No 56k: May 17th celebrations in Norway

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
If you're from Norway (or in Norway), and used your camera to day, leave your moments here.. :)

May 17th is the day when Norwegians celebrate our constitution. Most people march through the streets, brass bands playing marches, the King's Song and the National Anthem Ja vi elsker. In the course of the day, you see many fantastic characters and lovely situations. Let's start off with some tradtional street photography.

Mourning
17mai-bw-01.jpg

The day of festivities is a time to mourne those no longer with us.

A long day
17mai-bw-02.jpg

A long day can get boring.

An American voice
17mai-bw-03.jpg

Despite appearances, the relationship between Norway and America is a strong one. This American couple lives locally.

Multiculture
17mai-bw-05.jpg

A sign of the new Norway is the influx of different skin colors and different cultures in the celebrations.

The children's day
17mai-bw-06.jpg

May 17th is seen as the children's day. Somehow, parents usually get the upper hand.

So, let's just have some in color, just for good measure. :)

The happies
17-mai-farge-01.jpg

Isn't it wonderful? Three black men, probably the happiest people here today!

Tiresome dress
17-mai-farge-02.jpg

Every region of Norway has it's own traditional dress for men and women, commonly called "bunad". It's more common with women than men. This young girl is wearing a.. err.. I'm not sure what kind of bunad it is. It isn't exactly something I've studied. Looks tired though, don't you think?

Russ
17-mai-farge-03.jpg

17-mai-farge-04.jpg

This is russ. For more information, see my thread on the matter from 2007. Warning! It's full of bad language and silly sentences.

Kids marching
17-mai-farge-05.jpg

First of all, children from the local schools march up and down the street, these kids are in the third grade, if I recall correctly.

Rain
17-mai-farge-06.jpg

Bunads isn't the ideal thing to wear when it rains. So, a bunad umbrella. Go figure.

More rain.
17-mai-farge-07.jpg

No bunad. What the fuck?

So, you learned (sort of) something today. And you probably find us Norwegians even more nutty than you thought. Unless you're from Norway, obviously.

Hipp hurra for syttende mai!

:cheers:

Looks like a good time, I've been a fan of Russ since the last thread you posted describing it. Second photo of the bunch is my fave.

That's probably how the Russ see the world at the middle of the day on May 17th, as they've been boozing since 8 in the morning on May 16th.

:p