Ownership Verified: Meet Luigi DeVito! That's right, another MX-5! Sorry.

Back before the character transformation, from Mario to Luigi. :D

It's that time of year again ... Sun on the horison and warm weather around the corner!

After a lot of cranking and coughing and spluttering finally he sprang to life ... With just a small amount of smoke:

Back at it! Lights go up!

And home with his stately, new, adopted brother:

Some much needed maintenance coming up, there is some balooning on some of the coolant hoses - I decided rather than waiting to let them explode I would grab a kit of silicone hoses from I.L. Motorsport:

Should also freshen up the engine bay a bit:

I might get time to do it this weekend, but that depends... Anyway, I also got new clips too as these are required with the different diameter hoses.

I'm sure nicjasno can send some paint.

I have a tin of paint in the barn here :) But I don't think it will last long on hoses that move around.

I spent the afternoon working on the car, managed to take two photos!

I didn't manage to replace all of the hoses - For example there was one heater core hose which was not really accessible so I decided not to replace either for now.

I also only replaced one of the hoses on the intake because I fought for 2 hours to get one hose in and by 5pm I had decided that the old one will work fine until I am motivated again :D

There was also one hose in the kit that I could not figure out where it was...

All the main lines were well overdue for replacement so I got it at the right time.

I also gave it a nice bath and moved it back to the parking lot:

Drove to work last week, everything fine ... On the way home I got on to the motorway and suddenly no power...

The starts fine it just has no power and struggles to rev... I suspect a slipped cambelt tooth?

Suggestions welcome

Skipped belt seems the most likely. Also 4K revs is where the second cam normally kicks in on MX5s so could be related.

Suggestion: get it to a good mechanic pronto.

Skipped belt seems the most likely. Also 4K revs is where the second cam normally kicks in on MX5s so could be related.

Yeah, and I can hear something that sounds like air flowing through the engine that wasn't there before ...

I will just replace the cam belt myself with the one from my spare engine - I just need the barn to be free in case something else is the matter - I can't leave it sitting in the courtyard for more than a day.

With the sound of air rushing around the engine, it couldn't just be a vacuum or intake pipe, could it? Is the second cam like a VTEC system? If so what operates the second cam? Maybe that's a clue.

Yeah, and I can hear something that sounds like air flowing through the engine that wasn't there before ...

I will just replace the cam belt myself with the one from my spare engine - I just need the barn to be free in case something else is the matter - I can't leave it sitting in the courtyard for more than a day.

That might do the trick since I believe it’s a non-interference lump.

I love the way the instrument cluster barely changed between the NA and NC models.

I wish that was a Honda so I could a "VTEC kicked the bucket" joke........
Then again, on my E36 VANOS was fucked too....so yeah.

Any progress with fixing his revving issue?

SO, given that I have a date to be back and I will need a car - I ordered some service bits to get the ball rolling:
  • Cambelt plus pulleys etc
  • Radiator cleaner (Still quite a lot of residue in there, I run this through each coolant change.
  • Thermostat
  • Water pump
  • Crankshaft seal
  • The accessory belts
  • New bolts for the crank pulley, if you recall I snapped the head off of one of them ... So this will get fixed now.
  • The boot torsion bar springs (FINALLY)
Hopefully doing this will resolve the not revving issue which I am still fairly certain is related to a slipped cam belt.

Looks like mid June I will be able to get a move on assuming my flights are not cancelled ... And Germany lifts the 14 day isolation period after traveling.

I landed back in DE today, collected Luigi!

Still doesn't rev, but it cruises still :) It was great to be back driving him!