Massa [was] in 'Life-threatening' condition

Latest news from Hungary, after the press conference:

They woke him up more and more frequently this morning and since this afternoon he's not in an induced coma anymore, although he's still sleeping most of the time. When he's awake, he can do simple things, like moving his hands or legs if he is asked to do so. His responses are good so they are hopeful that he won't have any permanent brain damage. His life seems to be out of danger finally.
They don't know about the damage in his eye - they say it could take a week or 10 days to find out how serious his eye injury is.

Very encouraging news. :)
I hope his eye will be ok too.

BBC news said he's ok, but his eye is damaged... which may end his career. :(

BBC news said he's ok, but his eye is damaged... which may end his career. :(

No.

Correct reports say that it's still too early to judge the condition of his eye, because there is still a lot of swelling and it will take about a week to reduce enough for him to open that eye.

EDIT: And latest reports are even more optimistic: doctors expect that Felipe will be able to make a complete recovery. :D

Get well soon, Felipe Baby!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to officially ask for the renaming of this thread to signal Felipe's progress.

EDIT: http://twitter.com/Forza_Felipe

Someone created this Twitter account to which people can send well-wishes to Massa; the guy who created it was supported by Piquet Jr. and Antonio Pizzonia, and if Nelson gets his way, this might also become Felipe's own Twitter page.

EDIT 2: Most recent updates say that he's een tried to get out of bed for bathroom needs, and he is asking his doctors about each and every piece of medical hardware used on him.

Last edited:
No.

Correct reports say that it's still too early to judge the condition of his eye, because there is still a lot of swelling and it will take about a week to reduce enough for him to open that eye.
God that annoys me. How do you know which reports are correct? Are you in the hospital? Are you in contact with Massas family or people at ferrari? Do you know him personally? Just because different media outlets and sources have different reports, some more positive then others, doesn't immediately make one completely true and one completely false. Thats why the term "conflicting reports" was invented. Did you ever stop to consider different outlets of information, especially Ferrari and its business partners have an interest in putting a positive spin on things? As do some media outlets. Don't get me wrong,the report your filing as "correct information" may be 100% accurate, but to just go "No, you're wrong, the information I have heard is what you should all listen too" is close minded. Just take all the information for what its worth, information from the media. Some may be true, some not, but trying to label any as such is pointless without directly knowing people involved in the situation.

God that annoys me. How do you know which reports are correct? Are you in the hospital? Are you in contact with Massas family or people at ferrari? Do you know him personally? Just because different media outlets and sources have different reports, some more positive then others, doesn't immediately make one completely true and one completely false. Thats why the term "conflicting reports" was invented. Did you ever stop to consider different outlets of information, especially Ferrari and its business partners have an interest in putting a positive spin on things? As do some media outlets. Don't get me wrong,the report your filing as "correct information" may be 100% accurate, but to just go "No, you're wrong, the information I have heard is what you should all listen too" is close minded. Just take all the information for what its worth, information from the media. Some may be true, some not, but trying to label any as such is pointless without directly knowing people involved in the situation.

Sorry, I expressed myself the wrong way there. The official reports did a bit of a U-turn on this matter.

Who the hell really cares if medical reports are accurate? He's not god or michael jackson...

He is Michael Jackson to me..I don't care about you..I have my idols and heroes and you have yours..

Woah guys, take it easy.

@be-ach: Vikirad is merely making it easier for the people who see this thread to know what the situation really is. He knows which sources are more trustworthy than others because he has more experience with them than most of us. As I said before, it is better to trust paddock insiders and Fezza media outlets than some newspaper.

@Quiky: Careful man, there are people here (most of us) who care about Massa much more than you do, and certainly much more than about Michael Jackson :cool:. No need to slam them for that.

@stiggles: Thanks for getting back on topic. The news coming from Ferrari is better and better.

Full recovery possible for Massa

By Peter Farkas Monday, July 27th 2009, 18:00 GMT

Felipe Massa's car, HungaryFelipe Massa's condition is continuing to improve as doctors at the AEK Hospital in Hungary, where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsiros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsiros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsiros denied the earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye, which led to speculation about his future participation in Formula 1.

Peter Bazso, the hospital's medical director, explained that it was in fact too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye: "We can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Bazso made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsiros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days."

He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also explained that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman for the AEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.

From news Source

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

How surreal would that be? This is a more of a general statement, not just his accident, but any injury. Millions of people know about what happened to you, there's a whole staff of doctors/nurses working on/with you but you have just a faint idea of why it is all happening.

I said it before on another thread, I hope to see Massa on the grid in Brazil.
I doubt it very much Ferrari will put him in the car before that or after if he drives this season. A day has passed since the accident and it seems like he will join the circus in Brazil as a spectator. Not bad.

It must have felt like being shot in the head by a cannon. and a few days later he is speaking and he is awake... not bad at all. I wish him the best and I hope to see him racing later this year if not I sure as hell hope he comes back in 2010.

@Quiky: Careful man, there are people here (most of us) who care about Massa much more than you do, and certainly much more than about Michael Jackson :cool:. No need to slam them for that.
A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Saying something that is opposite of what is intended to be meant; An act of sarcasm.