Mazda2 vs. Ford Fiesta

Just out of curiosity what other cars were on the list before you got down to these two?
The Versa, Fit, Yaris, Aveo, 500, Rio, and Accent are absent from this list for the following reasons:

Versa: I may still consider it. The fuel economy is worse than the 2 and Fiesta, though.

Fit: Honestly, if my ex-girlfriend didn't have one, I'd probably get one. It's weird, but I don't want to buy a car that a friend already has.

Yaris: Too expensive.

Aveo: No.

500: Too posh and hip for me.

Rio: Any trim level higher than the base (which is four wheels and some seats with airbags in them), and you have to have an automatic.

Accent: Shockingly bad exterior.

I hear where you are coming from re most of them but in spite of the hip factor I would seriously give the 500 a go. I helped a friend buy one recently (well, went with her to make sure she made the correct choices re finance/trim/extras since she has already decided that was what she wanted) and I had a drive myself. Seriously impressed with it in all respects.

The 500 is built in the same plant as the PT Cruiser was. There is not a PT Cruiser still in the driveway but my car still is, it had worse build quality than a mexican VW and back in 03 you got a 5/7 warranty and the 500 has a 3/4 iirc. An Abarth 500 is technically like the perfect car for me but I would be hesitant to buy something out of that plant after the PT went down in 40k miles.

What about a Mini?

EDIT: Scratch that. The cheapest model is $20k.

Last edited:
Minis are expensive both to buy and run compared to the other cars listed.

I hear where you are coming from re most of them but in spite of the hip factor I would seriously give the 500 a go. I helped a friend buy one recently (well, went with her to make sure she made the correct choices re finance/trim/extras since she has already decided that was what she wanted) and I had a drive myself. Seriously impressed with it in all respects.
I just don't think I can get over the "hip factor", not being hip whatsoever. They're for people who drive to Starbucks on lunch break from their trendy marketing firm and listen to Mumford and Sons on their MacBook Air. Conversely, I eat Kraft macaroni and cheese from the pan I cooked it in and listen to bands with names like "Circle Jerks".

The 500 may be a great drive and a great car, but I just can't see myself driving one.

The 500's interior plastics are awful. It's not a car that I would want to live with very long, which is a shame, because it drives very well and is surprisingly well-priced.

Nugget does that. At least, he does that when I'm not around to demand a bowl.

Point? I'm supposed to have a point?
Why dirty another dish? :p

And the Mazda dealership which seemed to actually want my business said that they'll find out tomorrow after meeting with their DM when they'll be able to order cars, and the salesman figured that'll be the beginning of next month... so the Fiesta has until then to make me forget about it's center console and floor me with its drive.

Last edited:
Why dirty another dish? :p
Because the pot used to cook the mac&cheese is very sensitive to implements used in it and scratches very easily. Eating out of a bowl is less annoying because it's less sensitive to the scratches and it's not quite as hot, so doesn't burn hands quite as easily. </taking offtopic too seriously>

Because the pot used to cook the mac&cheese is very sensitive to implements used in it and scratches very easily. Eating out of a bowl is less annoying because it's less sensitive to the scratches and it's not quite as hot, so doesn't burn hands quite as easily. </taking offtopic too seriously>
... but then I have to put two dishes in the dishwasher.

Teflon is the devil. Stainless steel and caste iron for me.

Dude, just keep using the wooden spoon to eat. Then you have two dirty things to wash, not four with a separate spoon and plate.

Dogbert, have you considered the SX4...they're pretty decent I've heard. :)

Except for that they are one of the most unreliable cars, long-term, you can buy...besides that, they are good.

And there are almost no dealers around for them, and Suzuki doesn't give a flying fuck about the US market.

Friend of mine worked for suzuki HQ, the car division of that company is run by a bunch of retards.

I wouldn't. Lots of problems over here with them. My grandmas one scrubs the tyres at the front due to a manufacturing defect and Suzuki can't fix it nor will they compensate her for the many tyres she is chewing through.

Over here, the choice between 2 vs Fiesta is a bit different. They are of course based on the same platform worldwide, but over here they even come from the same (Thai) factory. The main differences come in things like the engine, suspension, etc. Now disclaimer, I haven't driven either, but I chose the fiesta over the 2 immediately when I was deciding on a car to save up for. Mainly because the Fiesta often comes across in reviews as amore complete and "better" car. Slightly more powerful engine, better suspension setup, etc. That and the 2's are as common as anything over here, and I hate that. Mind you, since seeing the new Thai-made fiestas, I've been turned off by the drop in quality in comparison to ze German ones. So yeah, both of them will probably lose out on the quality front now wherever you look. It just comes down to what you prefer interface and driving wise I guess.