Medal of Honor

The fact that this game comes with the beta for Battlefield 3 means its a must get.

This is going to be a "pirate and play, maybe buy if I like it" situation, just like MW2.

Dunno... If I can get it for cheap, I might buy it. I played the MP Beta quite a bit and I like it a lot...

Reminded me of something so I made this

http://a.imageshack.**/img529/7776/epicbeardisepic.jpg

originally posted in the wrong thread, corrected and posted here since its about this game. my apologies for any confusion. blame the government, they made me see red when i saw this.

British Defense Boss Wants Medal Of Honor Banned​
How tempting it was to write "Fox wants Medal of Honor banned." For while the U.K.'s defense (sigh, defence) secretary is named Liam Fox, he's not the fearmongering U.S. network.

Fox (again, man, not network) is of course pissed that the game's multiplayer mode allows one side to fight as Taliban insurgents against 'Mericans - sorry, coalition forces. Many in this noncontroversy have gone out of their way to take offense (sigh, offence) but Fox (not the network) gets special commendation. He's assuming that because one of the multiplayer maps is set within Helmland province, where U.K. forces are based, this explicitly means the game's killing British troops.

"I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game," the man who is not the network said. "I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

original article: http://kotaku.com/5618956/british-defense-boss-wants-medal-of-honor-banned

oddly enough in the Call of Duty games, players played as Nazi soldiers and no one complained then...

I would just like to point out that when C&C Generals came out, I was very effective with early-game rushes, using suicide bombers jumping out of the back of technicals and creating havoc throughout the enemy's base (whether the opposing player was the US, China, or Muslim insurgents like me). At the time, I was a self-described neoconservative fully supportive of the wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan (I hadn't yet come around to opposing the Iraq War).

IT'S. JUST. A. GAME. Lighten up.

Stumbled across this on another MoH thread on another forum

[video=youtube;DPNBeM-aDjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPNBeM-aDjg[/video]

Another video game "controversy"

and some more...

The UK's Secretary of State for Defence Liam Fox has called for the ban of the "tasteless" Medal of Honor. The only defense he is doing now is of his remarks.

"I am disgusted and angry," Fox initially said. "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

The Medal of Honor series was created by filmmaker Steven Spielberg, and the upcoming entry in the series features multiplayer that allows gamers to play as Taliban fighters. Fox's comments seem to be prompted by a YouTube clip that shows a Taliban fighting on a multiplayer map in Helmand province, where is where UK forces are stationed.

Thing is, there are no British troops in the game. According to Electronic Arts, Medal of Honor "does not allow players to kill British soldiers". So how could Medal of Honor be "thoroughly un-British"? Oh right, it can't.

A spokesperson for Fox says the politician "stood by" his comments. "The point remains that part of this game allows you to play the part of the Taliban attacking ISAF troops in the area of central Helmand where British troops are operating."

The most worrying part about this? Fox is shooting his mouth off about something he clearly misconstrued. He didn't know what he was talking about. He didn't have all the facts. Total cowboy stuff.
original article: http://kotaku.com/5619395/british-politician-defends-his-call-for-medal-of-honor-ban

and from BBC News
Britain's Defence Secretary Liam Fox has defended his comments calling on retailers to ban the forthcoming Medal of Honor video game from their stores. On Sunday, Mr Fox said he was "disgusted" by the game, which allows players to adopt the role of the Taliban in the Afghan war. The game's publishers Electronic Arts said the minister had portrayed parts of the game inaccurately. The government said Dr Fox was expressing a "personal view".
A spokesperson for Dr Fox said he "stood by" his comments. "The point remains that part of this game allows you to play the part of the Taliban attacking ISAF troops in the area of central Helmand where British troops are operating."
On Sunday, Dr Fox said that it was "shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban against British soldiers At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands," he said. "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."
An Electronic Arts spokesman said the game "does not allow players to kill British soldiers and that no British troops feature in the game," he said.
The Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) has distanced itself from the minister's comments. "Dr Fox was expressing a personal view and we understand why some people might find the subject matter of the game offensive. "There is a ratings system in place which exists to categorise games appropriately. In this case, the game in question is rated 18 so should only be sold to, and played by, adults. "There is a clear choice for consumers which they can exercise when making decisions about purchasing video games."

Time Shift
Earlier this year, Frank Gibeau, the president of Electronic Art's game label, told BBC News he was aware that the game could cause controversy and had taken steps to minimise this. "That was the big risk with this project," he said. "It was one that we took a thoughtful approach to, in that a lot of current soldiers are advising us on the game to ensure it is authentic and realistic."
The game, set for release in October 2010, is the latest in a long-running series by Electronic Arts. It is the first time the game has dispensed with its World War II theme, instead opting to recreate combat in the ongoing war in Afghanistan. The revamped title follows a number of soldiers serving under the National Command Authority in Afghanistan during the 2001 war. Later missions allow players to adopt the role of US Army rangers. It is the multi-player version of the game - in which players can play as Taliban insurgents - that has sparked controversy in the UK and the US. A spokesman for EA said: "Medal of Honor is a highly authentic depiction of the soldier's experience in Afghanistan - matching US forces against the Taliban in today's war. In multi-player, teams assume the identities of combatants on both sides of the conflict. Many popular video games allow players to assume the identity of enemies, including Nazis and terrorists. In the multi-player levels of Medal of Honor, teams will assume the identity of both US forces and the Taliban."
It is not the first time a game has provoked controversy. In 2009, MP Keith Vaz called for a ban on a blockbuster video game, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, because of the portrayal of violence. He was particularly incensed by a scene in which undercover soldiers posed as terrorists and were asked to help shoot civilians. The game went on to become the biggest selling video game in history.
original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11056581

its kind of odd how the government still hasn't learned the lessons of complaining about video games. By giving the games this kind of publicity like they gave to Resistance: Fall of Man, Grand Theft Auto 4, Cod: Modern Warfare 2 all they are managing to do is drive people to the video game stores and buy the games in question.
Also, in the Kotaku article someone makes a very good point. The Game has a 18 certificate. The BBFC Classification system has been in place for years now and the media still bitches like hell when a violent video game is released. They always rail on the publisher or game developer but never on the parent who will go out and buy the game in the first place for the kid. The Classification is they for a reason, not to be used as a excuse.

what annoys me most of all is how Fox states "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game." it's like by buying this game he's calling me a traitor to my country. which is odd since i'm not the person thats sending troops off to war with only paper armor to protect them.

[/rant] apologies for the rant, just needed to vent and let rip.

Last edited:
someone should make a game where you play the IRA and try to kill as many british soldiers as possible.

The amount of rage would be unimaginable.

Looks good!

Awesome vid! It's looks so real it gets scary.......

someone should make a game where you play the IRA and try to kill as many british soldiers as possible.

The amount of rage would be unimaginable.

I'd play that ;)

Honestly all they're doing is making more people buy the game are they not aware of that? I wasn't gonna buy it but I've been hearing so much about it lately that I'm considering it...

As with most anything else, I always raise an eyebrow and take with a large grain of salt when the "B" word is thrown around. The word implies the issue at hand is between black and white, right and wrong, when we all know that almost all things are complex, multi-faceted, and generally reside in the "gray" area. But nope, the masses must have their Kool-aid...

EA must be creaming in their pants right now at the prospect of sales that this "controversy" will generate. In the end, as is in many things, it all comes down to the dollar/Euro/yen/etc.

PS: For anyone who wants some insight into the type of training/trial-by-fire involved in becoming a supposed "Tier-One", check out the recently series on Discovery called "Surviving the Cut".

So, this Tier 1 is something akin to the Spetsnaz? Because I know that people actually die during their Spetsnaz training

So, this Tier 1 is something akin to the Spetsnaz? Because I know that people actually die during their Spetsnaz training

Tier One isn't a specific unit, but just refers to the cream of the crop in Special Forces units. Delta Force is Tier One. SEALs are still definitely special forces but I think they're classified as Tier Two. However, DEVGRU (the elite counter-terrorism unit of the SEALs) is Tier One.

Spetsnaz as a whole wouldn't be equivalent to Tier One. But Alfa and Vympel, two elite sub-groups of Spetsnaz, might.

Edit: And unfortunately, the Russian army has a reputation of killing recruits in training, and not just for special forces. The physical abuse and hazing that has gone on as part of Russian basic training is unbelievable.

Many young men are killed or commit suicide every year because of dedovshchina [hazing]. The New York Times reported that in 2006 at least 292 Russian soldiers were killed by dedovshchina (although the Russian military only admits that 16 soldiers were directly murdered by acts of dedovshchina and claims that the rest committed suicide). The Times states: "On Aug. 4, it was announced by the chief military prosecutor that there had been 3,500 reports of abuse already this year (2006), compared with 2,798 in 2005". The BBC meanwhile reports that in 2007, 341 soldiers committed suicide, a 15% reduction on the previous year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedovshchina

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember seeing a documentary on Discovery about the Spetsnaz and it said something about a percentage of recruits dying during training.
All this talk about Special Forces makes me wonder if there's a book or a documentary covering all the different branches countries have.

Last edited: