Mazda to move away from touchscreen interface.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Mazda going against the grain once again, and I love that. First they decided to stick with naturally aspirated petrol engines and focus on reducing weight, then they seemingly go against the grain with design of their vehicles, and now they're making practical ergonomic choices. I like the way they're heading.

Another thing Mazda is doing right. :)

I'm shocked to discover that I sound like a fanboy, but.... N/A engines, lightness, good design, the rumored 6-cylinder RWD Mazda 6 successor, now this...

I blogged about the touchscreen in Teslas several years ago. Nice to see Mazda agreeing with me that they are a bad idea.

I own a mazda with a touch screen (2015 3). What i can say is that for entering addresses when the voice commands don't work, the touch screen is way faster/easier. The click wheel is clunky, awkward, slow, and it doesn't feel like it'll last too many years of constant use. Note that no matter what, using the wheel or the touch screen, the car had to be stopped for it to allow entering any commands, so "safety" is a non-issue. It only works for more simple commands, that you can also still control with the click wheel... only when you use the wheel, you have to stare at the screen longer while your selection scrolls through the possibilities before you can select/click and look back up,, rather than just looking long enough for a single finger press.