Medal of Honor

Don't like it. There are games that are just related to one genre and are linked with it... CoD and MoH were linked to WW2... CoD jumped shark and now it's MoH time.
I guess I'll try this one out but it's just not the same. I know starting a new franchise is much harder than cashing off an established one but sometimes the hard thing to do is also the right thing to do.

(also I realize this sounds out of context, I was commenting on this new game and not on russian soldiers or anything, read the thread later)

Last edited:
Kotaku said:
EA Standing Up To Medal Of Honor Pressure
The UK's Secretary of State for Defence Liam Fox called for the ban of Medal of Honor for being "tasteless". He later defended his remarks. EA, the game's publisher, has now retorted.

EA Games president Frank Gibeau tells website Develop that Medal of Honor will not be altered due to the outcry of politicians or the media. Soldiers have opinions for and against the title.

The upcoming Medal of Honor features multiplayer that allows gamers to play as Taliban fighters. The game is set in Afghanistan.

"There's a lot of furore around games that take creative risks ? like games that let you play terrorists in airports mowing down civilians," Gibeau told Develop, referencing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"At EA we passionately believe games are an artform, and I don't know why films and books set in Afghanistan don't get flack, yet [games] do. Whether it's Red Badge Of Courage or The Hurt Locker, the media of its time can be a platform for the people who wish to tell their stories. Games are becoming that platform."

Gibeau continues, saying that EA anticipated the controversy "What's really important for us is that we partnered with the US military, and the Medal of Honor Society as well. We've gone out of our way to produce the best story for the game."

One of the worst things about controversies like this is that they cast aside something truly important: Is this a good game?

EA boss: MOH won't submit to 'Taliban' outcry [Develop]

what i find ridiculous about the whole thing is Liam Fox saying the game is "Un-British" yet its a game made by Americans, about Americans (although i believe that the missions in question are places that the British troops secured), and also there are (as EA has stated) no British troops in the game.

Im getting really sick of the media and governments taking aim at the video games industry. Its a big as the movie industry now i believe, creating tonnes of jobs for people, its sparking creativity in the youth of today (i know several people studying game design at uni). At the end of the day a game is no worse than a movie or even a book. Books dont have age ratings or warnings but any kid could pick up a novel with gory or adult themes and read it. Like has been said in the thread, these games have ratings, stores for the most part keep to these ratings, its the parents that buy it and give it to the kids.

Any person over 18 who buys and plays MOH or MW2 knows the difference between real-life and a game, the media and government need to stop thinking we're all a bunch of dumbasses that cant tell.

The game is set in Afghanistan like that was a real conflict. US Soldiers with the latest technology, satellites, GPS, UAVs, tanks, humvees, snipers, infra red vision, all well catered for and with the best money can buy vs a bunch of hungry badly trained badly equipped freedom fighters? It's like watching Manchester United play against a 3rd division club... What's the challenge? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for if the game should be published or not, 100% published. It's called freedom of speech and it applies to games too. If someone decided they wanted to make a game where you snipe out politicians from a bell tower, they're completely entitled to on the grounds that its not real.

Last edited:
At the end of the day a game is no worse than a movie or even a book. Books dont have age ratings or warnings but any kid could pick up a novel with gory or adult themes and read it. Like has been said in the thread, these games have ratings, stores for the most part keep to these ratings, its the parents that buy it and give it to the kids.

i remember reading about contents of a book being so outrageous that Schools/Politicians/Parents would demand a book to be banned and so on. All this is them just moving on down the chain. First it was books, then it was 'video nasties' now its video games.

Yes, yes, epic and everything, but why does the multiplayer have a completely different look than the single player?

That looks exactly like BC2. Even the Battlefield's trademark X that appears over the normal + crosshair indicating a hit...
I'm still sceptical about this one, will comment when I have played it I guess... Airborne was good, perhaps this is too

That's what the SP is going to look like. Skip to 1:20 for Crysis moment.

It's like it's a totally different game.

What a stupid concept.... so they've made a modern Medal of Honor and sort of stitched a modern Counterstrike in the same box

Different game engines too. SP uses UE3 while MP uses Frostbite (like all DICE games).

Ugh... that is soooo tacky. Especially considering that UE3 has way better netcode.

We're basically buying a single player game that comes with a standalone DLC pack for BC2.

Come on that's not fair to BC2, MoH multiplayer is more like Call of Duty: Bad Company. Emphasis on the Call of Duty. Or just Call of Duty by DICE. I kind of want to get this but don't know, on one hand single player looks sweet, on the other multiplayer looks worthless (seriously, COD with hardcore damage (hate hardcore) and BC's rush mode (conquest > rush)... do not want... plus it's like it's like it's trying to please COD and BF fans at the same time and the consensus from beta players is that neither fanbase is pleased by it so...)

BOOOOO...

(1) At 1:15, the Apache is launching rockets nearly directly downward. They...er...don't work that way. They don't pivot with the 30mm.

(2) For all the talk about this being the "realistic" modern shooter as compared to the Bruckheimerism of MW2, I find the idea of leveling a village (not a training camp or a cave network, but a "village") without any discussion of civilian casualties to be pretty frickin' unrealistic. Yes, they say there's a Taliban armory there, but in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc, just because militants store weapons some place doesn't mean that civilians aren't also there in droves.

They talk a lot about being more realistic than COD, but I don't see it that way, because I really don't care. It's just awesome.