Mazda 2, my new favorite subcompact...

Oh! Is that also know as a Mazda Demio?

Handsome little bugger, much more attractive than the Yaris.

Overall I like it, although I think the center console needs some work and I'm not too wild about the back end. I love the instrument cluster, that is a handsome design for such a small car. The body is nicely sculpted and gives the impression of a larger car than it is. Many small cars tend to have soft lines to make them appear "cute." I hate cute. Although not a baby-eater this has more personality than the Fit or Yaris. The 1.5 should have enough get-up-and-go to make driving interesting. It will never be a sports car, but as I found with my Honda you can have plenty of fun in an economy car.

Actually I like economy cars better in some ways, you feel more like you are pushing the machine to its limit.

^^

James May is of the same opinion regarding his recently acquired Fiat Panda:

"I say this because I've really fallen for my Fiat Panda: for its sense of urgency, its liveliness, the eager thrum of its piddling 1.2-litre engine, and the pure hilarity to be had from chucking it at a small roundabout. It doesn't offer the visceral thrill of the Porsche Boxster, but in many ways it serves up more cerebral pleasures, which in themselves attest to a more advanced state of the human condition."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/12/09/mrmay09.xml

For some reason, my first thought when I saw the front three-quarter was 206. Brilliant design without trying to be cutesy. Then I saw the back. Same shape taillights as the 206, but the design just doesn't flow so well. Bugger.

Not anything groundbreaking, but overall pretty good.

I think you summed up Mazda in general; good design, good powertrain, high loyalty with their customers. :)

They will never on par with Toyota or Honda insofar as sales, but you can bet some of their designs are cribbed by larger companies.

^^

James May is of the same opinion regarding his recently acquired Fiat Panda:

"I say this because I've really fallen for my Fiat Panda: for its sense of urgency, its liveliness, the eager thrum of its piddling 1.2-litre engine, and the pure hilarity to be had from chucking it at a small roundabout. It doesn't offer the visceral thrill of the Porsche Boxster, but in many ways it serves up more cerebral pleasures, which in themselves attest to a more advanced state of the human condition."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/12/09/mrmay09.xml

Damn, May is one eloquent guy.

Meh...doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have...well, um...OK, no I don't want a Civic either, the Corolla is boring with a capital B, the new Sentra is rubbish, and I'm not touching anything domestic.

OK, so if I had to get a new car in this segment, I suppose this would be it :rolleyes:

epp_b said he wouldn't want a civic and i was just wondering as to the reason why. it's a lovely car! and cheap too!

Wow that looks incredibly good for a Japanese car...its very Euro...I like :thumbup:

im not even european and i like that car. i like the layout of the interior too. gear shifter is right next to the wheel.

Great looking small car. I still slightly prefer the Vauxhall Corsa but the Mazda is running a tight close-second too it.

I'm gonna' echo the comments of others - there's definitely a touch of the new Civic in there, but does anyone think the rear 3/4 profile is Auris-like?

Hey, SoxXpupPeT, about your sig: what is spunk anyway? I've tried to figure it out after watching the SLR vs. Boats race, and I can't find any information on it.

loving it