Mass Effect 2

just as a heads up, the final issue of the Mass Effect: Redemption comic book should be going on sale now. I'm really hoping there's another book in the works since this has been a great way to expand and continue the Mass Effect universe and story. I'd really like to see something of a story set during the time of the Protheans and their extermination by the reapers or the story of the Quarians leaving their home to the Geth. Still so much untapped story potential going around.

You're not serious? I bought the books because I'm such a megafan, but I was soundly disappointed. Thin story, flat characters, even the art was just mediocre. To be frank, I expected better.

You're not serious? I bought the books because I'm such a megafan, but I was soundly disappointed. Thin story, flat characters, even the art was just mediocre. To be frank, I expected better.

problem there is that i'm such a Mass Effect fanboy that i bought them and enjoyed them. You're right about the art for the books (although i did like the covers). I'm just hoping that they've opened the door enough to do something more substantial.

apologies for necro'ing this thread. but for the Mass Effect nerds i found out about this little gem on the Mass Effect facebook group.
Mass Effect: The Origin of the Illusive Man
mass-effect-evolution-20100714051108874_640w.jpg

Two games, several DLC packs, dozens upon dozens of hours, countless planets, and however many alien deaths later, there is still one question on the minds of many Mass Effect fans - who is the Illusive Man?
Starting January 2011, Dark Horse plans to address that question in a new four-issue mini-series reuniting the Mass Effect: Redemption team of Mac Walters, John Jackson Miller and Omar Francia. Joining the team will be former Y: The Last Man cover artist Massimo Carnevale. IGN had a chance to grab a few first details from writers Mac Walters and John Jackson Miller.
"The basic idea was that the Illusive Man is, by nature, one of these guys we don't know much about," Walters, the writer of the Mass Effect games, told IGN in an interview. "Going forward in the games we were thinking we didn't want to reveal too much about him [in the present], but we could look into his past and see how he become the Illusive Man and, maybe moreso, where Cerebus came from and how it started. We certainly have a lot of material we've developed internally about this that's not out there publicly and we thought this would be a great forum to share that."
"Evolution is a story from the early days of the Mass Effect universe, not long after the discovery of the Mass Relays connecting our solar system to the galaxy," Miller revealed to IGN. "It shows us one of those important moments when humanity realized just how dangerous that galaxy was. Yes, there's wonderful opportunity out there, but there are also perils; as our story opens, we're in the middle of the First Contact War with the alien turians. We don't know much about the enemy, and they don't know much about us ? and, as we'll find out, there's a lot more at risk than losing a starship or a colony."
"One of the questions we asked ourselves when developing the Illusive Man for the game was who was this guy and how did he get here," Walters said, when asked to detail why Bioware chose to focus in on the Illusive Man. "How does someone come to have this much power and view this world the way he does? And really there's no way to explore that in the game otherwise he wouldn't be illusive! So the opportunity to explore him [made sense to us]."
But who is the star of this series? Who is the Illusive Man? We asked Miller for his sense of the character. "I look at the Illusive Man as a searcher, someone plumbing the mysteries of the galaxy ? but with a specific mindset to his approach," Miller told us. "He's sure there's a darker side to some of the great things humanity's discovered, and he's rushing to find what that is before it's too late. His adventures force him to be a jack-of-all-trades ? part xenobiologist, part intelligence agent, part archaeologist. "As to how he changes ? and is changed ? over the course of the series, well, that's a big part of the story. Let's just say it's impossible to come into such close contact with the mysteries of the universe without being changed by them..."
By no means will Mass Effect: Evolution answer all questions and leave no stones unturned. Miller noted that while the story is in the past and definitely a prequel, there are a number of years between Evolution and the game trilogy. But, Miller added, he was sure fans would get a "good sense" of this mysterious puppet master. And who knows, if fans respond as well to this mini-series as they did for Redemption, we could see more on the Illusive Man. "It's always possible that some of the things we learn in the series may be reflected down the road... there are certainly more story opportunities out there," said Miller.

original article: http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/110/1106020p1.html

also with the release of a Demo for Mass Effect 2 (always wondered why they bothered releasing a demo for a game that came out months ago). BioWare have done a "previously on..." video to help fill in the new fans.

Last edited:
I always thought we should leave him like the Shadow Broker, a mysterious being who happens to know way more than they should. Although, I am quite curious now.

the next DLC pack for Mass Effect 2 has just been announced and it looks to be a good one.
The latest Mass Effect 2 DLC has been revealed, Lair of the Shadow Broker!
Two years ago, Commander Shepard died and Liara T'Soni fought in a desperate struggle against the Shadow Broker to recover her former Commander. Now that Shepard is back, it's time to even the score.
Team up with Liara and confront the mysterious and sinister Shadow Broker in the latest expansion to Mass Effect 2, coming soon! In the mean time check out three new screenshots and stay tuned for more info on Lair of the Shadow Broker.
37867_410201651644_85811091644_4705258_5428562_n.jpg

shadow_broker-03-p.jpg

shadow_broker-02-p.jpg
taken from www.masseffect.com
This is definately what i've been looking for with the DLC. Missions that aren't just one off fighting missions but ones revolving around the actual arc of the Mass Effect universe. BioWare as usual know how to keep sucking the money from my wallet.

Last edited:
not really bothered since Dragon Age was launched on the PS3 and the Xbox at the same time so this was always probably going to happen. Way i see it though is if this brings in more money to BioWare hopefully they will pump this money directly into the development of ME3.

Saw that. The xbox 360 Fanboys are losing their bowels over this. I don't see an issue.

Are those sold out already?

Actually I just wanted to see what it looked like so I could try to scour the web for it, I've been looking for a good-looking desktop wallpaper of the SR-2 for ages.

I'm replaying ME and I've realized how much better the combat system in ME2 is. Everytime I meet synthetics, I have to press I and change the loadout for three people. Well I don't have to, but I have to, you know. Also the cover system in ME is stupid. But one place where ME outshines ME2 is in the little things, I discovered a prothean orb that told a story of a hunter tribe. I want more of these little details in ME3, and in more expansions to ME2.

Last edited:
I'm replaying ME and I've realized how much better the combat system in ME2 is. Everytime I meet synthetics, I have to press I and change the loadout for three people. Well I don't have to, but I have to, you know. Also the cover system in ME is stupid. But one place where ME outshines ME2 is in the little things, I discovered a prothean orb that told a story of a hunter tribe. I want more of these little details in ME3, and in more expansions to ME2.

(1) Combat system of ME2.
(2) Inventory and level-up system of ME2.
(3) Story quality of ME1.
(4) Huge expansive environments of ME1 (comparing the Citadels from ME1 and ME2 is crazy)
(5) No more mining and no more Mako...let's collect minerals by exploring strange and exotic environments in the Hammerhead!

Are those sold out already?

Actually I just wanted to see what it looked like so I could try to scour the web for it, I've been looking for a good-looking desktop wallpaper of the SR-2 for ages.

Yeah, and I'm kinda pissed on how it all went down. They gave a specific time as to when the presale would happen. I got to the sight at the time they specified, but it was not up yet. I refreshed for about 15 minutes but still nothing. I check back about 20 minutes later and it was SOLD OUT! I almost threw my monitor out the window.

Yeah, and I'm kinda pissed on how it all went down. They gave a specific time as to when the presale would happen. I got to the sight at the time they specified, but it was not up yet. I refreshed for about 15 minutes but still nothing. I check back about 20 minutes later and it was SOLD OUT! I almost threw my monitor out the window.

odd for BioWare to drop the ball like that.

(1) Combat system of ME2.
(2) Inventory and level-up system of ME2.
(3) Story quality of ME1.
(4) Huge expansive environments of ME1 (comparing the Citadels from ME1 and ME2 is crazy)
(5) No more mining and no more Mako...let's collect minerals by exploring strange and exotic environments in the Hammerhead!
(6) Continue playing after you've finished the main storyline as in ME2. It's silly that Saren and Souverign that threathen the entire galaxy wait around for me to go around mopping up Cerberus bases on distant planets.