Mclaren Mp 4/12C review, what did you think?

SO Tiff has a problem with it because it wouldn't let him power slide it .. saying he was trying to make it do something it was designed not to do .. well try to drive it without a power slide and see what happens.

And their lap times said it was slower than the Ferrari??? where did 3 seconds disappear ? Maybe they should get some lessons from new Stig - or stop trying to make smoke and make some speed

EVO and CAR (two respected UK car magazines) tested the 458 and MP4-12C against each other around a track. Both found that the 458 was faster and more enjoyable around the track. ;)

EVO and CAR (two respected UK car magazines) tested the 458 and MP4-12C against each other around a track. Both found that the 458 was faster and more enjoyable around the track. ;)

This makes Clarkson a liar then.

Links?

Reactions: TC
personally I think it is logical that MP4 is faster than 458, it is lighter, more powerful, stick to the ground more, go through the corners better which you see on the clip Stig drive around the track
and also Stig is a guy who can drive almost as quickly as a F1 driver, and if Jeremy lies about the track time, the whole Top gear would be meaningless, I don't see the reason why he had to lie,

Each circuit will suit a different car. For example, the track EVO used favours slightly more pointy, less powerful cars. If there was a track with long straights the McLaren would shine.

Did they go around the 'Ring? I'm pretty sure the extra power and lightness of the McLaren will make it faster (but less fun...:p).

I have a growing suspicion that not utring the traction control off is the problem in all the other tests: They definitely turned it off for the Top Gear test , but when Ben Collins drove it he had it on, because they thought it couldnt be turned off. That definitely could make a few seconds of difference for a professional race driver. It is probable the same thing happened with fifth gear, and this is why everyone but topgear had the 458 ahead of the MP4.

People keep saying that maybe Mclaren used a tuned up press car, but its doubtful that theyd give such a car to TG, but not to other press organisations.

Each circuit will suit a different car. For example, the track EVO used favours slightly more pointy, less powerful cars. If there was a track with long straights the McLaren would shine.

I have a growing suspicion that not utring the traction control off is the problem in all the other tests: They definitely turned it off for the Top Gear test , but when Ben Collins drove it he had it on, because they thought it couldnt be turned off. That definitely could make a few seconds of difference for a professional race driver. It is probable the same thing happened with fifth gear, and this is why everyone but topgear had the 458 ahead of the MP4.

People keep saying that maybe Mclaren used a tuned up press car, but its doubtful that theyd give such a car to TG, but not to other press organisations.

You made a good point as the guys here mentioned before. The McLaren was developed on the TG Test Track as a benchmark and vehicle's dynamics make up for big differences from track to track.

Honestly. I don't think one only person test drives all the cars, but every manufacturer sends and sets a lap time with their own chief test driver after they set the car's balance. I Mean, insurance premiums for supercars don't come cheap, and specially for a day of power-blasting on the track. For me seems pretty logical that they want to keep someone of trust setting the time. However that is just my opinion.

The thing is that the 458 is a thing of lust, beauty and excitement while going fast. The McLaren just does fast, and is up to you to bring up the excitement into the mix.

I would say that now that we have the time for the McLaren and the 458 on TG Track as a benchmark for a small fast circuit, lets just wait to see what we get out of Dr. Cold McLaren on the N?rburgring and see how they stack up... (I know James is gonna hate me for this, probably because I am a douchebag).

N?rburgring Nordschleife: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times
Dunsfold TG Test Track: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

McLaren: Speed Machine
Ferrari: Sex Toy

Here are some good points about the McLaren:

Last edited:
I agree with the findings of the show (perhaps not that the McLaren was faster, but the other bit.) The Ferrari seems like it has more passion and fire than the McLaren. Perhaps why they pitted a yellow Mac vs a red Fezza to emphasize this? Anywho, if I had the means to buy either one of those cars, I too would be buying the Ferrari.

It simply doesn't look special enough, in my opinion.

It is a fact that we buy cars as much with our hearts as our heads and it doesn't matter how good something is on paper if it doesn't "speak" to you. Same applies to women in my experience. On paper, for example, Charlize Theron should have me drooling but in actual fact she does nothing for me at all. But then if money were no object I would probably buy a Maserati over a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo etc etc etc even though they are all better cars. Why? I dunno.

If we were being examined by a higher intelligence I am sure this is one aspect of our behaviour that they would struggle to get their heads around, the fact that we use a lot of the same criteria and probably the same areas of our brains when choosing a car as when choosing a mate.

I think the biggest problem with the new Mclaren is the the absence of Gordon Murray in it's development.

If I was to drive a 458 to the McLaren factory to pick up my new MP4-12C, I don't know if I'd want to drive it home, rather than get back in the Ferrari. I know it's a new supercar, so I personally would be super-excited switching from my car right now, but in that scenario?

I actually saw my first one just a couple of days ago, in McLaren orange no less. It sounded alright, but nothing a "boring" Audi R8 V8 wouldn't overshadow. My (lady)friend completely missed it, but swoones every single time a 458, SLS etc. goes by (surprisingly often). When I pointed to it she still missed it. An orange supercar. Mustn't happen.

Good point, could very well be true. If so, you gotta wonder though... Why didn't Mclaren bother to tell all the reviewers how to turn off the traction control?! That would be incredibly stupid. But it could be the case, since Jeremy clearly mentioned he asked himself how to do it.

Anyway, the exterior design is the problem with the MP4. It looks like a supercar from the late 90s, but it's 2011 now. No matter how good it is to drive, there is nothing exciting about it when you look at it.

It's a 'classic' and contemporary design. I can't find anything wrong with it tbh. The design of the 458 doesn't do much for me either.