McLaren P1 v Porsche 918 Spyder. Which is fastest? evo Track Battle

A minor gripe, but I think the P1 sounds really bad/artificial on the inside.

I'm pretty sure it's one of McLaren's validation vehicles. I think it looks cool when worn anyway.

Brilliant review. Enjoyed that a lot. The McLaren is a beast but the Porsche surprised me. It still set a decent time with less power and more weight.
Cannot go wrong with either.

Totally OT, but are those the same carbon buckets in the new GT3? They are beautiful. Love that neck area with the carbon showing.

I've always thought the Pilot Sport Cup's and PZero Corsas are pretty similar tires.
From FerrariChat:
Now I know...
The Pirelli Trofeo/Trofeo R is on an average 1,5-2 sec faster on a 1 minute track than the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on my 430 Scuderia, that is a big difference.

I am sure Michelin is better in the wet but for track days I will move back to Pirelli Trofeo. Michelin also has a much higher tendency to overheat, didn't like the characteristics of the Cup 2 at all...
And:
I just tried the michelin pilot sport cup 2 on the track with the scuderia
even if on different rims and size than std as they were 245/35 19 and 305/30 19.

Just before I was using pirelli pzero trofeo r with std rims and size.

I think the pilot sport cup 2 is more of an extreme version of the pilot super sport tthan a real
semi slick tyre.

Used on the road they are probably one of the best semi slick tyres you can get as they have a lot of grip are ok to use on the wet compared to other semi slick are not noisy and last longer.

On the track they are really not as good as the trofeo r and probably slower.
They become noisy as a street tyre at the limit and slightly overheat and do not have all that grip but they still dont worn too quick and are more than ok if you just want to have fun with your car.

But if you like to be fast than the trofeo r are much better.

I bet the McLaren is faster than the Porsche on a faster track but it obviously struggles to get power down on slower tracks like this.

I think the P1 looks better, but the Porsche sounds much better.
Too bad they didn't have a LaFerrari to add one more to the comparison.

I think the P1 looks better, but the Porsche sounds much better.
Too bad they didn't have a LaFerrari to add one more to the comparison.

I'm hoping Top Gear UK is the first group to get all three together. I'm sure they will need to borrow a LaFerrari from a friend of the show. Either Nick Mason's or Jay Kay's. I really hope its Jay Kay's green LaFerrari they get to borrow :D

Last edited:
"We had three journalists testing three cars and they all ended up liking a different one - so they are all great cars"

:rolleyes: playing it really safe there not to piss those three companies off, eh? Better leave the night-light on when you go to bed ...

Except all of them preferred the Ferrari.

Yeah, I was about to say. They all wanted the F car. And I can totally understand why, if for no other reason than DAT SOUND.

"We had three journalists testing three cars and they all ended up liking a different one - so they are all great cars"

:rolleyes: playing it really safe there not to piss those three companies off, eh? Better leave the night-light on when you go to bed ...

I'm not sure why you're implying such softball journalism here. The three represent the best of McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari. Why wouldn't they all be great cars? :huh:

i never liked the LaFerrari before, but holy crap it looks great on track!!

I'm not sure why you're implying such softball journalism here. The three represent the best of McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari. Why wouldn't they all be great cars? :huh:
The Question that seems to give people sleepless-nights is wich one is best.
Or to say it with TopGear?s own Taglines:
TopGear.com said:
The Verdict [...]Which hypercar wins?

And from what I read, they don?t actually "answer" that question. There prob isn?t even an answer to that question, wich makes the whole article click path a farce to start with. Answer the question you set out to answer or don?t bother asking it in the first place. softball journalism? That?s saying it nicely ...

Not that it actually matters or that I personally would care about wich one is best ... just saying.