Mazda reveals 2009 Mazda6 for North America

How ... forgettable. Why is it that every mid-size car has to look exactly alike anymore?

I think I prefer the current 6, the new one feels like it's a step backwards. The US spec car looks good but the headlight design on the Euro one is far more interesting.

Few cars have generated as much traffic for Autoblog lately as the all-new 2009 Mazda6. We have been talking about this car for a long time, sharing pics and renderings, rumors and speculation. While Mazda shared some official pics of the U.S. version recently, we just received some shots of one sitting out in the open that we wanted to share. Submitted by avid Autoblog reader Andre R., these dozen or so shots show a beautiful blue (blue is the new white apparently) sample parked next to a current generation Mazda6. The differences are pretty striking when these two vehicles can be viewed together. The front fascia and wheels are a touch busy, but what a beautiful shape Mazda designers have given the new 6.

Although similar to the Japanese and European-market versions, the USDM car gets the signature bisected grille with foglamps housed in silver pots at the lower corners of the front air dam. As we pointed out when the first official shots were released, the trunk, rear bumper, and exhaust are also different and arguably better looking than the simpler Japanese and Europeans versions. These photos also give us a glimpse of the interior, and we'll reserve judgment on how it functions until we get some seat time. The dash isn't the best we've seen and the seat material looks odd, but it could be the glass giving odd reflections. Thanks for the pics, Andre!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/16/2009-mazda6-caught-in-the-wild-sort-of/

mazda6-3.jpg
mazda6-4.jpg
mazda6-10.jpg

The design doesn't seem as sleek as the Euro 6, but it does look good compared to the Camry, the Fat Altima, and the blocky Accord. There was a time when I would have just said Honda Accord, but now I think Mazda has a chance of being a true contender. The front fenders give it a very distinctive look. Looks kind of a like a Mercedes, without the ugliness. Are people really sure that it's based on the old 6, because the interior looks exactly like the Euro 6.

Last edited:
having seen a couple of new 6's that thing is vile compared to the euro spec version

It really isn't.

The Euro version is a lot cleaner in terms of design and the headlights/taillights look much better. What annoys me is that the differences seem minor enough that there is no reason for them to look any different. The Euro one looks better, why doesn't the US version look exactly the same?

Just saw this thread, had to come in and complain. Where has my beautiful mazda6 gone? what's with this crappy solara lookalike? I guess there's a silver lining in that the good looking ones will drop in price though

wow that looks just like a! Toyota Camry! congrats mazda for making a decent looking car look very comon

all I can say is "sedan" and "Mazda 6" should never goes together...
the hatch is way better looking than the sedan in both the old and new models...

I saw one in person 2 weeks ago at Mazda's design center in Irvine. Only reason why I even noticed it was because a friend of mine pointed it out. It was parked next 2 one other car and yet it still just blended in.

It's a step back for Mazda I think.

I'm not too keen on the recycled platform, rather than the newer European one
The european one is also basically on the old, recycled platform, actually.

Euro one looks far better. The US version is the epitome of the US really, bloated and fat compared to the rest of us! :p They've lost the charm of the styling, just looks fat, ugly and bordering on generic on some parts.

Oh, and for those who don't know, the reason why the US gets a different version is because Mazda is doing the "Me too!" with the US Accord, by making a bigger, different version than the ones for Euro consumption.

Euro one looks far better. The US version is the epitome of the US really, bloated and fat compared to the rest of us! :p They've lost the charm of the styling, just looks fat, ugly and bordering on generic on some parts.

Oh, and for those who don't know, the reason why the US gets a different version is because Mazda is doing the "Me too!" with the US Accord, by making a bigger, different version than the ones for Euro consumption.

and also the soft suspension and no-feel steering wheel for the US consumers too~! which all comes to crappier handling...:lol:

Except Honda sells us the Euro version, it's just got an Acura badge.

Except the new one, like the American Accord, has gotten fatter, slower, and uglier.
acuratsx500.jpg

thedguy Yes I though that exactly - Euro front / US rear FTW.

/EDIT Ooh that Accord is gross, someone has hit the front with an ugly stick. Where is the Honda badge, is it an Acura in NA?

Yah, the Euro Accord is sold in North America as the Acura TSX. The TSX is damn ugly, but the USDM Accord is no svelte beauty either...
2008-honda-accord-11_450_op.jpg

Just to give you a taste of the latest offerings in the Midsize market:
07.nissan.altima.340.jpg

FA1_toyota-camry.jpg

2008-malibu-1.jpg

chrysler_sebringfront_left.jpg

Seems as though cars are getting uglier these days. I think in balance, I would choose the Mazda over any of the cars above.

How hard is it these days to style a decent looing mid-sizer? I reckon BOTH the new Mazda 6's look very bloated and fat.

They're all just so ugly now. You're better off buying a used Audi A4 or A6 if you want something a bit stylish.

My mother bought the Accord late last year, it's just a good car, but it's very dull. You feel quite anonymous when you drive it. And the electric power steering is crap, yes, it turns in quicker but it's completely isolated from the road.