• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Mclaren F1 fans?

Thrasher

Car(s)
1976 BMW 2002
I have a book that says that on the underside of the Mclaren F1 roadcar that it has fans that suck it down onto the road. I thought this was quite odd and have never heard it mentioned anywhere else before. Is it true?

sounds false to me but who knows, i cant say for sure.

i know the undercarriage would support it driving upside down but im not sure i ever heard fans in addition to the underside helping it stay down.

Trasher said:
I have a book that says that on the underside of the Mclaren F1 roadcar that it has fans that suck it down onto the road.

well... the Ferrari F50 has something like that as well... it has fans ontop of the front "hood" and keep the nose down during highspeed

Sounds kinda stupid. Modern aerodynamics can create so much downforce that those kind of tricks are rendered useless. But one can't be sure without checking under the McLaren. After all, it is a very high-tech car.

CamoN said:
Sounds kinda stupid. Modern aerodynamics can create so much downforce that those kind of tricks are rendered useless. But one can't be sure without checking under the McLaren. After all, it is a very high-tech car.

Not really...

Back in the day they used skirts on the sides of F1 cars to create vacuums under the car which work stupidly well.... unless a skirt came loose from the track and the car lost all its grip. To me this sounds like the next logically step to go to. It creates a vacuum under the car without the worry of instant loss of grip.

As far as I can understand it...

A fan was used to remove the turbulent boundary layer of air just before it reached the rear diffuser. This meant that the diffuser was more effective hence more downforce.

The air removed was used to cool the ECUs and assist in engine bay airflow control.

mclaren.JPG

I'm not an expert but I have a good book, "Driving Ambition" by Doug Nye.

This is the Best book I have ever bought and has the whole F1 story from begining to end.

The Brabham BT46B F1 "fan car" had a fan that sucked the car down on the road. It raced once in the 1978 Swedish GP, and proved so successful that it was withdrawn in order to preserve FOCA (of which a Mr Ecclestone was head of, as well as being the team owner of Brabham).

aerial.jpg

more:

http://8w.forix.com/fancar.html

Yes, the McLaren F1 does have fans on the underbody. I heard it from an F1 owner so it must be true.

McLaren is actually very secretive about the whole car. They don't like to disclose certain things about it.

Which man was mistaken?

The brabham fan car did exist, and had downforce while stationary (launch grip, anyone?). It was withdrawn for a number of reasons, including other teams having a cry about track-debris (tiny bits of tarmac etc) being thrown up.

The Chaparral 2J was fantastic, but also banned for a few reasons. I'm not too sure of the downforce it created, but it was somthing around half a tonne while stationary. The only reason it didn't molest the other Can-Am cars off the line was because it had fewer gears (3, i think). Great concept from the thinking man, Jim Hall. He also investigated dynamic wing pitch (2D), and ran wide tyres by oversizing rims to stiffen the sidewalls (early days). :)

The McLaren F1 does have fans, as shown above. I heard of this somewhere recently (some magazine...). Boy, what a well designed car!

Yep, the 2J only had three gears, and suffered quite a few clutch/gearbox problems in the year it raced - so it wasn't quite as successful as it potentially could have been.

It's in GT4, and great fun to drive around!

mmmm lets get a hovercraft and reverse the fans.....thennnn put wheels ont he bottom and apply power to them.....ultimate suction. or just put skirts made of rubber around cars with fans....might create a bit of drag tho. im an ideas man ey!?

I never knew that about the macca but it impresses me even more :D

Well i know that originally the McF1 had fans to 'improve' downforce in the same way that the Brabham 'fan car' did, and coincidentally they were both designed by Gordon Murray (a big 'fan' of aerodynamics :woot: )

I have this fantastic CD-ROM call "Dream Machines and Designers" which is basically a series of 'interactive' documentaries that outline the development of some of the best known supercars, i.e the McF1, Porsche 959, F40, Buggatti EB110 and a whole bunch more i cant remember.

as a side note the McF1 also came with its own luggage, full sized workshop toolkit, a gold plated titanium in car toolkit and a modem for remote diagnostics. I also pretty sure that they would Fly out a mechanic to fix it if there were any problems (although i could be wrong)

That cd sounds real cool. Where did you get it?

I think the Zonda comes with something like gear you described above I believe. They make personized driving shoes and suitcasaes or something .

didn't some of the old volkswagen's have toolkits built into one of the hubcaps?

Now, if that CD were to appear on an FTP, I would try to get an account .