McLaren F1 on the TG track ...

on a side note, they better have found a Veyron in one of the first eps. of this season to go round the track or i'm going to die. I might just have to make the whole thing in LEGO and simulate the lap.

Agreed lol. And on that M3 thing...that is fucking ridiculous

Anthony said:
Although this thread is really old, I thought I'd add my two cents anyway. I don't think the F1 could manage a 1 '17 run. I mean yea in a straight line I know only of the Veyron and the Koenigsegg CCR, or CCX I suppose, that give the top speed a nudge (obviously disregarding modified vehicles). But as it was developed in the early 90s it's aerodynamic properties are questionable. It stands to reason; a car like the Carrera GT or Zonda F would probably be more aerodynamic and overall better handling cars due to technological development. I think it's hammond who says it in the first episode of new Top Gear, these days it's more about how fast a car goes around the track, not how fast it is in a straight line. Hence I think a 1 '17 wouldn't be all that likely...but who knows. I haven't exactly driven the cars before so I'm not in a position question. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
Yes, but the McLaren is at least 100kg lighter than the others and, being the GTR, this would have been equipped with the high-downforce kit and engine upgrade (680bhp). I think it would breeze its way to the top.

istanl said:
Anthony said:
Although this thread is really old, I thought I'd add my two cents anyway. I don't think the F1 could manage a 1 '17 run. I mean yea in a straight line I know only of the Veyron and the Koenigsegg CCR, or CCX I suppose, that give the top speed a nudge (obviously disregarding modified vehicles). But as it was developed in the early 90s it's aerodynamic properties are questionable. It stands to reason; a car like the Carrera GT or Zonda F would probably be more aerodynamic and overall better handling cars due to technological development. I think it's hammond who says it in the first episode of new Top Gear, these days it's more about how fast a car goes around the track, not how fast it is in a straight line. Hence I think a 1 '17 wouldn't be all that likely...but who knows. I haven't exactly driven the cars before so I'm not in a position question. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
Yes, but the McLaren is at least 100kg lighter than the others and, being the GTR, this would have been equipped with the high-downforce kit and engine upgrade (680bhp). I think it would breeze its way to the top.
the GTR is a different monster compared to the normal F1. it is a better performance-wise in just about everyway. It weighs much less than most of the other supercars on the the board as you said and it does have more power as well. It is also much better handling wise and more stable as well. 1'17 does sound unrealistic but it probably would be in the top 5 i would say

Agreed lol. And on that M3 thing...that is fucking ridiculous
Well, the state provides full free healthcare, free school with university/college, financial support while you study and alot of other free social stuff from the state. I guess the money for all that have to come from somewhere... But why not from the hippies???

I'm a huge Mclaren F1 fan, thoroughly convinced it's still the best road car ever built, however I doubt it would lap the TG track in 1'17. It'll be extremely quick, no doubt, but I bet current ceramic brakes + abs threshold would allow the modern cars to brake later into the corners than the F1. (yes, I'm well aware that fade would not be an issue on such a short track) Then again it's also an incredibly light car compared to nearly all the modern supercars so it might stand a chance as it's not loading its tires as hard in any given situation.

Brian said:
I'm a huge Mclaren F1 fan, thoroughly convinced it's still the best road car ever built, however I doubt it would lap the TG track in 1'17. It'll be extremely quick, no doubt, but I bet current ceramic brakes + abs threshold would allow the modern cars to brake later into the corners than the F1. (yes, I'm well aware that fade would not be an issue on such a short track) Then again it's also an incredibly light car compared to nearly all the modern supercars so it might stand a chance as it's not loading its tires as hard in any given situation.

That was basically my argument. I have immense respect for that car but it has stayed the same while the hyper cars of today have improved in all aspects. The only thing the F1 has is outright top speed, and on the TG track thats not all that relevant an argument.

M3lover said:
^Dunno if the tires are opdated and competitative on the F1, but i would guess the specially made tyres on cars like the Enzo give more grip.

Excellent point. Can you get modern supercar rubber in the F1's size? Anyone know if street tire compounds have gotten exponentially better in the last 15 years?