Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Semi-Automatic

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

topgearwascool

Car(s)
2001 (51 Reg) Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet 2.0 S 2dr
I prefer manual transmission.

I do like automatics... But in Britain, where I'll be learning to drive, it is law that you can only have an automatic license if you learn/pass your test on an automatic car, but with manual transmission, learn/pass the test on that and; You can drive whatever transmission car you want... I'm going to learn to drive on this car, so that's why it's important...
As soon as I pass my test/get a full UK driver's license, then I'd think about this...
This car has caught my attention and, had it have actually been manual, it'll be mine right now.
But I love my car.
But once I pass my test, I could look at bigger cars (like 4x4s and SUVs) and automatics.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C548192#

You have a car but you haven't learned how to drive or passed the driving test?

I figure, while I still can.
Besides, I can drive, just not on public roads unless someone else is there insured to drive the car too, and not on the motorway.
I'm also learning with a UK driving school.
But now I have something to practise on. :)

Last edited:
I prefer a good manual trans on a small engine car to get the most out of it. Or in a car where you may not expect it. Large engine cars, like musclecars and luxury sport sedans can get away with good automatics, and trucks used for towing are best with big engines and good autoboxes.

My MINI Cooper has a 6 speed manual, because it's a 1.5 liter turbo, but my 740i Sport has a great 5 speed automatic with manual mode. Love that car with that trans. It fits its character.

Flappy paddle dual-clutch automatic all the way. I'd have it in my Viper if I could. :)

Lenco...

OHdrijj.jpg

Manual. Besides being fun, it makes cars feel more mechanical, like a real piece of equipment.

On a side note, I don't acknowledge "semi-automatic" as a real thing. They're all just automatics to me. Which is not a bad thing, just embrace it already people. :p

Definitely manual.

I only had two requirements when I bought my car: that was the colour, and that it be a manual.
There was an identical auto XR6 also available at the auction, which Dad was trying to talk me into, but I wasn't interested.

Funnily enough I even prefer manual in the buses I drive. The autos don't shift down efficiently enough on hills for my liking.

I did try out the flappy paddles on the GT86 I drove, but I'd need more time to get used to the car than I had, for it to feel natural. Even the sports shift mode on mother's car feels odd, but since she's usually in the car with me, she yells at me for using it anyway. But if you give it a boot, if does kick down pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Automatic. My first three cars were manual, then I switched to automatics and never looked back.

I also own two work vans, one is a 3.0 160hp Fiat Ducato which has enough oomph to be a somewhat comfortable automatic, the other one is a larger and a lot heavier 3-axle 2.8 ~120hp Fiat Ducato boxtruck which importantly has a manual gearbox.

I'm happy with either depending on the car and it's intended use. That doesn't mean that combination has to make sense either. I wouldn't be against having two gearboxes in one car for the best of both worlds (R380 manual and ZF auto side-by-side in a V8 Range Rover for example) and a modified LR transfer box to choose between the two.

I still like the idea of getting a Smart Roadster with it's semi-auto, despite it's well-known slow changes it's probably on a par with a relaxed manual change (unless they fixed that).

Manual. Besides being fun, it makes cars feel more mechanical, like a real piece of equipment.

On a side note, I don't acknowledge "semi-automatic" as a real thing. They're all just automatics to me. Which is not a bad thing, just embrace it already people. :p

Personally, I consider a "semi-automatic" when it has a manual transmission with an automatic clutch, like the PDK, DCT, etc.
If it has a torque converter, it's an automatic.
But that's me. :lol:

Electric car, or Koeneggseg Regera?

Or maybe CVT?

As for my preference:

44066_funny_batman_funny_batman_i_liek_chocolate_milk.jpg

Or maybe CVT?

wouldn't that technically be infinite gears? :D So the exact opposite?

edit: also, your pic doesn't seem to want to load for me for whatever reason (might be shitty work internet i'm stuck behind...)

We got a Golf GTE as a company car now and I drove that today... I'm fine with whatever the hell is happening in that thing (I think it's just a dual clutch thing), because it just gets the job done. My car is a manual, which is fine, but honestly, if it wouldn't have cost me some 2.500? I'd probably have gone with the DSG in that as well...

For a long time I hated automatics and laughed openly at people who used them... Then I started to actually commute in traffic and have been using automatic eever since. Would not change back. If you drive in a city, an automatic is the only way to go.

I'd say semi automatic is any automatic, be it clutched auto or torque converter auto, with a full manual mode, where you're still choosing the gear and it hold in that gear when selected. The Steptronic in my E38 is the latter. When you go to the manual mode, it only goes into whatever gear you've selected and it holds it there whether you come to an idle or go WOT. The only difference is you're not pushing a clutch pedal, but youre still manully selecting the gears.