Mazda RX-8 versions - can you enjoy the basic 190 HP model?

static

In here we got two options.
The cheaper version has 190 HP. (141kW) and the so called "High Power" has 230 HP (170kW). I cannot remember which version featured in the Top Gear review, I assume it was the 230 HP one?

I've driven the High Power RX-8 and loved it! Everything was so smooth and I loved the way engine revved without a hassle until the warning beeber advised to change gear. The problem is that it costs 10 000 euros more than the standard model so it's a bit too steep for me. The High Power revs to 9000 (limiter) but what is the normal version's RPM limit?

I'm considering an RX-8 but could only afford the basic model with 190 HP. Does that 40 HP make staggering difference in normal daily driving, is it still a proper RX-8 if it has only 190 HP and revs just to 8000 or something?

Cosworth said:
I'd imagine it'd rev the same, but the difference between them would be VERY noticeable ...

No. The engine is the same, the High Power has more horses because it can REV significantly higher.

Right? :?

By the way, the low power version consumes much less fuel. I know it's a sportscar and you don't give a damn how much it costs to maintain it but the difference is so big that you actually have to consider it.

RX-8 (Road, Combined, Urban) liters / 100km
7,1 8,7 11,4

RX-8 High Power
8,7 11,2 15,6

I'll answer to myself. Found the info from Mazda Finland website.

High power version has max power at 8200 and redline is 9000
The basic one has max power at 7000 and redline is 7500

:thumbsdown:

Sounds pretty bad.

Is there anything else different in those than the software? *chip chip* if not :)

Is the 190hp model auto only? I know that in America the 4-speed auto RX-8 (down two gears!) is 190hp and the 6-speed manual is the full 238hp, giving even more reason to get a proper manual.

Edit: Either way, if you get one Ren will give you money! :thumbsup:

yeah, in the US the only difference is the ECU (basically) and that the 190hp version only comes with an autotragic tranny. both have the 1.3 l engine

the bas RX-8 has just under 200hp, i think 197 sounds about right, but its only available with a 4 speed auto which i hear is quite useless.
but here in the US, there is only a $1500 difference between the two. $1500 gets you 40hp more, a transmission that said to be one of the best in the price range, along with high-revving madness. If money is really tight, just buy a slightly used one. I know someone that bought one, with a few thousand miles on it, for about a grand less than what the base costs.

Yeah well the transmission is no issue as the basic version has a 5 speed manual. High Power has 6 speed manual so we don't have an auto version at all, gladly.

bartboy9891 said:
the bas RX-8 has just under 200hp, i think 197 sounds about right, but its only available with a 4 speed auto which i hear is quite useless.
Because people here in Europe can actually drive stick and a 4-speed auto transmission in combination with the rotary engine would be absolute rubbish, the RX-8 isn't even offered with an automatic transmission here. :p
If you want the ~190hp modell, you get a 5-speed manual instead of the 6-speed manual. :p

As for your question static, just go to your dealer and try both. I'm not gonna be able to tell you if you're going to enjoy the 190hp version. I've driven both and I'd definitely go for 231hp. The price difference here in Germany isn't even remotely close to 10.000? though. I don't think 40hp are worth that much, if you want more power, buy another car. The whole point of the rotary is the high-rev limit. Low end torque is almost nonexistent and if you go for 190hp, you only get 7500rpm. I guess I'd go for something else... :|

EDIT: Damn, I'm way late. Well, that's the problem if you're opening the new posts in tabs.

If you really like the car, and it makes you fell good ofcourse you should buy it. That's what sportscars are all about. Everyone defying common sence and bying a sportscar instead of some borring econobox "cough Corolla cough" is a little hero in my eys.
You should also note that you would actually gain 9 Nm torque in the "small" engine.
As i see it the RX-8 has alot of big pros but also some big cons:

+
Rotary engine (they ask how many cylinders it got, you say 2 chambers. They look puzzled. How cool is that :thumbsup: )
Great handling
As you said yourself: Smoth running engine
Good gearbox
Mazda quality
Fun doors (Suicide for everyone!)
Triangles all over the car, hinting to the engine.

-
Crappy low range torque
If you rev it to where the torque is it will get very thirsty
Frequent oilchange.
Will probally loose quite a bit in value, because it's special

Up to you if thats what you want.

M3lover said:
If you rev it to where the torque is it will get very thirsty.
And where is the fun in having a VERY high revving engine if you often think about how much fuel you are dumping everytime the chance to really rev it shows up, round a corner, overtaking, and the likes ???

Believe it or not, I can relate. That pt of mine is frugal enough when driven normally BUT I found myself wondering if something was wrong a couple weeks back 'cause I was visiting the black gold dealer way more often than expected.
:?

Well, after taking the "lets not drive like a maniac" test, everything came back to normal.

Seems like I've been enjoying hearing the turbo's whistle quite a bit lately. :whistle:

Steer clear of the RX-8 if low gas milleage is going to bug you would be my advice as there is no going around it in city driving from what I heard.
It's quite a car but not just for anybody.

If you're looking at a better resale value... get the hi-po model no doubt. It's look better, offers much more and I for one have test drive both hi-po and lo-po model and the difference is staggering. The hi-po model handles much better, had better interior trim and go so much faster on the road. If it's 40bhp short on a 4 banger engine, it might not make a big difference but on a Wankel? god, it's like comparing a 3L V6 to a 4L V8.

Australia has the auto (140kW) and the manual (177kW). The auto is not popular at all.

Fuck better fuel consumption, you don't buy an RX-8 because you like its fuel consumption, you buy an RX-8 because you're a kid in a mans body wanting to live a dream.

Live the dream, get the hi-po model.

Anybody who buy a wankel engine car and said they pick it because it got better fuel economy will be laughed off by petrolheads. You want fuel economy, buy a Diesel Lupo, you want the pleasure of driving buy the Hi-Po RX8.

911GT1 said:
If you're looking at a better resale value... get the hi-po model no doubt. It's look better, offers much more and I for one have test drive both hi-po and lo-po model and the difference is staggering. The hi-po model handles much better, had better interior trim and go so much faster on the road. If it's 40bhp short on a 4 banger engine, it might not make a big difference but on a Wankel? god, it's like comparing a 3L V6 to a 4L V8.

explain please? Isn't 40hp the same on a rotary and a 4banger? both the 190hp and 230hp have the same 1.3l engine, as someone pointed out earlier, its just the ECU.

I was told buy some RX8 fanatics that it's not just the ECU... 230bhp have different engine components and some parts of the engine is a lot tougher than on the watered down model, what exactly? I dont know. And yes it feels different, more like a handicapped. You need to drive to know how it feels, I cant explain that to you.

If you are really worried about power, there are tuning shops such as RE Amemiya offering upgrades like exhaust, intake and turbo kits. Trust me, exhaust can offer a great deal more improvement in a rotary vehicle(a buddy in FD3S gained 65WHP with a full HKS over stock). I don't think we get the lower power model here, so I can't comment on differences.

Whatever the car lacks can be made up for with aftermarket tuning.

I don't think the Hi-power model was a option for static. to expensive. Then the americans will say it's only 1500 $ more, but as i recall in Finland thet have taxes depending on output, economy and such. So the Hp gets significantly more expensive than the normal (was it 10000 ? = 11500 $ more?) . Maybe he should go for the Civic Type-R. Still high reving, but looks like a hatch...