• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Manual gearbox for the M5

bihus

Car(s)
BMW 330Cd
"BMW's M Division is being forced to rethink its gearbox strategy. Both the M5 and M6 were intended to be offered only with an SMG automated manual 'box, but pressure from dealers in the US (M's biggest market) has resulted in M having to rapidly develop a conventional three-pedal manual system.

According to the US dealers, sales are being lost because of the current SMG-only strategy. They say that customers in the US choose M-cars because they want to be different and enjoy a real drivers' car; they feel the SMG 'box isn't involving enough. This is good news for potential M-car customers in the UK because if manual versions are produced for the US (and they almost certainly will be) then pressure will be applied from BMW GB to have the car in rhd.

The seven-speed internals of the SMG 'box were never intended to work with an H-gate shifter, so manual M5s and M6s will have a six-speeder; with over 500bhp, neither is going to feel stretched with six slightly wider ratios. Indeed, with the 155mph limiter, the manuals may forego some of the theoretical 205mph V-max and keep exactly the same first six ratios. "

Saw thin on a portuguese forum, but don't know the source.

of course BMW should make a manual... I'm glad they finally thought it true... BMW is the ultimate driving machine and obviously it should have 3 pedals and not a gearbox an old-lady can drive :D

That's good news :)

See, we Americans are good for something :lol: ;)

That's right, bow to the US market bitches. :lol:

Re: Manual gearbox for the M5

bihus said:
"...but pressure from dealers in the US (M's biggest market) has resulted in M having to rapidly develop a conventional three-pedal manual system."

Good news! :thumbsup:
I was a bit disappointed and surprised that BMW M only offered the SMG gearbox and no manual anyway!

I'm surprised though that there is pressure from the Americans, who want a manual! :lol:

bihus said:
"...neither is going to feel stretched with six slightly wider ratios. Indeed, with the 155mph limiter, the manuals may forego some of the theoretical 205mph V-max and keep exactly the same first six ratios."

This would suck IMO! Wider ratios are okay but just ditching the 7th gear and having a lower top speed?? :thumbsdown:
If I'd buy a M5 I'd remove the limiter ASAP, because I live in Germany! :mrgreen:

cya
Oliver

LOL, it seems like the only people that knows a good gearbox are Americans!

I've tried those paddle shifters on many cars. They are great because you can change from manual to full auto mode. This is crucial when you drive in Southern California traffic! However, it won't allow me to do things on the track that is only possible with the traditional clutch pedal and gear knob. (i.e. shift lock)

We will most likely never see a 7-speed conventional gearbox on any car. It's been determined that it would be a bit too complicated to gate 7-gears on a shifter. Since we already see 7-speed and 8-speed cars all over the place now, maybe this is the end of the conventional gearbox!!!

Cruzz563 said:
That's good news :)

See, we Americans are good for something :lol: ;)

That was the exact commentary made on the other forum... :lol:

They could do a 7-speed manual if they went back to the old-school electronic overdrive. 1 through 6 on the shifter, then press a button for 7th. It's not like you'd be using it much anyway.

Problem is making an overdrive unit that can take 500HP. :twisted:

hmmm.. 6 speed manual is good.. I wonder if they thought of making it 7 speed lol :p I think that'll be too much though.. but what sucks is the top speed thing like olib said.. so for once manual will be slower than semi-auto :(

I really doubt this is going to happen...
"If you don't like ze geerbox you can buy anoser car..." BMW is the most efficient car company in the world (moneywise) and won't give a damn about 50 M models beeing sold less
Any anyway, semi-automitics are faster in 0-60 (or whatever) terms for years now...

I wouldn't mind having a tricked out smg gearbox in my M5 or M6... It has been developed on this basis and will most probably work best with that...

Buba

oliB said:
This would suck IMO! Wider ratios are okay but just ditching the 7th gear and having a lower top speed?? :thumbsdown:
If I'd buy a M5 I'd remove the limiter ASAP, because I live in Germany! :mrgreen:

cya
Oliver
well, anyway the seventh ratio and higher top speed would only matter for you deutschers, so i suppose that we all will be given the option.

BTW, I have heard if you live in germany and you pull the right strings, the guys at M will yank the limiter for you, for a price of course.

Renesis said:
you guys also creaed the demand for the Porsche Cayenne, so you're even

True, but if it helps Porsche stay independent, it can't be all bad...70/30 Bad/Good. :)

bihus said:
According to the US dealers, sales are being lost because of the current SMG-only strategy. They say that customers in the US choose M-cars because they want to be different and enjoy a real drivers' car; they feel the SMG 'box isn't involving enough.

Wow, and of all places it's America! Gee, I thought no one here drives a manual anymore! ;) :p

Joking aside, glad to hear it's mostly the enthusiasts that are the ones buying these cars and BMW actually listened.

usually auto lovers go for the e55 instead of the M5, M5 fans would always take a manual tranny over a auto. altho that smg is seriously good.. hmm :p

As an auto lover, I would take the M5 every time... :)

i would always choose a manual over anything with "flappy paddles". i know they are faster, but that is not what driving is about to me, i would rather enjoy a happy spirited stroll than a flying bore <8- P i heard that they are pretty slow on downshifts though, i have never been in a car equipped with it, but would anyone with experience like to step in?