Mazda RX-8 versions - can you enjoy the basic 190 HP model?

vanMould said:
The low-power model has got more torque too, iirc.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing.

M3lover said:
I don't think the Hi-power model was a option for static. to expensive. Then the americans will say it's only 1500 $ more, but as i recall in Finland thet have taxes depending on output, economy and such. So the Hp gets significantly more expensive than the normal (was it 10000 ? = 11500 $ more?) . Maybe he should go for the Civic Type-R. Still high reving, but looks like a hatch...
Taxes have nothing to do with output, economy or anything. It's a fixed percentage always. The slower model costs a bit over 50 000 euros and high power version bit over 61 000 euros. With no options at all...

luokyio said:
The slower model costs a bit over 50 000 euros and high power version bit over 61 000 euros. With no options at all...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

61,000euros!!! Shit that's expensive!

damn, that is hella expensive. The 8 starts at 21,585.81EUR over here, with the top end Shinka version with the appearance package, rotary accent package, and 6 speed 240HP motor comes to 28,710.80EUR.

M3lover said:
they ask how many cylinders it got, you say 2 chambers. They look puzzled. How cool is that :thumbsup:

you'll look like a ricer who has no idea what he's talking about ;)

a rotary engine has 2 ROTORS with each 3 chambers

read this and trash everyone in understanding of the rotary engine ;)

where the rotors live is called the rotor housing, the 3 faces of the rotors inside the housing make up the combustion chambers that change shape as they rotate. most rotary engine equipped Mazdas came with 2 rotors, but there was a 3 rotor Cosmo as well.

this is a good link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

still you had the basic idea right.

so you guys dont get the auto, but instead get a 5-speed for the base? where is the 5-speed from?

bartboy9891 said:
so you guys dont get the auto, but instead get a 5-speed for the base? where is the 5-speed from?
Um...Mazda?

M3lover wrote:
they ask how many cylinders it got, you say 2 chambers. They look puzzled. How cool is that

you'll look like a ricer who has no idea what he's talking about

a rotary engine has 2 ROTORS with each 3 chambers
:oops:
See, generally ppl don't know what it is...

watto said:

Yea it kinda is. That's why ordering a new is pretty much ruled out, a second hand low-power is just affordable for me - barely. But if that doesn't kick ass enough and it seems it doesn't I have to just keep on saving money and buy a car later.

But hey people thanks for great replies. As the RX-8 is very expensive in here it is hard to get a test drive. I managed to drive the high power version but that was only for a short moment. I don't think I'll get a chance to test the low power version so thanks for all the comparisons, it is exactly what I wanted to know! :thumbsup:

oliB said:
bartboy9891 said:
Um...Mazda?
well yea, but which car? or does Mazda have a 5speed specifically for the Rx-8

static said:
watto said:

Yea it kinda is. That's why ordering a new is pretty much ruled out, a second hand low-power is just affordable for me - barely. But if that doesn't kick ass enough and it seems it doesn't I have to just keep on saving money and buy a car later.

But hey people thanks for great replies. As the RX-8 is very expensive in here it is hard to get a test drive. I managed to drive the high power version but that was only for a short moment. I don't think I'll get a chance to test the low power version so thanks for all the comparisons, it is exactly what I wanted to know! :thumbsup:
What about importing one from the states or even Japan, seems like you could save quite a bundle seeing as the top of the line sport model is less than half the price over here.

M3lover said:
I don't think the Hi-power model was a option for static. to expensive. Then the americans will say it's only 1500 $ more, but as i recall in Finland thet have taxes depending on output, economy and such. So the Hp gets significantly more expensive than the normal (was it 10000 ? = 11500 $ more?) . Maybe he should go for the Civic Type-R. Still high reving, but looks like a hatch...

Just by reading "he should go for the Civic Type-R" tells me you have NEVER driven the RX8.

The ride is amazing. Rev it to 9k and it only feels like it can go even more. My uncle drives one actually. It feels smooth like butter. The Honda, on the other hand, uses it's Vtec. Rotary is my choice...

The US 4 sp auto is rubbish. It is even semiautomatic. 4 gears? What is the point.

I wish they brought that 5 speed manual here.

watto said:
luokyio said:
The slower model costs a bit over 50 000 euros and high power version bit over 61 000 euros. With no options at all...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Damn, that sucks. You could buy TWO V8 sport saloons here for that kind of money. :(

The ride is amazing. Rev it to 9k and it only feels like it can go even more. My uncle drives one actually. It feels smooth like butter. The Honda, on the other hand, uses it's Vtec. Rotary is my choice...
Only it's not 9 k in the low power but 7,5 k, that was the only RX-8 in economical reach for static, and that was a slightly used one. And then the civic would be the higher reving of the 2...

M3lover said:
Only it's not 9 k in the low power but 7,5 k, that was the only RX-8 in economical reach for static, and that was a slightly used one. And then the civic would be the higher reving of the 2...

okay... even at a lower revving point.

The wankel is still 10 times better. I'm sure everyone who has driven one agrees.

the north american automatic RENESIS only has 4 intake ports. the manual 6 speed has 6 ports making the extra 40 HP difference.

i *think* the 2006 automatics will come with 5 gears.

get what you can afford, but i'd vote for the 238 HP version :D

and the manual transmissions come from the Miata - i think the 6 speed is just a miata transmission with the 6th gear added on.