McLaren's appeal set for Nov 15th

I think McLaren are right to appeal. It just happened that this was the last race of the season. If it was around malaysia for example, I doubt there would be this much of an outcry. Rules are rules and they should be enforced. Otherwise this will set a precedent and other teams will start abusing stuff and get away with it.

Reactions: TC
Let them appeal, it will just be another piece in the mounting pile of evidence that they - not Ferrari - are the real spoil sports in F1. Eventually this mountain will get so big, not even you Brits will be able to ignore it.

Let them appeal, it will just be another piece in the mounting pile of evidence that they - not Ferrari - are the real spoil sports in F1. Eventually this mountain will get so big, not even you Brits will be able to ignore it.

do you have a ferrari tattoo on your butt-cheek or something? :lol:

Having read Ted's notebook form ITV, I can't see BMW or Williams being penalised.

Not to get off topic here, but what ever happened to the renault charges that McLaren was going to make?

Renault probably agreed to give Mclaren some shut up money.

BMW and Williams are fine. Sam Michael is confident and it sounds like the FIA got all the temps wrong.

Ted Kravitz itv-f1.com said:
A very wound-up Williams technical director Sam Michael explained to me at the airport on Sunday night how certain he was that his cars were not illegal.

Firstly, the temperature of the fuel was taken by the FIA when the fuel was ?going into the car during the race refuelling?.

This is significant.

Article 6.5.5 of the technical regulations says that the fuel in the car cannot be less than 10 degrees cooler than ambient. It makes no mention of the fuel in the refuelling rig.

The readings came from the fuel rig while it was pumping the fuel in, so it was not taking the temperature of the fuel in the car as the rules state.

The fuel would have warmed up as soon as it went into the tank, and BMW and Williams have data that supports this.

Secondly, the ambient temperature was never 37 degrees.

The temperatures were taken from Formula One Management data that is shown on page three of the circuit?s timing screens.

But in Brazil, these temperature readings were, to put it mildly, unscientific.

Either the air temperature probe was in the sun (air temp should always be taken from the shade) or it was not calibrated correctly.

This is supported by the readings of the track temperature.

When the race started, the FOM screens showed the track temperature as 62 degrees.

That would?ve melted even my trusty Dr Martens boots.

Bridgestone measured the track temp at a more usual 48 degrees.

The weather experts from Meteo France, who sit in a small container within the circuit measuring the weather to internationally accepted standards and accuracy, said the ambient temperature (in the shade) never exceeded 34 degrees.

So in that light, it does seem that BMW and Williams were legal, and McLaren will have a hard time proving otherwise.

BMW and Williams are fine. Sam Michael is confident and it sounds like the FIA got all the temps wrong.

We're expected to believe the FIA isn't even competent enough to use a thermometer?

Actually, that's not such a stretch at all. :p No shock there.

If BMW/Williams is blaming the FIA and saying their ambient air temps were incorrect, then wouldn't every team's fuel come up as being too cold?

I doubt the FIA would use a different set of equipment for each team in the paddock to measure the air temperature.... right?

If BMW/Williams is blaming the FIA and saying their ambient air temps were incorrect, then wouldn't every team's fuel come up as being too cold?

I doubt the FIA would use a different set of equipment for each team in the paddock to measure the air temperature.... right?

You may be on to some thing! Everyone should've been penalized 'cept for BMW and Williams!

^ Would be hilarious if the others get penalised instead of BMW and Williams :lol:

Cos you do realise that if that happened, then Alonso wins the title if they all get a time penalty.

Cos you do realise that if that happened, then Alonso wins the title if they all get a time penalty.

How do you work that one out?
If they all get relegated 3 places say then Hamilton and Alonso would be joint leaders with Raikonnen one point behind but Hamilton would still win it on count back.

How do you work that one out?
If they all get relegated 3 places say then Hamilton and Alonso would be joint leaders with Raikonnen one point behind but Hamilton would still win it on count back.

Nope, your right. I was half asleep when I worked it out in my mind :lol:

They wont change the results.

Nope, your right. I was half asleep when I worked it out in my mind :lol:

They wont change the results.

They better not, Raikonnen is a worthy champion who has the misfortune of driving for a bunch of tits.

I feel that the FIA should be consistent in enforcing its rules. McLaren is probably appealing, because regaurdless of whether or not BMW and Williams cheated, the FIA should probe the incident with the same fevor and dedication they put towards investigating the "spygate" incident. Now, I am not saying that BMW and Williams should be severly penelized, but I think the punishment should fit the crime (maybe knock a point or two off of their constructor's points).

There is nothing more annoying in motorsports than a sanctioning body that does not enforce its rules consistantly and constantly. All it leads to is headaches and court room battles like this.

I'm guessing that if the appeal is succesful and Hamilton gets the title because of it, both Alonso and Raikkonen would take a gun and shoot each other.

I'm guessing that if the appeal is succesful and Hamilton gets the title because of it, both Alonso and Raikkonen would take a gun and shoot each other.

Why would they do that?

McLaren can go to hell. FFS, Ron should get over it and instead of accusing the other teams of having "illegal" cars, he should just accept that they weren't doing anything significant as the article quoted by Honda F1 shows.

And even if they had an advantage it wouldn't have been much. The reason Hamilton came 7th was his fault. NOT, the fault of some cold fuel, and that's IF it were cold.

IMO Kimi is a worthy winner.

McLaren can go to hell. FFS, Ron should get over it and instead of accusing the other teams of having "illegal" cars, he should just accept that they weren't doing anything significant as the article quoted by Honda F1 shows.

And even if they had an advantage it wouldn't have been much. The reason Hamilton came 7th was his fault. NOT, the fault of some cold fuel, and that's IF it were cold.

IMO Kimi is a worthy winner.

You missed the point though. The rules need to be enforced and if the BMW or the Williams were outside of the regulations, then regardless of whether they benefitted, they have to face the consequences. This isn't about winning Lewis the title, its about calling the FIA's consistency.