Medium Roadtrip Proposal - The French Connection or "Oh Millau My!"

Hey that's fair enough, See you at VS on the Thursday.

It might have already been mentioned or planned, but when you're in the Millau area make sure to take the road between Millau and Saint-Enimie (or further). It's where part of the Top Gear feature was filmed.

When I was down there in Winter we sadly reached it in a pitch black night and had to hurry to get to the hotel, so I didn't see a lot. This is what it's supposed to look like:

MAYVIKO.jpg

qxePXdk.jpg

escuse the hdr

Kb3iCMG.jpg

9Jv2cND.jpg

7NJXl19.jpg

WJeypK1.jpg

grp9FID.jpg

jw4uyoA.jpg

dQiuFiZ.jpg

Last edited:
Not everybody plans the detour via Millau, but as I'll be heading down from around Dijon to Millau on Thursday August 3rd I already planned the route via Lyon and Saint-?tienne so that road is planned for me anyway. :)

Another tip for Millau, if you want to have a look at the bridge from road level without going on the motorway you can reach this parking space at the service area via b-roads and without paying the toll.
From there it's a few minutes walk to the viewpoint.

yUEFOCp.jpg

The view from that point. The visitor centre is in the middle of the picture, in the valley right below the bridge.

Reactions: MWF
We took the N106 from Al?s to Qu?zac and then the mentioned road along the Tarn towards Millau.

If that route is interesting for you, here's a video from the Winter trip to give you an idea. Starting somewhere north of Al?s and cut somewhere before the proper beautiful stuff because it had gotten too dark:

:edit: updated video with music instead of rattle:

Last edited:
Beni sure knows how to sell a roadtrip. - Great pics.

Hold 98 gas at the ready french petrol stations! I'm in your country next week! Oversteering on your roads! :lol:

Reactions: MWF
Another nice stretch of road was the Gorges de Saint-May between Serres and Nyons. I guess it's not really on anyone's route, but just so you know:

okwAG9l.jpg

The most scenic parts from arount 8:30 minutes on!

Last edited:
So I just remembered I still need to book the campsite for Scherwiller for the Weds evening. I make it 4 cars and 3/4 tents - Ice (Saudi), MWF/HWF3.0 (El Polo Mucho Loco), lip (Barkwagentent) and Eye Q (Gangsta Dreier).

Any amendments to that? I will email them tomorrow evening.

^ Take note I'm in for the Roadtrip but not for Ringmeet!

I will hoon around with you for three days, but then I will leave the group Tuesday late afternoon when we reach the small town of Chaussetive.
From there I will head northeast towards Briancon to cross back to Italy and with that back to my holiday place in Locarno.

Hence there is no need to include me in any camping booking.

Thanks. In that case unless Dino pops up in the next 24 hours to say he is joining us it's 3 tents, 3 cars and 4 pax to camp in Scherwiller.

^ Take note I'm in for the Roadtrip but not for Ringmeet!

I will hoon around with you for three days, but then I will leave the group Tuesday late afternoon when we reach the small town of Chaussetive.
From there I will head northeast towards Briancon to cross back to Italy and with that back to my holiday place in Locarno.

Hence there is no need to include me in any camping booking.

Well then, if you (and we) have time, the other roadtrip crew is setting off from near Domodossola on Wednesday, towards Gossau. Regardless of the route we choose to take we should be passing Locarno at least. :)

^ That's a bit tight. I stay the night from Tuesday to Wednesday in Briancon and will be back in Locarno in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Aww, too bad. Worth a shot anyway.

Guys, I just checked the weather forecast for the next two weeks for southern France, it says the temperatures will be in the mid to high 30?Cs. Compare that to low to mid 20?Cs here in northern Germany and I know why I'm going to southern France... :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
^ Hot and sunny in the South of France? Rare stuff. :lol: - See ya in a week.

It's been consistently below 20C here in Ukania for the last week or so, with regular heavy rain showers. Very much looking forward to heading south next Friday/Saturday..