McLaren F1 on the TG track ...

Z0RR0

I've just heard rumors that the McLaren F1 (Nick Mason's car) lapped around the TG test track in ... 1'17! It was filmed but never aired.

Any truth to that?

where did you hear this? im just curious. its not completely out of the question, especially if its a GTR.

First thing i thought of was this:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3904&highlight=wallpaper+mclaren

that was a pic was used by the top gear website guy to make a wallpaper.

But some google work showed that car belongs to :
108588415889aa3895ced4903f5bfad2.jpg

toffe1337 said:
teeb said:
Kip_6666 said:

But some google work showed that car belongs to :
108588415889aa3895ced4903f5bfad2.jpg

Yeah, did you not see the episode where Mr Bean, in his McLaren F1, took on the Robin Reliant driver in a race? :p

Was this in the old top gear?
Could you provide me with a link please? :)

sorry i dont have a link.

someone sent it to my cell phone a while ago but the qualiry was rubbish so i got rid of it.

There may be some truth to this since Nick Mason's McLaren F1 is a race car converted for street use. And I'm pretty sure it had some secret works modifications done to it.

But who knows? I can only speculate.

toffe1337 said:
teeb said:
Kip_6666 said:

But some google work showed that car belongs to : Mr Bean!

Yeah, did you not see the episode where Mr Bean, in his McLaren F1, took on the Robin Reliant driver in a race? :p

Was this in the old top gear?
Could you provide me with a link please? :)

Sorry, I was joking about the Mr Bean / McLaren F1 skit.

The actor who plays Mr Bean, Rowan Atkinson, does own a McLaren F1 [amongst other cars], but as far as I know it's not appeared on either Mr Bean or Top Gear at any point.

Shame, as I think he'd make a great guest, but he is notorious about not giving interviews and being very private. Fair enough.

Shame, as I think he'd make a great guest, but he is notorious about not giving interviews and being very private. Fair enough.
I'm met him several times and like so many professional comedians, he's an absolute bore in real life.

Z Draci said:
There may be some truth to this since Nick Mason's McLaren F1 is a race car converted for street use. And I'm pretty sure it had some secret works modifications done to it.

But who knows? I can only speculate.

And that's probably why it wouldn't get on the "power board". It's not the production model.

The Doctor said:
I'm met him several times and like so many professional comedians, he's an absolute bore in real life.

He's more an actor known for comic roles, I reckon.

He doesn't really do standup or on-the-spot comedy, he works from scripts and is a perfectionist about it.

However, if I was to meet a proper stand up, a la Paul Merton or Bill Bailey...

Rowan Atkinson famously wrote his McLaren off in an acident he obviously couldn't handle the power!

Although this thread is really old, I thought I'd add my two cents anyway. I don't think the F1 could manage a 1 '17 run. I mean yea in a straight line I know only of the Veyron and the Koenigsegg CCR, or CCX I suppose, that give the top speed a nudge (obviously disregarding modified vehicles). But as it was developed in the early 90s it's aerodynamic properties are questionable. It stands to reason; a car like the Carrera GT or Zonda F would probably be more aerodynamic and overall better handling cars due to technological development. I think it's hammond who says it in the first episode of new Top Gear, these days it's more about how fast a car goes around the track, not how fast it is in a straight line. Hence I think a 1 '17 wouldn't be all that likely...but who knows. I haven't exactly driven the cars before so I'm not in a position question. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.