Mclarens 911 rival revealed

MOTORLOON1993

Mclarens new 911 beater unvield. Take a look at the British supercar that?s got the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 in its sights! This striking machine is an all-new entry-level ?baby? model from Formula One racing team McLaren ? and it will take the company into uncharted territory, rivalling established brands with a price tag of around ?80,000.

The sports car is a key part of McLaren boss Ron Dennis? plans to expand McLaren Automotive ? the division responsible for the Mercedes SLR McLaren and original F1 road car ? into a volume producer.

Already in the pipeline is the P11, a Ferrari F430 rival that we?ve scooped undergoing final testing. A hi-tech, expensive flagship that would revive the spirit of the original F1 supercar is on the horizon, too.

However, McLaren has ambitious plans to produce several thousand units from its factory in Woking, Surrey, over the next five years. So, it needs to enter an entirely new sector ? and that?s where this ?baby? model comes in.

Compact
Based on the same rear-wheel-drive chassis as the P11, it will boast a composite body and be very compact ? slightly smaller than the Audi R8.

Ex-Fiat and Ferrari designer Frank Stephenson has been installed as styling director at McLaren Automotive, and is working on a range of projects ? including this car. These artist?s impressions give you the best idea yet of how the newcomer could look ? and as you can see, there are clear influences from the P11, as well as cues from the original Peter Stevens-designed F1.

To keep costs down and prevent the small McLaren from stepping on the toes of the turbocharged P11, power is likely to come from a normally aspirated 6.2-litre V8 sourced from Mercedes? AMG division.

With 450bhp in a car that weighs around 1,300kg, performance will still be scintillating. A 0-60mph time of 4.5 seconds and top speed of 195mph will more than match the V8-powered R8.

A semi-automatic gearbox with steering wheel-mounted paddles and carbon ceramic brakes will be standard.

The baby McLaren is still some way off, though ? it?s unlikely to appear before 2012 http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/234101/baby_mclaren_guns_for_porsche.html Sorry no pics for some reason it dosent work on my laptop. :(

Sorry no pics for some reason it dosent work on my laptop. :(

My computer > your laptop

Don't believe it will look like this, but anyways:

https://pic.armedcats.net/j/je/jensked/2009/02/18/car_photo_301990_25.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/j/je/jensked/2009/02/18/car_photo_301989_25.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/j/je/jensked/2009/02/18/car_photo_301988_25.jpg

Looks uninspired and boring to me ... and trying to take on the 911 with a car that?s not even better looking (wich shouldn?t be that hard of a goal to reach), sounds a bit hopeless to me.

These artist?s impressions give you the best idea yet of how the newcomer could look

So it's all completely meaningless. Move along, nothing to see here.

And yes, I am sick of these pointless "artist's impressions".

Last edited:
The first two R8 chops are utterly atrocious, the third one is rather good looking if a bit conventional.

Ferrar 430 much? Also, Audi rear end. Do not want

^ Yeah, I know - still, I guess it's amusing to see people jump up and down about the pointless pretty pictures as if they have anything to do with the final product.

So McLaren is going to go from a company that made the F1 and some fancy Benz to having a "911 killer", "F430 killer", and the P12 which is I guess the "Zonda killer"...

Guys, it might be wise to make 1 of them and make sure it's good and sells before you plan on taking over the automotive world. What's next the McLaren daily driver civic killer?

I wouldn't mind a McCivic.

1. Wrong category.
2. We already have several posts about the McLaren thing.

:dancinglock:

Ahh, so thats where all that secret ferarri information went!

Looks like they threw a F430 in the microwave and slapped some paint on the result.

Oh I'm sorry, I dozed off while looking at those pics.

What a truly boring and utterly unimaginative artist. Who's gonna buy that lump? What's with the Ferrari 360 front? It was rubbish in the first place. The Audi R8-style side profile looks good though.. too bad this isn't an Audi R8. Can't see this thing competing with a Ssangyong in styling, let alone Porsche or Zonda.

Last edited:
So McLaren is going to go from a company that made the F1 and some fancy Benz to having a "911 killer", "F430 killer", and the P12 which is I guess the "Zonda killer"...

Guys, it might be wise to make 1 of them and make sure it's good and sells before you plan on taking over the automotive world. What's next the McLaren daily driver civic killer?

If you're gonna go for it you might as well go all in. The design team from the P11 are going to have to do something once they ship it off to be put into production, so they may as well start on the P12. When that's done it's onto the P13. By the time that's over they can work on P11 upgrades etcetera etcetera.