Mark Webber seriously injured in cycling accident

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
Webber seriously injured in bike smash

Australian Formula One racer Mark Webber has been seriously injured after being hit by a car while competing in his multisport challenge in Tasmania.

Webber, who drives for F1's Red Bull team, was cycling along Fortesque Bay Road, near Port Arthur on the Tasman peninsula, when he and a Nissan X-Trail vehicle collided, Tasmania Police Sergeant Jon Ford told AAP.

Sergeant Ford said Webber was competing in his own charity event, the Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge, a 250km challenge using mountain bikes, kayaks and trekking, when the accident happened about 12.40pm today.

"As a result of the collision, the rider, Mark Webber, suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries," Sergeant Ford said.

"He was attended at the scene by paramedics attached to the event before being airlifted to the Royal Hobart Hospital."

Sergeant Ford said the event was being raced on open public roads and it was not known whether the stage along Fortesque Bay Road was cordoned off specifically for the racers.

The male driver of the Nissan X-trail escaped injury but no further details were known about the motorist, he added.

Webber was competing on the penultimate day of the five-day challenge, which also includes abseiling and whitewater rafting.

Source

Get well soon Mark.

FUCKING STUPID TASMANIAN DRIVERS!!!!!!!

FUCKING STUPID TASMANIAN DRIVERS!!!!!!!

:lmao:

BTW, get well soon Mark, and hopefully your injuries are not too serious. :)

I was worried for a second there, sounds like he's going to make a full recovery. Get well soon Mark.

EDIT - In regards to the Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge, does anyone know if any of the other F1 drivers are competing this year, I know Heikki Kovalainen was going to do it last year, but didn't and said he'll try to do it this year.

Last edited:
Until a group of Mark Webber fans find him and kick the crap out of him!

Get well soon Mark!

It'd be an interesting conversation topic at the dinner table:

'So guess who I ran over last week...'

Sounds like he'll be alright, so best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

According to Ninemsn, Webber has broken a leg.

ninemsn said:
It is understood Webber, who has been driving in Formula One since 2002, has suffered a broken leg.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery!

noooooooooooooo mark!

get well soon mate! ):

Just saw the news on TEN. Seriously, Mark is really one of the better drivers in the paddock, its just the car is holding him back.

Have a speedy recovery Mark!

Edit: They think it will stop him for 6 weeks.

Man this guy has no luck. Get well soon Mark!

Reactions: L2D
Did the gearbox on his bike break?

Terrible news. Really hope he gets well ASAP as he seems like a genuinely nice bloke; something you can't say about every Formula 1 driver.

Get well soon Mark! It would be good to know the extent of his injuries though, I've read various different reports.

If he really did break his leg then it means Mark won't be able to participate in the upcoming Race of Champions on the 14th of December.

If he really did break his leg then it means Mark won't be able to participate in the upcoming Race of Champions on the 14th of December.

When I read reports like this,

"Event director Geoff Donohue said he could not confirm reports that Webber had suffered multiple arm and leg fractures until doctors had a chance to properly diagnose the Australian driver."

then I hope it's "just" a broken leg...