McLaren to tackle Bathurst?

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
CRAIG Lowndes will have a chance to smash his own Bathurst lap record - in a Formula One car.
Moves are underway for V8 Supercars' Team Vodafone star Lowndes and former Formula One champion Jenson Button to swap cars and race around the famous Mount Panorama street circuit in the lead-up to the Melbourne Grand Prix.

Vodafone, who sponsors both Lowndes' Triple Eight Racing and Button McLaren Formula One team, have lodged an application with Bathurst council, seeking permission for the one-off event.

"It would be incredible if it all comes off," Lowndes said.

"It would be a dream to drive a Formula One car anywhere let alone Bathurst. It would just be awesome and fingers crossed we can do it."

Lowndes, who has never driven a Formula One car their top speed is around 350km/h said he could break his own record of 2.06.80 in Button's car.

Lowndes broke Greg Murphy's long-standing record last year but is tipping it will again come under threat with a car that is almost 800kg lighter than a V8 Supercar and more powerful. "You would be very disappointed if you couldn't go sub-2.06 in a car like that," Lowndes said.

"I just have to try and get my head around what it is going to feel like because I have no idea." Lowndes admitted the prospect of driving an F1 car around Mount Panorama was "nerve racking".

"I have already told the boys that if Jenson can get the thing around in one piece than I will have a crack," Lowndes said.

"It is going to be quite interesting going through the Dipper in one of those cars. I have driven a Formula 3000 before but nothing like this. It would be a huge opportunity and a thrill to drive it around the mountain.

"It will absolutely launch coming down the back of the mountain."

Fellow champion V8 driver Jamie Whincup described his ride in a McLaren at Albert Park as one of the most memorable moments of his life.

"Jumping into a Formula One car is almost like going into space, or flying a fighter jet. It's right up there with the best thing I could ever do," he said

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ourne-grand-prix/story-e6frecj3-1226000421187

Now this would be awesome, I rate Mr Panorama highly, it is a fantastic track.
Not sure how the F1 car will go around there though, it is quite bumpy.

That would be awesome!
*fingers crossed*

22nd March is a Tuesday. I dont know if that's the date or not, but it's what people on Autosport seem to be saying. I'll probably look to get the day off work and come across for a look.

SoMuchWin.png

I can't make it. :cry:

Yeah, my gf wont be coming over from Adelaide that weekend so I dont have much inclination to go now.

I fail to understand this comment.... If your GF isn't there you won't enjoy watching a F1 car buzzing along a road near you? Are you already that old (at the age of 23) that you can't do anything without the Mrs.?!?

Yeah, my gf wont be coming over from Adelaide that weekend so I dont have much inclination to go now.

Motorsports before hoes. *Brofist*

I fail to understand this comment.... If your GF isn't there you won't enjoy watching a F1 car buzzing along a road near you? Are you already that old (at the age of 23) that you can't do anything without the Mrs.?!?

Well not so much her, but anyone. It'd be kinda boring going to an event like that on my own I reckon, but I dont know anyone around where I live who's interested in that sort of thing and would be willing to come with me. If my gf did come we would've made a proper day of it and done other 'couple activities' around the town, which would be pretty dull on my own.

Plus I'll probably be working and it's only a promo event and not a full on F1 car assault on the Mountain so I just dont know if it's worth asking for the time off. The company I work for apparently dont like people asking for time off and as I'm still only new I dont want to make the wrong impression on a management team who dont appear to have proper HR skills. For example, a trainee colleague asked for time off to go see her sick father in Melbourne and she got told off for it to the point she was too scared to ask for time off to go to her grandfather's funeral not long after. Insane I know, but that's how it is.

Well not so much her, but anyone. It'd be kinda boring going to an event like that on my own I reckon, but I dont know anyone around where I live who's interested in that sort of thing and would be willing to come with me. If my gf did come we would've made a proper day of it and done other 'couple activities' around the town, which would be pretty dull on my own.

Plus I'll probably be working and it's only a promo event and not a full on F1 car assault on the Mountain so I just dont know if it's worth asking for the time off. The company I work for apparently dont like people asking for time off and as I'm still only new I dont want to make the wrong impression on a management team who dont appear to have proper HR skills. For example, a trainee colleague asked for time off to go see her sick father in Melbourne and she got told off for it to the point she was too scared to ask for time off to go to her grandfather's funeral not long after. Insane I know, but that's how it is.

Not going alone sounds better than what I thought.... Apologies there...

As for your job and the story about that lady... That is completely unacceptable. I would go nuts on my first day....