Matt2k's ?500 Banger Watch Graveyard

They look OK but I don't like the look of welded diffs and the MOT on the E46 323 runs out in July. Still liking the 323i on the last page for ?450, tempted to go and see it...

One of those in ~good condition isn't bad car at all, just not the most exiting out there. But go for the test drive, at least you get some idea if you'd like one or not then.

Proton! I'm more interested in the Austin Maxi next to it. :lol:

Diesel isn't allowed, not when there are good petrol engines to be had. :)

Edit: BMW is still for sale, planning on seeing it this afternoon. Everything I look at now doesn't seem to stack up in terms of value for money so if I like it I'll buy it.

Last edited:
Well that 323i was close but something is quite wrong with the rear suspension, it made a bad squeaking noise. Don't know what it was but it sounded expensive. Also all but one of the tyres were at the limit. Otherwise it was pretty good, I still have confidence that I can find a better car in my budget. :)

Well that 323i was close but something is quite wrong with the rear suspension, it made a bad squeaking noise. Don't know what it was but it sounded expensive. Also all but one of the tyres were at the limit. Otherwise it was pretty good, I still have confidence that I can find a better car in my budget. :)

Squeaking in what kind of situations? If it's with all suspension movement, I'd bet it's the outer bushing on lower rear suspension arm. Something you'll find doing the same squeaking eventually on basically all post 90s Mercs and BMWs. No harm in that, just irritating, just had mine replaced on the 1er.. :p

Squeaking in what kind of situations? If it's with all suspension movement, I'd bet it's the outer bushing on lower rear suspension arm. Something you'll find doing the same squeaking eventually on basically all post 90s Mercs and BMWs. No harm in that, just irritating, just had mine replaced on the 1er.. :p

Yeah pretty much all suspension movement, although it didn't happen when we bounced the rear end manually. I assumed it would be a bushing but without the knowledge it seemed like too much of a risk of having to change things like dampers. Swapping the bush looks like a PITA anyway from videos but maybe I should've gone for it.

Currently watching another car on eBay, I won't say what it is but it has more power than the BMW and at the time it was built it was considered one of the best handling FWD cars. :)

Civic Type R? Think they're quite cheap in UKania.

I do hope you find something that you can keep as a surprise for us. That's the proper way of doing the beater challenge after all. :thumbsup:

Yeah I would like to keep it as a surprise, I've been advised against the MG anyway due to known issues with them eating plenum chamber components.

It's amazing what you can get for 500 euros. This is obviously a Nissan Primera, but if we ignore that, it looks like a shit-ton of car for the money.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/-288913074

Xenon lights (assuming they're real), climate control, LEATHER, fake wood, holy hell. Primeras were (around here) usually bought by people that had no clue why anyone would want anything other then the base model.

That is a lot of car for the money, I didn't even know they made Primeras with leather!

Looks like you're getting a lot of rust for the money too...

CityRover :lol:

I remember when James took this for a secret test drive. I wonder how secret it was, considering it was James May after all. I can't believe it was that long ago.