McGuinness and Flintoff announced as new hosts

jack_christie

Forum Addict
he pair will take over from Matt LeBlanc, after he steps down from presenting duties at the end of the next series.

The comedian and former England cricket captain will join existing presenter and former racing driver Chris Harris to complete the new-look line-up.

Filming for the 27th series of the BBC Two show will begin in early 2019.

Rory Reid, who joined the Top Gear team after the departure of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, will no longer have a main presenting role.

He began fronting spin-off show Extra Gear in 2016, and went on to co-host the main programme alongside LeBlanc and Harris on the most recent series.

According to the BBC, he "will remain part of the Top Gear family", along with Sabine Schmitz, and will continue to be the face of Extra Gear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

What happened to these forums...? New hosts for TG named and not a single comment after one whole week!?

(Don't count me - I was ever a lurker anyway...)

MossMan;n3554560 said:
What happened to these forums...? New hosts for TG named and not a single comment after one whole week!?

(Don't count me - I was ever a lurker anyway...)

Apart from the forums being down for a few days and it's probably slow around here because there's no new TG or TGT on at the moment, I think it's also the case a lot of people don't really care anymore about Top Gear.

I mean, including these new two, how many presenters/sidekicks will they have had on the show since C, H & M left? Must be nearly double figures now, surely.

Personally, I found the last season of TG to be better than the last season of GT .. with the first seasons of both (since the split) being painfully bad.

CHM silliness is really not why I used to like the show, and while the last GT had reined it in and improved things, I felt the BBC had turned it around quicker and better.

So here's hoping that yet another change isn't going to muck it up again...

It looks like the beeb has given up on the international market for Top Gear because these two will be virtually unheard of outside the UK, not exactly top names for this sort of job in the UK either really. At least LeBlanc has a gravitas about him which carries the show along with the two relative unknowns alongside him.

Not sure why Reid got demoted either, thought he was doing OK. That'll be three different presenting teams in five years and I think people are just getting a little weary of it all.

I read somewhere that Reid was spotted script editing in the grand tour tent but as always on social media it’s probably not true

AlexF1;n3554758 said:
I read somewhere that Reid was spotted script editing in the grand tour tent but as always on social media it’s probably not true

Maybe it came from Flintoff, after all, he's the one who's got Reid's job? :lol:

hal9000;n3554715 said:
It looks like the beeb has given up on the international market for Top Gear because these two will be virtually unheard of outside the UK, not exactly top names for this sort of job in the UK either really. At least LeBlanc has a gravitas about him which carries the show along with the two relative unknowns alongside him.

Not sure why Reid got demoted either, thought he was doing OK. That'll be three different presenting teams in five years and I think people are just getting a little weary of it all.

I think you are right and that would explain why they chose two new host's that like you said, are not really mainstream outside of the of the UK, TG is going to go back to being a British car show, and there is nothing wrong with that, I think BBC knows their cash cow has finally dried up .

But if they just want to get back to being a British car show, why not just stick with Reid and Harris?

I may be in the minority on this, but I feel they've been underusing Reid over the last two series anyway and was quite looking forward to his coming more to the fore once LeBlanc had gone.

I think the new line-up is probably going to prove a good moment for me to stop watching, much as I like Harris.

Weird that the BBC report I read this morning made it sound like disgraceful damage to the town infrastructure - when it was just a bit of slidy wet oversteer and bumping into some temporary metalwork. No biggie...
It's the BBC, they could've run over an apple and the article would make it sound as insensitive to fruitarians. :p

It's the BBC, they could've run over an apple and the article would make it sound as insensitive to fruitarians. :p

That apple could've grown into a tree and saved the planet from the evil carbons!