Malaysia firm's 'Muslim car' plan

Hatmouse

Car(s)
'03 Civic Si
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7089707.stm

The Malaysian carmaker Proton has announced plans to develop an "Islamic car", designed for Muslim motorists.

Proton is planning on teaming up with manufacturers in Iran and Turkey to create the unique vehicle.

The car could boast special features like a compass pointing to Mecca and a dedicated space to keep a copy of the Koran and a headscarf.

The idea came during a visit to the Middle East by a delegation of Malaysian politicians and businessmen.

Malaysian press reports say officials in Iran originally suggested the idea.

Safety features or fuel economy is one way of selling a car, but Proton thinks vehicles designed specifically for Muslims across the world represent a huge gap in the market.

Proton is the most dominant car on the streets here but the company has suffered recently after the government allowed more foreign cars to be imported.

The firm has been in talks recently with VW about a takeover by the German car giant.

I misread that first sentence in a pretty big fashion, the first time I read it.

Also: :?

VW has already made a Muslim car:

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2023134327871002095&q=terrorist+car+ad&total=77&start=0&num=100&so=0&type=search&plindex=1[/GVIDEO]

It already exists! (well, in Syria anyway, they have taste!)
mercedes.jpg

istockphoto_2667979_yellow_cab.jpg

What would you prefer anyway, a comfy old merc or a crappy Proton?

Last edited:
PR speech for "We gave up on ever producing good cars so we though appealing to muslim values to sell cars was a good idea".

Because even Malaysians aren't supporting them anymore. They make crappy cars!!!

It probably won't work. The compass will point to the nearest town centre or market, and the space for storage will be only large enough for a pocket sized dictionary. Or some TNT.

Wow, just when you thought "Buy American 'cuz it's patriotic!" was bad.

must.....not......think......of.....politically....incorrect....jokes.......

Then again you could make a car based on all religions, bible bashing american car, a hindu mobile with cow avoidance....you could go on and on......

The car could boast special features like a compass pointing to Mecca and a dedicated space to keep a copy of the Koran and a headscarf.

If I were Muslim I would be pretty offended by that. Talk about stereotyping!

How about other religions and sects?
The car designed for Catholics would have a special holder for a rosary and guilt and a compass that points to the nearest bar on Saturday night.
The car designed for Protestants would have a special holder for casseroles and have a compass that points to the nearest golf course.
The car designed for Baptists would have a special holder for all THAT DER HELLFIRE! and have a compass that points to the nearest revival tent. Or waffle house.

See?

Oh my..

Proton are allowed to do this, so why can't Jezza make his quintessential German car? :p

almost any evil German Car now can be ordered with one of these ...
dualdisplayol.jpg

and from what I?ve heard ... most of them even come with one of these to store your holy book of choice ...

Magnetic north is a LOT easier to point to than a specific spot on the Earth. Only way I see being able to do this is GPS and a mini-computer.

lol... yea. IMO, they only made 3 acceptable cars (didn't say they were good... just acceptable), Perdana, Satria GTi and the Putra.

That's because those (Perdana, Satria GTi and the Putra) were re-badge Mitsubishis'..:p

The car designed for Protestants would have a special holder for casseroles and have a compass that points to the nearest golf course.
A special holder for casserole? I think that would surpass any ecumenical boundaries and be appealing to little old ladies the world over :lol:.

This is one of the silliest damn idea's I've ever heard, hooray for capitalism! Haha, and add me to the list of people who misread this:
The Malaysian carmaker Proton has announced plans to develop an "Islamic car", designed for Muslim motorists.

Are we going to have to call the army and bomb squad every time we see this car?