"May on Mayo" 03.11.2008

Ironlord

Simon Mayo is on Radio Five Live now, and as we heard on last night's TG, James May will be featuring. I now hear he'll be on from 3 pm onwards.

I recorded his last appearance, but upyourego beat me to posting the edit.

This time, victory will be mine!

Check back here in about an hour and a half.

If it works I'll have it posted in no time at all, probably on 95's FTP. upyourego may be also working on this in case my version doesn't work.

I have my DAB radio connected to my laptop, and I'll be recording the "stereo out" stream via Audacity - even though Five Live only broadcasts in mono (at least on DAB anyway). As a backup, I am recording the signal from my ex-NTL box onto VHS, where the sound quality is fine. My video has line out sockets - the cable box doesn't, otherwise I'd be doing it that way.

The DAB signal is occasionally dodgy, which is the other reason I'm using VHS as backup. But I think I've found a position where the signal doesn't drop.

People of the UK, and maybe in Holland with access to Five Live on MW, James will be on the third section of the show which starts in nine minutes. Switch your radios on.

Minor hiccup - James has come on a bit before 3 pm at the end of the "Fake Sheikh"'s section. I can rectify this with my VHS recording. So, check here at about... 4:30 or so, GMT. An hour and a half from now.

Reactions: Zed
22 minutes in. You are all going to enjoy this one.

EDIT: 35 minutes in, and they've said goodbye to James. I am going to keep recording on VHS in case he comes back. Then, at 4 pm, when Simon Mayo finishes, I'll add on the bit at the beginning. Meanwhile I will start editing the Audacity recording.

Last edited:
So... it is done!

If you all look on 95's FTP, you will see: may_on_mayo_03_11_2008.mp3 in the "Upload" folder.

Meanwhile, for those of you who want an HTTP link, I will temporarily be hosting the same file here:

http://www.rickdangerous.co.uk/media/may_on_mayo_03_11_2008.mp3

The file is 128 kb/s, mono, length 33m12s.

upyourego's collection of previous TG host appearances or radio shows can be found at http://upyourego.com/topgear/audio/. upyourego: feel free to swipe it if you want. I've kept it at the same bitrate as the previous James May file. You might want to include the dates of these if possible, though; the last of the James May appearances was 14th July 2008, Richard Hammond's appearance was 23rd October 2008. I missed that one, actually, and should take a listen.

During this programme, Simon Mayo mentioned that it was possible to watch them live in the studio - though at the start of the recording you will hear here, they have a plastic cup over the webcam to conceal the identity of the Fake Sheikh. I never found a link for this on the Five Live website, but presumably it must have been possible to record that with StreamDown, Orbit Downloader or one of those other useful programs... the Richard Hammond interview turned up as a couple of YouTube videos, but I don't know if this one will surface.

EDIT: I've found the webcam link, but it isn't live video, just a series of occasional stills.

Last edited:
Cheers to whoever it was who gave me +rep for that (the one who wasn't mattdizzle), but it would help if you made yourself known. That way, I know who's listening, and who could advise me on the sound quality. I was listening to the cable TV stream, which was perfect, but I was (mostly) recording the DAB signal, which may have had clicks and squeaks the way DAB does when its signal fades. Anything after the "this is Five Live" announcement near the beginning of what I've posted was from DAB. I have not listened to that part of the recording, so if anyone finds any faults, tell me and I'll re-record the WAV from the VHS recording. I know where the breaks are (standard on-the-hour news and sport, and a teavel bulletin 13 or so minutes in) so it won't take too much effort to redo it if I have to.

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I'll let you know about the sound quality. :)

EDIT: No probs whatsoever with the sound quality. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I came here to read James' comments on popular sandwich condiments.

Damn you!

Thanks. I love these "behind the scenes" looks. Details on the Stig's contract, James insisting that they are well aware of the criticism about the lack of cars, etc. Great stuff!

I came here to read James' comments on popular sandwich condiments.
Damn you!
I laugh at your misfortune!

Next week, in Hammond on Ham, Richard Hammond talks about amateur shortwave radio, and in Clarkson on Carbs, Jezza laments the demise of the non-fuel-injected engine.

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I'll let you know about the sound quality. :)

EDIT: No probs whatsoever with the sound quality. Thanks again.

x2 Wot she said
A very interesting interview.
Thanks Ironlord :cool:

Thank you so much for this! I really enjoyed listening to this very interesting interview. :)

Keep up the great work! :cool:

For anyone that dislikes the fact that Top Gear is 'faked', this is an interview you need to listen to. James explains this in great detail.