Mazda RX-8 to end US sales in 2011

A7XFan22

According to a well placed source at Mazda's North American Operations, the world?s one and only rotary-powered production car will cease North American sales, most likely after the 2011 model year. As we noted last month, Mazda has already officially announced that European sales of the Mazda RX-8 will not continue after 2011, due to more stringent EuroV emissions standards.

Although the Wankel-engined, 2+2 sports car was recently refreshed (2009) and currently meets all U.S. emissions standards (which are in some ways more strict that EuroV), Mazda sold only 128 RX-8s in April of 2010 for a total of 428 year to date. The company builds the cars in Hiroshima, Japan, so it may make financial sense to cut back production and shipping costs on such a low volume sports car, in favor of its better selling, piston-powered vehicles.

Does this mean Mazda is giving up on rotaries? No. Remember that North American sales of the RX-7 ceased in 2002, a full two years before the RX-8 made its debut. Mazda?s market-by-market wind down of RX-8 sales may indicate a shift of resources towards the long rumored return of the RX-7. Our Japan correspondent has reported that an RX-7 is in development, it will be rotary powered and should arrive sometime in calendar year 2013.

We can only hope...

Sauce

I thought this was announced a while ago? Maybe that was just speculation. Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used 2010 model once my current one has run its course, but they might be rarer than I anticipated...who knows what prices will be in 5+ years. By then there might be the new RX-7/9, anyway...

The company builds the cars in Hiroshima, Japan, so it may make financial sense to cut back production and shipping costs on such a low volume sports car

And on that bombshell...

Can I get my RX-8 in Satan Red with a Charred Soul interior? Thanks!

Aren't Miatas/MX-5s made also in Hiroshima?

Makes sense, seeing as Mazda's headquarters are in Hiroshima.

In a world of 30mpg, 300hp sporty cars becoming commonplace, this really does not come as a surprise. Hopefully the RX-7 can up the ante in 2011.

Sad. But it had a good run. It's not often you get a front-engined GT car that feels almost mid-engined.

In a world of 30mpg, 300hp sporty cars becoming commonplace, this really does not come as a surprise. Hopefully the RX-7 can up the ante in 2011.

This. Though Mazda can make up for it in the weight department. The problem with the 16X seems to be emissions. Hopefully they can sort that out and we can have a new rotary coupe.

It was a good car, but it has run its course. Hopefully something better, sexier, and faster (and still spinning-triangle-powered) is in the pipeline.

Does anyone have a Geiger counter? :happy:

Maybe driving a Mazda is causing cancer, you'll never know :lol: