• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Meanwhile, I'm on fire.

AutoMX

Well for those not in the area, there have been extensive wildfires going on in my area for the last 2 days. It's currently at 17 000 acres burnt, 1 house gone, 3000 firefighters working on the problem, about 30 aircraft including quite a few Skycranes, and they're waiting for the planes from Qu?bec. I'm not in the affected area, about 10km west of it, but being on a hill isn't making me feel great either. I know a bunch of people in the fire area and they say it's pretty bad.

Here are some photos I took this morning, when things looked good. They have gotten worse since but my USB card reader has died so I'll have to get newer photos later.

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

My car is currently white in ash, and the sun later turned red from the thick smoke. It's been fun. It's well over 100 degrees F (somewhere around 40C) during the day when the wind blows the clouds toward us, and it's definitely been a unique time.
This is definitely not helping me work on a custom front lip for my MR2 since the body filler and fiberglass resin is curing within 30 seconds or so :x

Hope you keep staying safe dude :)

haz

I quit smoking but I'm still inhaling the same amount of smoke!

The smoke and ashes in the air made for a very interesting sunset.
There were actually 7 different fires in Southern California. A few were put out, but other are still burning.
Every year, we seem to get major fires around here. I remember a year or so ago when the fire came within miles of my school. A few years earlier, a waterway was the only thing separating a fire and my family's house!

It's not surprising when the entire landscape of Southern California is covered in bone dry shrub which are naturally designed to excrete flammable oils. Many of these shrubs have seeds which only pop open during a fire.

One of my favorite talk radio hosts was not on tonight because he was busy evacuating today. (Frank from the Triplets if you know what I'm talking about)

I know what the smoke feels like. Just a few weeks ago a fire started at a bog near Vancouver and the smoke in the air was pretty nasty.

Essh thats pretty bad, I was watching video of it on the news. Its like this every year in different areas. I hope they put it out soon!

We're getting lucky here in the AV...last time there was a fire down in L.A. or in the mountains, the winds picked it up and threw the smoke right on the base. But I can see the smoke slowly coming this way as a I look south at the mountains towards Santa Clarita...or at least in that area

Seen alot of these on Montana a couple years ago when there was a big breakout...my car was covered in ash & ash stains from rain from the fires in the rockies near the Idaho/Montana border, and I lived 200 miles from the area 8) :thumbsdown:

Let's hope they can get it contained soon.

looks like it's pretty steady to being over with. however, sad news for us:

it seems the fire has claimed at least 1 victim: a shelby cobra. the car is completely molted and gone, and i'm pretty certain it wasn't a kit car. the body was aluminum, that i know for sure. alot of rare guitars and a harley and a jag were also lost (in 2 houses from what i've heard). :(

AutoMX said:
looks like it's pretty steady to being over with. however, sad news for us:

it seems the fire has claimed at least 1 victim: a shelby cobra. the car is completely molted and gone, and i'm pretty certain it wasn't a kit car. the body was aluminum, that i know for sure. alot of rare guitars and a harley and a jag were also lost (in 2 houses from what i've heard). :(
:cry: cars and guitars gonr forever :cry:

I went out about 20min before this post...took some pics right as the sun was below the horizon.

I am about 95 miles north-north-east of the greater L.A. area, this is actually the first time it has come over the valley. Winds are picking up as they come over the mountains from the south, sure smells bad..hurts my eyes :no:. I went towards the south gate of the base...and I couldn't even see Lancaster/Palmdale...and those two cities are only 15 miles away :blink:

Sorry that they are slighty low quality, conditions aren't very ideal for picture taking...
http://img313.imageshack.**/img313/3173/dsc017107ds.th.jpg

http://img313.imageshack.**/img313/6563/dsc017156ms.th.jpg
Had to pop my car in there.. :roll:
http://img313.imageshack.**/img313/8530/dsc017134tl.th.jpg