Meanwhile, Down Under (The Australian Thread)

stiggie

pop
DONOR
Car(s)
Golf GTI
A thread for sharing some of those unique Australian experiences that we down here sometimes forget are so very, very strange.

There was a red sunset yesterday through the smoke from various bushfires about 50-100 Km away to the South, West and North-West. I wasn't able to get a photo, but this is what a bushfire does to the sun-

EA260008.jpg

They say that smell is the best trigger for memories and associations. Today the whole region is covered in an ominous white haze and there is an ever-present smell of burnt eucalypt forest in the air. Its making me think of Christmas. I'm feeling the sudden urge to go out and buy decorations. Usually it is the deafening chorus of cicadas at dusk or that undefinable smell of summer that gets me feeling festive sometime in December, but the bushfires must be taking me back to the Christmas of 2001 when conditions were very similar to this.

Last edited:

Rex Luther

Car(s)
Honda Jaaaaaazz, 89 M-B 300 CE

As you can see, ALL Australian households have pet Kangaroo's.

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
you could see the smoke coming from all the fires on the flight to Melbourne (where it's currently raining!)

Lurch0001

Car(s)
German car & British bike
What do you mean 'always raining'? It rains every other hour, I'll have you know.
And when it's not raining, it's drizzling. Or sprinkling, spitting, pelting, lashing, teeming... Just like Eskimos have hundreds of words for snow, Melbournians have many words for rain.

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
here's a few more i snapped with my phone at the airport and just after 10,000ft after leaving Sydney

the photo's don't show it so great but there were pockets with a huge plume of smoke

and this is what it looked like on the ground in sydney (and reeked of smoke)