May 10th, 2004

justin syder said:
well this sunday, may 30, was number 4. so 6 more to go, one each week basically a month and a half of TG left. :|

No :(

Do they have a winter Top Gear? What is the Top Gear and 5th Gear seasons dates?

anyone know that song they play when he crashed he's car? title and artist..

Radiohead - 2+2 = 5 for the intro
Radiohead - no surprises for the crashing part

Best band ever

<- radiohead fan

Viper007Bond said:
A "bit" of a geek? He lives with his mom when he's like 30 or whatever (I live with my dad, but I'm only 20 and trying to save for school).

Lol. Like they say, don't believe everything you see in the newspapers, or on TV. ;) This is my place and mom (who's called Jill, not Sarah, btw) doesn't actually live here. However, my folks were hanging around on the day of filming (like yours wouldn't be interested in something like that) and the Fifth Gear crew shot the intro that way because - so they said - it'd create better dramatic contrast when the real car was introduced. They know a damn sight more about making TV than I do so I wasn't about to argue. Having seen the finished feature I can see where they were coming from. Also don't forget that it took a whole day to film, so what you get to see is a very selective, edited cut.

And as for being portrayed as a geek, you run an internet forum, so look who's talking! :D Just goes to show that making sweeping generalisations often isn't fair, agree?

At end of day the film crew weren't interested in giving a rounded view of who I was, they wanted to create a good piece of TV. They arrived with a script, knew what they wanted to show, and also knew how they wanted to show me. I'm not too worried about it cos the fact that you guys are still talking about it a couple of weeks after it aired shows they probably got it right.

Not to mention, did you see his Star Wars collection?
Star Wars collection? A poster and a box set of videos. I bet there are more incriminating things on your shelf! ;) Incidentally, next to that Empire Strikes Back poster is a huge Radiohead tour one (which might explain the choice of music), and next to that a Kill Bill onesheet. Wonder why they didnt' show those???

Auralis said:
what were those two blow up plasticy things?
Cartman from South Park and Wallace and Gromit. You've never heard of them?

I bet it wsa highlight of his life having his few minutes of tv fame
On the contrary, I've done quite a bit of TV in the past and there's plenty more to come.

Creating coverage for my sponsors is an integral part of my "job" as a driver, and getting that feature was a big deal for them. They're really happy with what we did, and the audience figures it got. Hell, even crashing the car was really good news for a couple, as their logos were obscured by my seatbelts when Adrian was interviewing me in the car, but got some real good screentime in the final bit.

If my sponsors are happy, so am I. In fact, if you guys are talking about it, the audience is getting bigger, so thanks guys, keep talking! :D

^^ Sounds like we hit a nerve :lol: j/k.

Anyway, congrats on your new found job as a rally driver (me = insanely jealous). :)

I'd love to see pictures of your car.

ESPNSTI said:
^^ Sounds like we hit a nerve :lol: j/k.
Rofl! :D I was amazed that anyone over that side would have even seen it, let alone be talking about it!

Anyway, congrats on your new found job as a rally driver (me = insanely jealous). :)
Who wouldn't be (apart from Mr Auralis of course ;))? I get to drive as fast as I like in absolutely fantastic cars, and get paid to do it too. The TV thing is, like I said before, an integral part of the job. No sponsor's going to give you (a lot) of money to do something like this unless you give them a return. That feature is part of the return.

I can live with however that feature portrays me, firstly because the exposure is too big an opportunity to ignore, secondly because the benefits of doing it are huge, and mainly because the people who know me, well, they know the real me. At end of day there's no point worrying about something you can't control (it's not like I have creative control over what the TV people do), and in any case it all balances out eventually. I've just shot something for one of the other channels over here that shows me in a totally different way to the 5G one. :)

I'd love to see pictures of your car.
Hell, no problem, I'll find some space somewhere, then post some up later. :)

Edited to say: Haha, it's a big world, but a small internet! :D

Sir, you have a cool ass job (second to the Ring taxi driver in Germany lol), hats off to u man..now where are the pics of the Subaru lol

Richh: too cool, too cool...
I agree to that you shouldn't care about peoples attitude towards how the channel/editors portraid the interview/segment...like you said, you drive as fast as you'd like AND you get paid for it. Not many people can say that!
Keep up your good work, and I hope to "see" more of your contributions on this site ;)
haz

Okay, here ya go fellas. Not sure how big you like your images round here, so figured smaller was better...

First one of the car with its original driver behind the wheel, which is, obviously enough, ?1999 Subaru World Rally Team...
swrt001.jpg

int001.jpg

eng001.jpg

5g001.jpg

5g002.jpg

5g004.jpg

5g005.jpg

5g006.jpg

5g007.jpg

5g008.jpg

Very nice :)
haz

hey welcome aboard!

the world is indeed a very small place! :D

Congrats on your new job, it must rock! 8) Good luck mate!

*EDIT* - Eeek, didn't notice there was another page of posts I missed. :|

First off, assuming it is you, hey! :)

Second, :oops:. ;) Yes, I baised my comments on what I saw on the show, so you can't blame me. :p They made it look like you lived with your mom. ;)

And yes, I am a geek, I admit it! (Just don't tell anyone. :p) And yes, they seemed to of protrayed you differently. Again, just going off what they showed and they made it look like the entire room was filled with Star Wars stuff. ;)

Wallace and Gromit as awesome. 8)

And seriously, I've very envious. I love rally racing to death as much as I can (I am in the USA with no cable TV, so my exposure to the sport is fairly limited. :cry:)

Viper007Bond said:
*EDIT* - Eeek, didn't notice there was another page of posts I missed. :|
Don't you use the "View posts since last visit" thingy?

I do, but it took me to page 3 as those are where the new posts started. I didn't notice the page 4. ;)

hooollllyyyy, you said it renesis -- its a small world indeed

That is too cool that you can see someone on TV, then a few days later they post on a forum you are on