Mazda2 vs. Ford Fiesta

Dogbert

Helsinki Smash Rod
Car(s)
Roger Dean's Rocks
I've narrowed my new car search down to those two. Particularly, a Mazda2 Touring vs. a Fiesta Hatchback SE.

Some important bullet points that I've found in my search so far:

- There are only six manual transmission Mazda2's within 200 miles of St. Louis, and the only Touring spec was just sold.

- You cannot change the head unit in a Fiesta. This is a problem, as I like to put music DVD's on while I drive.

- I can probably get a 2 Sport down to $13k, or a Fiesta SE down to $15k.

Many pundits say that the 2 definetly drives better than Fiesta, who's suspension was "adjusted" for american tastes. Another reason the 2 drives better is possibly due to its lighter weight.

Personally I like the 2's more conventional interior, the fact that the radio is easily identifyable as a radio unlike the Fiesta's is a plus. Whoever created that "cell phone inspired" design deserves to be fired/shot.

I'd get the Fiesta only if the exact 2 model you want is hard to find and your not willing to special order or you really desire the greater potential MPG that a Fiesta SFE offers.

rickhamilton620 suggested a Mazda 2, get a Fiesta. :p

I really didn't like the interior of the Fiesta. The seat wasn't comfortable to me (huge side bolsters with an almost flat bottom = what were they thinking? not to mention the same odd seat position I hate from the Focus) and the radio controls were too strange.

Of these, I'd go with the Mazda2. Wheeee little cars = <3

I have had a Ford Fiesta for little over a year and I have been happy with it so far.

Before I got it I also test drove the VW Polo (1.6 TDI), Mazda2 (1.6 DE) and Opel Corsa 1.3 CDI - All diesel so I can't help you with the engines.

The Polo was the nicest of the 4 by far, but let down by high price and a stuck up dealer, but that dosen't really matter in NA since they aren't available.

Apart from getting a good deal on the Fiesta I chose it over the Mazda because it felt much more well build and solid.

The joints and switchgear in the interior of the Mazda wasn't that nice and felt kind of flimsy using it. Knocking on the dash of the Mazda gives a hollow "clank" "clank" noise where as in the Fiesta it says "donk" "donk" (very scientific approach, I know :p).
This might sound a little picky but something like the indicator click in the Fiesta is much nicer too.

There is more road noise in the Mazda too. The Fiesta is a heavier car but I didn't really fell it compared to the Mazda driving around town and on the motorway. I don't really mind the cell phone inspired radio and got used to it pretty quick - Haters gonna hate ;)

If you don't really care that much about the interior and don't plan on doing long trips in it, I would suggest the Mazda2.

If you want a more refined and slightly more comfortable car choose the Fiesta.

I'm gonna vouch for the Mazda 2, because it's a riot to drive, and somehow captures the whole essence of the daftly named Zoom Zoom-concept. And although I haven't tested a Fiesta, or an American Fiesta for that matter, I can't imagine it being so ridiculously awesome to beat the Mazda 2 in a heads up match.

Mazda 2 Touring? Wtf, sounds like an estate car. :p

I'm gonna vouch for the Mazda 2, because it's a riot to drive, and somehow captures the whole essence of the daftly named Zoom Zoom-concept. And although I haven't tested a Fiesta, or an American Fiesta for that matter, I can't imagine it being so ridiculously awesome to beat the Mazda 2 in a heads up match.

Mazda 2 Touring? Wtf, sounds like an estate car. :p

The 2 comes in two trims here in the States, "Sport" and "Touring".

I agree with LeVeL, you ought to test-drive them. If you still can't figure it out, then perhaps something from here.

I test drove an automatic 2, and liked it quite a lot (aside from the transmission). I'm driving a Fiesta today.

Mazda isn't letting dealers order any cars yet (still), which is why all the top-spec and/or manual transmission cars are gone... and the dealer said they aren't sure when they'll be able to order again. I'm in no hurry to get a car, so I may just wait it out and get the exact 2 I want.

I also find the Fiesta's center console almost deal-breakingly bad. What "cell phone" did they use for reference when they made it? The NGage?

I would want a five-door regardless, but yes. It's that or an uglified sedan version.

I would say get the Mazda for THIS but sadly it appears there was not enough intrest and the series never got off the ground.

Mazda2 manual has the stick shift on the dashboard.

Like a rally car.

The choice is clear.

My God, they tweaked the front slightly. It's like a whole new car.

2011_ford_fiesta_hatchback_102_2_cd_gallery.jpg

Last edited: