"Make my day... better"

Yes, a nine millimeter hollow point is dangerous for you, it won't do anything to the attacker. Right.

The .45 is less accurate, it has more recoil, the ammo costs more, and a 9 mm will kill someone easily.

How many rounds have you got in your .45? The Beretta's got 15, if you can't do it with 15 rounds, you better hide and get the cops. :)

The 9mm is a very fast round and many (not all) of the pistols that take it are polymer frame. Now I have shot many pistols and I can say with certainty that 9mm polymer frame pistols have a wicked recoil. It's a very sharp recoil that wants to snap the weapon out of your hand.

Now take a 1911 .45. Larger round, but slower speed. Because of this it does not just fly though a target, but rather slows and tumbles enough to take a large part of the target with it when it exits. Trust me on this, I have seen the aftermath. The 1911 also has a slower recoil because it is a steel frame and a slower round. After each shot the slide returning forward tends to drop the barrel right back on to your target. While a Glock 9mm tends to make the recoil felt in the rotation of the pistol around an axis, the 1911 sends a slower impulse back down your arm so your larger muscles can counter the force rather than the small muscles in your fingers.

Finally, a 9mm is a small round without much mass behind it, the .45 weighs as much as some East German cars. If I have a split second to fire a single round, I want to put as much lead in the air as possible and the .45 delivers.

Let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time the US Army was somewhere where the natives chewed a plant with narcotic properties before going into battle. The natives didn't like the US Cavalry or their .38 caliber (9.652 millimeter) pistols. The Cavalry tired to shoot the attacking natives but the .38 didn't even phase them, as they were high on naturally occurring drugs. This made the Cavalry sad, they wanted a gun that would do a better job against primitive junkies. First they made the bullets, and they were called .45 calibers. Then they took the new bullets to a man named John Browning who made a special pistol to fire the new bullet. This made the Cavalry happy, with the new bullet they could hit a crazy charging doped up warrior pretty much anywhere and put him down with no trouble at all

The End.

Now, do you think a crazed drug addict high on modern chemistry is going to even FEEL a 9mm? No. Use a .45 and get the job done right the first time.

To answer your question: the 1911 holds 7 rounds with one in the pipe. Different models hold different numbers of rounds depending on the caliber, grip width, magazine length and frame size.

Yes, a nine millimeter hollow point is dangerous for you, it won't do anything to the attacker. Right.

The .45 is less accurate, it has more recoil, the ammo costs more, and a 9 mm will kill someone easily.

How many rounds have you got in your .45? The Beretta's got 15, if you can't do it with 15 rounds, you better hide and get the cops. :)

I never said that. "I'd rather hit my target with a 9mm then miss with a .45" and all that.

But I wanted something with more stopping power. Recoil is more about the gun then the round, when it comes to pistols. My friends .40 Glock has horrible sharp recoil compared to my Ruger. I also shot the 9mm version of my gun and it didn't feel much better. Accuracy is also more about the gun and ammo, not just the calibre.

Accuracy does have to do with the ammo, but it's the quality of the ammo, not the caliber. The accuracy is something to strive for, however, most pistol shootings take place at less than 7 yards - also the FBI pistol qualification distance. Another factor is the barrel length - you won't get a very tight grouping with a 1" barrel, but you can do pretty well with a 4" barrel

I personally practice at 15 yards.

What do you guys think about .40 pistols? Any good?

I actually owned a .40 and it was a nice shooter. The one I had was steel framed so it didn't "snap" as much as a polymer frame. The round has good stopping power, but it's not quite the hand cannon of the .45. It's a good compromise between the light fast penetrating (and cheap) 9mm and the large lead fist of the .45.

What weapon are you thinking about? I shot a Beretta, but I was a bit disappointed in the accuracy and for some reason that particular pistol's rear sight would not adjust no matter what we did.

As we are talking guns and this board seems to be populated with quite a few gun experts, how dissimilar would a competition air pistol be to shoot compared to a .22 competition pistol. I assume there is likely to be less kick with an air pistol but that's about the extent of my knowledge. The reason I ask is I am hoping to start shooting air pistol at a local club very soon. My dad shot pistols for England and Great Britain a few times and narrowly missed out on a place on the Olympic squad one year.

I don't get this obsession with caliber you yanks got, what's wrong with a Glock or a Beretta? :)

That question doesn't really make sense, since both Glock and Beretta offer models in various calibers. That's kind of like saying, "I don't know what your obsession with shoe size is, what's wrong with nikes or addidas?" ;)

I saw a gun when I was shopping recently that was a .45 but had a rotating chamber to reduce recoil. When the gun started to recoil the slide went back but the chamber also spun, taking some of the energy away from just pushing it back. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was Israeli.

You can say many bad thing's about Israel, but when it comes to weapons, they're pretty good.

As we are talking guns and this board seems to be populated with quite a few gun experts, how dissimilar would a competition air pistol be to shoot compared to a .22 competition pistol. I assume there is likely to be less kick with an air pistol but that's about the extent of my knowledge. The reason I ask is I am hoping to start shooting air pistol at a local club very soon. My dad shot pistols for England and Great Britain a few times and narrowly missed out on a place on the Olympic squad one year.

The big difference will be muzzle velocity, the weight of the projectile, range and trajectory. If you put enough compressed air behind the pellet you can get muzzle velocities similar to a short .22, but you have to ask "is it worth it?" I mean, .22 long rifle rounds are so cheap you might as well just use .22.

The big difference will be muzzle velocity, the weight of the projectile, range and trajectory. If you put enough compressed air behind the pellet you can get muzzle velocities similar to a short .22, but you have to ask "is it worth it?" I mean, .22 long rifle rounds are so cheap you might as well just use .22.

Partly due to costs, pellets are much cheaper than rounds, partly due to preference, I find shooting pistols much more of a challenge than a rifle.

Once upon a time the US Army was somewhere where the natives chewed a plant with narcotic properties before going into battle. The natives didn't like the US Cavalry or their .38 caliber (9.652 millimeter) pistols. The Cavalry tired to shoot the attacking natives but the .38 didn't even phase them, as they were high on naturally occurring drugs. This made the Cavalry sad, they wanted a gun that would do a better job against primitive junkies. First they made the bullets, and they were called .45 calibers. Then they took the new bullets to a man named John Browning who made a special pistol to fire the new bullet. This made the Cavalry happy, with the new bullet they could hit a crazy charging doped up warrior pretty much anywhere and put him down with no trouble at all

Those damn Filipinos!!!!!:drums:

You can say many bad thing's about Israel, but when it comes to weapons, they're pretty good.

The Galil is quite the weapon.

For home defence something like the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500 would do quite nicely.

Remington 870
http://img53.imageshack.**/img53/5514/marinemag1ir5.jpg

Last edited:
Aye, I use the Mossberg 500A

I want a Spas 12, but they're a little pricey.

Spas 12. I used a Spas 12 in an 8th grade essay.

Would love one, it was a Spas 12 that shot down the space station MIR. :)

If you guys would like to take a look at the actual bill, here you go.

I would also like to add that many of the columnists for the Denver Post are complete retards. If you read the bill none of the bad situations posed by the author of the article are even possible. for example page 3 paragraph (a) makes it clear that this bill could not be used as a defense for shooting a cop during a raid
(a) The person against whom the physical force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, the dwelling, place of business, or vehicle, or if that person had unlawfully removed, or was attempting to unlawfully remove, another person against that person's will from the dwelling, place of business, or vehicle; and
and nowhere in there does it have a provision for carrying a concealed weapon in a car.

Partly due to costs, pellets are much cheaper than rounds, partly due to preference, I find shooting pistols much more of a challenge than a rifle.

You know that pellet guns are not limited to rifles and that there are pleny of .22 caliber pistols on the market - some of which are competition grade target pistols.

I personally love the Supermatic Citation. It's a real honey to shoot.

You know that pellet guns are not limited to rifles and that there are pleny of .22 caliber pistols on the market - some of which are competition grade target pistols.

I personally love the Supermatic Citation. It's a real honey to shoot.

Yes I am looking at an Air Pistol not an Air Rifle in all likelihood. You can't shoot most standard Pistols in this country. I will be using .177 calibre, not .22 as that is the competition standard.
This is the kind of gun I will be shooting.
rohm_twinmatch.jpg

:no: Too bad. Now if you lived in America....

He'd be more likely to die in a shooting, he'd be much more likely to go to jail (somehow..), but he WOULD be able to buy a gun. :tease: