Ownership Verified: Meet Luigi DeVito! That's right, another MX-5! Sorry.

Mechanical updates! I had an oil change done! Before that I replaced the cam position sensor o-ring, again... (It was replaced when the engine was installed) as there is an oil-leak from somewhere) and we will see how it goes.

I booked in the car for TÜV, so I will need to make sure the oil does not show up, aka I need to clean the bottom of the engine before this - I also need to rig up the horn to work somehow!

Hook it to the brake lights!

I took the car to TÜV today ... It failed!

Guess why!!!

BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A FUCKING FOG LIGHT ... rofl

Anyway, I will order a Mazda original one from I.L. Motorsport and hopefully the cabling is in place ... And if the cabling still works... lol Otherwise everything else was a pass, and the TÜV guy barely spent any time looking at it, he said "There is nothing bad for me to look at here"

I took a few quick pics when it was up on the lift:

Hm, that's annoying! At least you don't have to cut the rear bumper.

Incidently one of the few times I ever missed a rear fog lamp was driving Luigi down to Slovenia last December as there was properly dense fog for at least half of the journey.

loose_unit;n3552765 said:
Otherwise everything else was a pass, and the TÜV guy barely spent any time looking at it, he said "There is nothing bad for me to look at here"

He better be happy... or else :mrgreen:

I decided to grab a more proper and permanent mount for my phone... While placing the order from I.L. Motorsport (I am keeping this place afloat financially, I am sure... lol) I decided to fix something that has annoyed me since I got the car...

The old one was removed using the key from the Pluriel as I was too lazy to walk to the barn to grab a more appropriate tool... Anyway, the new one installed!

Perfect!

Don't ask me why, I don't recall my reasoning, but I threw some new spark plug leads into the order ... Unfortunately not available in Green:

I also realised I didn't take a picture of the phone mount ... lol I will post one eventually!

I decided to go out and take some pictures of the phone mount, it's nothing special, but it's way better than having a windscreen mounted one!

So, seeing as how the fog light arrived some days ago, I figured I had better get my shit together and figure out if I can just install it or if some wiring will be needed...

I climbed under the rear of the car and found a bunch of cables... None of which matched the connector on the Mazda original fog light ... great...

Time for some testing!

Some voltage was found!

Now I just need to figure out a sensible way of connecting this:

To this:

I will probably just replace both ends to something that is more water tight than the existing method - Maybe a deutsch connector? I don't know, I will go to the electronics store and find something that is at least water tight. The fog light will come off afterwards anyway though and the connector will be zip tied and sealed in place so I can put it on for the next TÜV.

Progress is being made!

Also, the phone mount is excellent, I am really happy with it! It's really nice not to have a phone in my line of sight!

Conrad sells Weatherpak connectors. Can recommend.

Dr_Grip;n3553032 said:
Conrad sells Weatherpak connectors. Can recommend.

Awesome, I will keep an eye out - Conrad is where I will go, either tomorrow or Thursday :)

Yay, karousel pictures :D

IMG_39379deeaad3baae91a3.jpg

IMG_3938e052c6ebf070fecc.jpg

RdKetchup;n3553135 said:
Yay, karousel pictures :D

Nice, thanks! :-D

Also, I got motivated and put the connector onto the fog light end:

Tomorrow I will deal with the connector on the car!

This is my first time soldiering and putting together something like this, so I hope it works :)

So here we go!

I hit the red retainer with a hammer until it was in place, seemed to work.

There we go, the fog light, all ready to be connected.

I fucked around for ages getting the other end done, and then it would not retain properly... So I raged and went a different route... I twisted the wires together and put some heat shrink over it. It will be fine until I take it off! I tried to add solider to the twists, but the solidering iron I have is really crap, I will get something better I think :)

And we have light!!!

Went back to the mechanics and I have another appointment to complete the TÜV next week on Thursday! Yay!

Last edited:
That’s the factory Mazda part? I would have thought that would integrate into the rear tail lamp housing.

93Flareside;n3553198 said:
That’s the factory Mazda part? I would have thought that would integrate into the rear tail lamp housing.

Yep, it was ordered from Mazda directly. Mazda factory! :-D D-: