Meanwhile, Down Under (The Australian Thread)

Or you could use a plane design for the job, like the CL415, only drops 6,140 liters at a time, but if there is a lake nearby, it will drop it every few minutes...

There was one of them on Ice Pilots, where a trainee pilot did a touch and go, without putting the landing carriage down!

Too late for Oz to order a CL415, so they will have to order hundreds of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-200

Last edited:
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!!!

MOTHERFUCKING CICADAS!!! DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!

Someone hasn't had his single malt this evening.

Or you could use a plane design for the job, like the CL415, only drops 6,140 liters at a time, but if there is a lake nearby, it will drop it every few minutes...

if you look at Victoria and South Australia on a map most of the lakes near where the fires are would be too small to safely approach or just too difficult to get to. If you look at Halls Gap in Victoria the closed place they could get a sizeable amount of water is probably from Melbourne

They never shut up and there are sooo many more of them this year than there normally are. They start before dawn and they so fucking loud!

We have a couple of pine trees 20m from the house and they are full of magpies. Bastards are a raucous bunch and Sunday morning lay ins are a bust.

I don't know what European magpies sound like. Australian magpies come from a completely different family of birds and can best be described as black and white crows. They are very territorial so they are usually found in pairs, not flocks and they attack humans during nesting season.

Here is one about to beat the crap out of a hawk-
Magpie.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what European magpies sound like. Australian magpies come from a completely different family of birds and can best be described as black and white crows. They are very territorial so they are usually found in pairs, not flocks and they attack humans during nesting season.

Here is one about to beat the crap out of a hawk-
View attachment 11569

That belongs in the awesome thread.

Strangely, I've never heard of anybody being attacked by a crow down here. It is always the magpies that get the bad press.

- - - Updated - - -

That belongs in the awesome thread.

They're tough birds. I once saw one get hit by a car while chasing a couple of seagulls. It was bounced between the road and the undercarriage a couple of times as the car passed over it. Then it got up, shook out its wings and flew off like nothing had happened. :lol:

Strangely, I've never heard of anybody being attacked by a crow down here. It is always the magpies that get the bad press.

- - - Updated - - -

They're tough birds. I once saw one get hit by a car while chasing a couple of seagulls. It was bounced between the road and the undercarriage a couple of times as the car passed over it. Then it got up, shook out its wings and flew off like nothing had happened. :lol:

I will say that seeing my yr12 maths teacher being swooped by a magpie was one of the greatest things I ever saw in high school, that guy was such a wanker

Yep, that is what it is like at my place. <_<

They're not so loud here. Perks of living in an area with only concrete and few trees :p

However, other places, they are ridiculously deafening. I went on a walk with some friends up Mt Kembla a few weeks back - our ears were close to bleeding.

I'm in Coniston, but my yard backs onto a reserve that is all bush.

With how close you are to Stuart Park, I would have expected you to have a few around Hbriz.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember being utterly terrified by this one tree on the way to primary school. I'd cross the road for 20 metres just to avoid the magpies nesting in it.

Yep, we all remember that. Part of the quintessential Australian childhood. :lol: