Meanwhile, Down Under (The Australian Thread)

We had a light sprinkling of rain last night. I thought Christmas had arrived late.
Sadly a few of my friends have been affected by the bushfires over here. A friends parents home got hit and it took out the surrounding grounds. They did get one glimmer of good news though; after being told that all the animals were gone, this happened:
1004922_704738116225818_2024142237_n.jpg

(pic taken from ABC news site. She didn't just photograph her dog arriving instead of hugging poor Charlie)
Maybe its me, but if I lost my property to fire, as long as my dogs were safe, I could deal with that.

Last edited:
Here's the full list of top annoyances.

Pet travelling peeves according to women:

1. Failing to respect the country's culture

2. Taking too long to get ready

3. Refusing to wear deodorant

4. Speaking too loudly

5. Drinking too much

Pet travelling peeves according to men:

1. Taking too long to get ready

2. Failing to respect the country's culture

3. Speaking too loudly

4. Always darting in and out of shops

5. Battling when it comes to reading maps.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/...ralians-revealed/story-fni0bieo-1226802828864

god our journalism is crap these days, they wonder why nobody wants to pay for it

I can always rely on the age to put out at least one article about how bad the government is and then the herald to put one out about the grownups being back in charge. Actual news is occasionally sprinkled in there as poorly spelled lists and stories that have absolutely nothing to do with anything to do with Australia - who gives a shit about some hunting mishap in the middle of nowhere USA.

god our journalism is crap these days, they wonder why nobody wants to pay for it

I can always rely on the age to put out at least one article about how bad the government is and then the herald to put one out about the grownups being back in charge. Actual news is occasionally sprinkled in there as poorly spelled lists and stories that have absolutely nothing to do with anything to do with Australia - who gives a shit about some hunting mishap in the middle of nowhere USA.

10 reasons why news.com.au (and affiliates) sucks. You'll never believe what happens next!!

So yeah, we're on fire again.

Don't understand why they sometimes use small single engine planes and smallish fire engines.
article-2541035-1AB995BB00000578-86_964x639.jpg

Jet powered truck would be more appropriate, if you can find the water to fuel them

Last edited:
Don't understand why they sometimes use small single engine planes and smallish fire engines.
article-2541035-1AB995BB00000578-86_964x639.jpg

Short and rough field performance and access. Lots of paddocks and unprepared airfields around to refuel and rearm reload with water.

Small trucks? Similar deal. Access tracks are tiny and really rough.

Short and rough field performance and access. Lots of paddocks and unprepared airfields around to refuel and rearm reload with water.

I think they said a similar thing about the 747 firefighting plane (and the russian equivalents) that there isn't enough places capable of refuelling them and they would essentially have to fly back to Melbourne/Adelaide/Sydney to reload

That's an Air Tractor 502, crop duster. It's laying down fire suppressant not water. They are built to do this kind of work. Hell of a lot of engine in them so they can work as well in the vertical as the horizontal for running up ridge lines etc.

And crop dusters are mad, they'll lay chemical on a vertical wall if you ask them to.

That's just an example picture that I didn't pay any attention to. The aircraft used are still small in comparison to the Evergreen 747.

Last edited:

That, plus I guess just trowing everything you got at it, can't imagine OZ actually having that many huge firefighting planes, nobody does, and those cropdusters are probably much more abundant.

If I was in charge, I, would be sending people in with buckets and wet mops if need be, then again that's probably why they never let me be in charge of anything.

Anyway, stay safe y'all.

That's just an example picture that I didn't pay any attention to. The aircraft used are still small in comparison to the Evergreen 747.

That more like it, 78,000l

Do the RAAF ever use their Hercules' or Globemasters for fire fighting?

Last edited:
Or you could use a plane design for the job, like the CL415, only drops 6,140 liters at a time, but if there is a lake nearby, it will drop it every few minutes...