Matt2k's ?500 Banger Watch Graveyard

Great info, Samuli! Have you imported any cars after UK's roadtax change? I mean going from disc system to fully online? I'm wondering if non UK-resident can buy roadtax at all now.

Also this:

Ps. DVLA will not know who bought the car, so if it so happens that you drive to speed camera, they will not know who to send the ticket (or at least I have never got one)

How legal is it to drive the car around the UK, and for how long, if it doesn't have a registered owner?

Last edited:
Great info, Samuli! Have you imported any cars after UK's roadtax change? I mean going from disc system to fully online? I'm wondering if non UK-resident can buy roadtax at all now.
Yes I have, they sell it to anyone, no problem.

How legal is it to drive the car around the UK, and for how long, if it doesn't have a registered owner?
If I remember correctly it is two weeks. So you can go for vacation and drive around after buying car.

Edit

It has legal owner, you have papers to prove it. DVLA just does not know who :rolleyes: Normal way is in UK that new owner will deal with DVLA about new ownership.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly it is two weeks. So you can go for vacation and drive around after buying car.

Can't find any solid official info on this. Dave called DVLA, and they "recommended" driving directly out of the country, and it's up to police's discretion what they do when they stop you somewhere north.

I have friend who has driven around UK with two different cars bought from UK, he did check how long you can drive before he bought and got answer "2 weeks"..
You can (and I would) contact GOV and ask from them.
To me DVLA have recommended that I can drive out of island without ROADTAX, so I have learned to ask from GOV, it is slow and complicated but cheaper than ticket.

EDIT

According to DVLA it takes 2-4 weeks for new owner to get new V5C. So I don't see how they can say anything for the two first weeks.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-and-used-vehicles

Last edited:
Very comprehensive guide, the only updates I have, is that MOT Certificates are no longer very nice official looking documents, but plain A4 docs with what looks like a crap word template on. No seals, no marks of approval. So don't be deterred by an MOT sheet that looks bad.

You can also check the MOT history of ANY UK car at the following website, including current status and past passes/fails/advisories. This website is a lifesaver and will tell you more about the car than most sellers can:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Very comprehensive guide, the only updates I have, is that MOT Certificates are no longer very nice official looking documents, but plain A4 docs with what looks like a crap word template on. No seals, no marks of approval. So don't be deterred by an MOT sheet that looks bad.

It really is quite disappointing, I was starting to like the red. :lol:

Best of luck to anyone coming over here to buy a car for the roadtrip, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic "you'll need it" kind of way. :)

Could you please search me a picture of the new one? As I don't know how it looks. I could then update my "how to" story written on Finnish. Thank you.

^That's the same dealer that was selling the BX I posted on the previous page, looks like a treasure trove of old French cars, I'm surprised they haven't had a flood from failed hydrogas systems.

Yeah those wheels look right for a Fiesta XR2, although I hope they didn't sacrifice one of those to build it...

Why not. That's so much better. Many wants. :D

You know I'm actually tempted. I haven't had any info back about the Keely rebuild yet so it's still a no go.