses quite a bit more parts, so the chances of breaking something increase dramatically.

I'd get rid of everything except the 300/Charger/Magnum, Ram, Caravan and Wrangler. The Durango might be OK since it seats 7 and hauls a big load - which makes it rare among today's unibody SUVs - but I can't imagine that being a huge market need.

Then, re-build the rest from Scratch.

Dodge: Caravan, Ram, Challenger (sports car), Charger (sports sedan), Magnum, Calibre SRT-4.
Chrsyler: 300, Town & Country and a halo car like the Imperial.
Jeep: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee.

That's it. No shitty Aspens, or Nitros. The Viper, like the Corvette in Europe should be its own brand.

Last edited:
Ah, good thing it's only the shitty models. :)