Maserati Biturbo To Be Crushed

What i dont get is why these cars are being crushed, if they were parted out and resold through junkyards that would provide an even better economic benefit, by supporting local businesses such as junk yards. It would also help the enviroment though the recycling of car parts and metals that could be reused.

oh well im glad something like this is yet to be implemented where i live.

What i dont get is why these cars are being crushed, if they were parted out and resold through junkyards that would provide an even better economic benefit, by supporting local businesses such as junk yards. It would also help the enviroment though the recycling of car parts and metals that could be reused.

Apparently according to our resident Texan, all the junkyards are full.

Well, that and since the law says the end result must be that the cars are shredded or crushed, that's why.

Those cars are AWFUL. A friend of my parents had one, his engine seized like every 2000km. He drove it for 20.000km and ditched it because it was pissing him off so badly.

The biturbo is definately not an awful car. The ONLY problem with it is horrible reliability. If you can get around that, it's a very decent sports saloon..

Screw Cash for clunkers..:mad:

What the fuck? Yes the BiTurbo probably is a rubbish car, but that doesn't mean SOMEONE can't get some enjoyment out of it. And by the gods whatever parts are available someone with some sense should go snag them before the car gets crushed. GOD I hate this C4C program, it seriously angers me to the core. :mad: I get pissed off when the scamerment--I mean goverment uses my tax money for bullshit. But now that this hits directly with a huge passion of mine--that being automobiles--I am outraged. I can't begin to describe my disgust and seeing Fbodies, Foxbodies, European sports coupes/saloons, Japanese sport coupes/saloons and vintage or classic cars being traded in with this program by the most retarded dumb-fuck owners.

What's changed is that all the junkyards in major metro areas are full, so all the C4C cars are going off to the crushers now.

I knew that was going to happen.

Yup, I know about the disposal clauses. It's really annoying because (as with almost all the other legislation to come out of this administration) they weren't actually that clear on what parts constitute "the drivetrain". Most people seem to think it's what the dealer would cover under a drivetrain or powertrain warranty.

Why does this annoy me? Because someone early on in the C4C debacle turned in a very low miles 1995 WD21 Pathfinder SE with the optional and uncommon limited slip rear diff/rear disc brake rear axle. Which I can't buy from the junkyard because it's part of "the drivetrain."

What the FUCK does the drive axle have to do with emissions or 'downgrading fuel economy'??

CNN ran a story today about how C4C is devastating the non-dealership auto repair industry. They had several mechanics and shop owners from Atlanta on and they all said that they had seen a huge drop in business with the advent of C4C. Several said that they had had to lay off workers or were probably going out of business and that this was common in their sector now.

The dominoes are starting to fall now.

Seriously, I went to get an oil change in the van and the serivce writer practically GAVE me FREE LABOR AND AIR FILTER just to have his mechanic get some work to do. It costed me $10 for the air filter + labor. Seriously, the service industry and mom/pop auto shops are getting DEVISTATED by C4C. Not to mention muffler and brake shops too.

Can I kick the goverment in the balls yet? :mad::mad::mad:

I agree. In fact, I kind of like the looks of the Biturbo, especially the 425/430 4 door saloon. It's kind of a shame that the reliability issues (And that K Car convertible abortion.) brought the Maserati name down to new lows.

If I were Alejandro DeTomaso, I would have borrowed a page from Ferrari's book and not badged the Biturbo and its variants as Maseratis. Keep the Maserati name for the Quattroporte, Merak and Khamsin, and call the cheaper Biturbo just Biturbo. Like the 206/246 Dino in the 1970s.

And yes, screw Cash for Clunkers

What the fuck? Yes the BiTurbo probably is a rubbish car, but that doesn't mean SOMEONE can't get some enjoyment out of it. And by the gods whatever parts are available someone with some sense should go snag them before the car gets crushed. GOD I hate this C4C program, it seriously angers me to the core. :mad: I get pissed off when the scamerment--I mean goverment uses my tax money for bullshit. But now that this hits directly with a huge passion of mine--that being automobiles--I am outraged. I can't begin to describe my disgust and seeing Fbodies, Foxbodies, European sports coupes/saloons, Japanese sport coupes/saloons and vintage or classic cars being traded in with this program by the most retarded dumb-fuck owners.

The SEMA show is going to be very - interesting - this year. I'll have to ask some of the vendors how they feel about C4C.

To add to what I was saying in my last post. I don't even want to see cars that I HATE get crushed JUST because of the program. I need to quit reading the interweb, its causing me stress.

I may type corrected on the Biturbos - I reserve the right to dispute it later. Right now I don't have enough time to go check my original source.

My books and research on these cars shows the same info. Carbs up until at least 87, even in the US.

Why does this annoy me? Because someone early on in the C4C debacle turned in a very low miles 1995 WD21 Pathfinder SE with the optional and uncommon limited slip rear diff/rear disc brake rear axle. Which I can't buy from the junkyard because it's part of "the drivetrain."

you can't just swap out the pumpkin, or get an aftermarket lsd, for the non LSD optioned rear brake axle?

What the fuck? Yes the BiTurbo probably is a rubbish car, but that doesn't mean SOMEONE can't get some enjoyment out of it.

As much as I hate the program, unlike most stupid people trading their cars in (like the dumbass that traded in a Lexus LX 450), the guy with the biturbo tried to sell it for $3500 for a couple months.

Last edited:
you can't just swap out the pumpkin, or get an aftermarket lsd, for the non LSD optioned rear brake axle?

You can get an aftermarket locker for the non-LSD axle, and you can swap in the CLSD out of a 300ZX or another Nissan pickup. Since I do most of my driving on road, I don't want a locker... and of course all the guys with the 300ZXs want the LSD and drive the prices up. Plus swapping in a pumpkin is a huge PITA; a simple full axle swap is easier and could even be done in the junkyard parking lot in a few minutes.

Also, most of the LSD rear axles were fitted with drum brakes. I hate drum brakes. Most of the disc brake axles I've found were non-LSD. This one has both, and therefore is what I need to do a fast swap. (I currently have open diff/rear drums and want LSD/discs.)

And f**king Obama and the f**cking Democrats say I can't f**king have it. Because it might hurt their precious f**king Gaia.

The really irritating part? The 95 Pathfinder that got C4C'd only had 47,000 miles on it.

That's not a typo. 47K. And the interior/exterior looks like it'd never been parked in the sun a day in its life, let alone used.

Can I kick the goverment in the balls yet? :mad::mad::mad:

Isn't secession looking better and better?

Last edited:
And f**king Obama and the f**cking Democrats say I can't f**king have it. Because it might hurt their precious f**king Gaia.

"write the White House a letter and don't care if they don't read it":p

sorry, trying to put some humor in a depressing thread.

You can get an aftermarket locker for the non-LSD axle, and you can swap in the CLSD out of a 300ZX or another Nissan pickup. Since I do most of my driving on road, I don't want a locker... and of course all the guys with the 300ZXs want the LSD and drive the prices up. Plus swapping in a pumpkin is a huge PITA; a simple full axle swap is easier and could even be done in the junkyard parking lot in a few minutes.

So what you are saying is that you don't like this bit of legislation because you are too damn lazy to do a diff swap? :tease:

Um, no. Did you notice the part about "needing to swap the axle to get disc brakes"?

I'd also have to find a CLSD (most of them were VLSDs and LSDs weren't that common to begin with as Nissan wanted a lot for them).

Even if I found one and swapped it in, I'd still have drum brakes, and those blow.

Last edited:
Are we becoming a huge bunch of drama queens here?
Seriously, its a shit car, noone of you would ever want to buy it so don't complain when it gets destroyed. All that "oh my god obama is destroying all classic cars" nonsense is really getting annoying. If you don't want to see it crushed, buy it.

Jalopnik had a link to that video as well as a C4 Corvette getting the silica treatment.
I wouldn't own either car, but it's still sad to think about it.

The less C4s the better. The only redeeming thing about them is that the C4 ZR-1 had a Lotus engine.

The less C4s the better. The only redeeming thing about them is that the C4 ZR-1 had a Lotus engine.

You forgot the dealership-orderable Callaway Aerobody Twin Turbo, AKA The Sledgehammer. Those were very much not suck.

Over here...

A spokesman for Kia said one of their dealers stopped a customer from sending her 1960s Singer Vogue to an early grave so she could buy their Picanto model at just ?4,195.

The dealer, in Ewell, Surrey, persuaded her to sell the car instead and offered her the money off the new car anyway.

At another dealerships, a horrified salesman saved a 1980s RMB Gentry kit car from the scrap-yard.

Thank god for that. I wish our scrappage scheme didn't allow sixties classics.

Which was a boat anchor of an engine. It was way too expensive for what little performance it provided.

I don't mind the C4's. I especially love the Grand Sports. They just suffered from that era where V8's were choked to death with less then 200hp. With modern aftermarket parts, a C4 would be a lot of fun.

They should give the Maser to some teenage kid who wants something to skin his knuckles on, get him started on a lifetime passion of old Italian cars and a regimen of loud swearing.

Over here...

A spokesman for Kia said one of their dealers stopped a customer from sending her 1960s Singer Vogue to an early grave so she could buy their Picanto model at just ?4,195.

The dealer, in Ewell, Surrey, persuaded her to sell the car instead and offered her the money off the new car anyway.

At another dealerships, a horrified salesman saved a 1980s RMB Gentry kit car from the scrap-yard.

Thank god for that. I wish our scrappage scheme didn't allow sixties classics.

I heard that on NPR as a piece they were doing on elderly, bearded, anoraky classic car owners (of the sort that I aspire to be). It didn't have as much to do with C4C as it did about people who still appreciate old cars. I kept on thinking, "you couldn't find someone with an E-Type to interview?"

Either way, whoever trades in an old 60s car for some depressing Korean shitbox obviously has no soul and will spend the rest of her afterlife in purgatory. Just sayin'. :whistle: