Manual XK in US

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Is it possible to get an XK X100 with a manual tranny in the US without fitting one yourself?

No, none were ever imported by Jaguar Cars USA. And I don't think there was ever a manual X100, either.

The best you can do is what I did for my X100 XKR - check around on the Internet for a paddle-shift kit. I forget where I got mine, but it was $1100 from some place in England and worth every penny.

Ah I suspected they would have made a manual version, a XK is suppose to be a sports car.

How much work was involved with installing the paddle kit, and how well did it perform?

I let the dealership install it, as it involved some delicate patching of the transmission controls and much dismantling of the steering column (and the airbag is NOT YOUR FRIEND when trying this sort of thing). It did very well, despite some early goofs and missteps (for example, it would sometimes get confused and shift into N when shifting initially) but they were rapidly ironed out. Once it was good to go, it was a blast to drive.

You should know that the X100's transmission is the one in the E430 or E55 (R-models). Yes, a Mercedes transmission in a British car owned by Ford.

How much did it costs to get the dealer to install it?

It cost about $1300.. or it would have if I'd paid full retail labor for it.

But I didn't, since I have an "in" with my dealership. :D

It came out to about $750 with my discount. And the case of Guinness I brought in for all to enjoy.

Ah ok, well I ask as my Dad is bouncing back and forth on which roadster he wants to buy in the next year or so. Since it is going to be a fun weekend car he wants something with a manual, or similar.

Thanks to depreciation X100 XKRs are pretty cheap to buy, and look like a good choice, except for the fact they are only automatics.

Welll... the automatic is pretty good on its own and honestly, the XKRs tend to be more cruiser than hard core sports car. Especially the pre 03 models - they can catch the unwary out pretty badly when the tail swings out with the stability control off. Even with it on, recovery can be difficult (if something else caused the tail to step out too much, like a slick spot of pavement at the wrong time). Of course, I'd fixed mine with different alignment settings and some tweaking, but still.

Will I don't see my 64 year old father doing any hard core racing. It will probably be mostly a cruiser, but he enjoys manuals and some sportiness. If he just wanted something to cruise around in without any pretense of sportiness he would get an early 60s Lincoln Continental or similar.

Oh it's fun to drive. (Or, was, in my case. Thanks for wrecking it, Dad!) The automatic is, surprisingly, acceptable. It's a blast to drive, you just have to know where the limits are. I didn't find the automatic to be limiting in normal driving, but I did want to take the thing to track days and I didn't think the auto would select the proper gear I wanted at the split second I wanted on the track. It did very well on the street, though.

Have him take one for a test drive, see what he thinks. The coupes are cheaper (and I'll probably wind up getting a coupe if I get another X100), but the convertible is great. And in a straight line it's stable to 155mph and beyond. I recommend you get the R-model, by the way. :D

Well I'll mention it. Though I suspect he just enjoys switching gears. Makes driving a bit more involving and fun.

In that case, he might want to look at a 95-96 XJS *6* cylinder. Not as fast, but entertaining to drive since they have a torquey six, all the big bugs are gone, and they *were* available in the States and elsewhere with a Getrag 5 speed manual.

Are you dead set on a jag-u-are? Great cars, but not really a fun weekend-mobile. Surely you could afford to go with something more fun and less practical than a XJ.

He's looking at an XK, not an XJ. The XK and the XJS is the coupe/convertible. The XJ is the sedan.

And "more fun"??? From a Camry driver that can't understand cars with souls?

Last edited:
Reactions: VR6
In that case, he might want to look at a 95-96 XJS *6* cylinder. Not as fast, but entertaining to drive since they have a torquey six, all the big bugs are gone, and they *were* available in the States and elsewhere with a Getrag 5 speed manual.

I suggested the idea and he is interested. The purchase is still a bit a ways so he will no doubt change his mind a couple hundred times before the purchase.

My dad isn't committed to the idea of a Jaguar, but he did own a few British cars back in the day (including an Austin-Healey 3000, a Jaguar Mark V, and an MG Midget) despite having owned the Midget he still likes British cars; hence Jags are on his mind.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

I suggested the idea and he is interested. The purchase is still a bit a ways so he will no doubt change his mind a couple hundred times before the purchase.

My dad isn't committed to the idea of a Jaguar, but he did own a few British cars back in the day (including an Austin-Healey 3000, a Jaguar Mark V, and an MG Midget) despite having owned the Midget he still likes British cars; hence Jags are on his mind.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

Alternately... has he looked at what a modernized E-Type costs? They're surprisingly affordable.

Alternately... has he looked at what a modernized E-Type costs? They're surprisingly affordable.

The only place I know which provides them is the one mention in Top Gear, and I wouldn't consider that cheap. Even non modified E-Types are horrendously expensive.

Um....

You do realize that a good E-Type OTS (that's "convertible") is only about $25-40K now, right? The days of million dollar E-Types ended in the early 90s. And the bottom has recently fallen out of the foreign car collecting market.

Um....

You do realize that a good E-Type OTS (that's "convertible") is only about $25-40K now, right? The days of million dollar E-Types ended in the early 90s. And the bottom has recently fallen out of the foreign car collecting market.

Why did that happen?

Um....

I just did a quick look at Hemmings and they seem to be closer to 40k which is more than he is willing to spend.