Ownership Verified: Meet the grandson, grandpa needs to go. (W203 C220 CDI)

Because the sedan was on my parents' lot and the T version wasn't :p And the sedan has more than enough cargo space for me, its boot is bigger than the 190E, and I've never had any trouble cramming lots of baby gear in there, so I don't need much more.

Looks good man! Enjoy it, drive it in good health.

love the car man.. makes me envious. I wish we had more diesel options here.. and manual mercedes cars :mad:

I preferred the old one. :|

I wish you all the best with it! I just hope its better then the 2 220 CDI's i can report of ;(

We've broken a few of those recently as well, all crapped out between 12 and 16kkm... some software/engine issue. Were W204s though.

Did a 450km trip with it last friday, and loved it to bits there. Around 1/3 of the trip (only motorway thus far) the trip computer said 4.3l/100km, in the end due to lots of city traffic and @#%#%$^ red traffic lights it ended up as 5.1l/100km, so I'm happy. This means that one of my goals, halving my monthly fuel bill, is one I will make. Acceleration on the motorway is insane for a 143 sedan that weighs 1400kg. Seats and suspension comfort are both slightly worse than in the 190E, but I'll manage. Stock sound system gives a more than decent sound, I'm really curious how good the Bose system in that car sounds.

Sadly the weather now is crap, so no pics just yet. Maybe the weather clears tonight or tomorrow.

190E had better suspension and seats, eh?

Odd. I've never ridden in a W201, but the W203s I've been in have had comfy seats and a fairly smooth ride.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Let's hope it'll be at least somewhat reliable, because you went from a Mercedes that was actually built properly, to one that was built at a time when Mercedes was "cutting corners" and not building their cars very well.

Anyway, good luck with this one! :)

Last edited:
So, after 2 weeks of ownership, I've grown accustomed to most things that are different in this car, like for instance the foot-operated parking brake, the self-locking doors above 15kph and the fact that I have 2 more gears to play with. Fuel consumption figures are looking good, average over this period is a very neat 5.8l/100km, although the trip computer in the car is a bit more optimistic and reports 5.0. I can report that the ESP in the car allows for a bit of play before it kicks in (meaning, I have kicked the tail out a bit a few times, ESP hasn't reined me in yet). In other news, the car has rollover sensors (car unlocks after it thinks it's been in a crash) since the door locks popped open after a slightly overenthusiastic roundabout-exit.

I have also set my sights on a few upgrades. The first being a replica AMG bootlid spoiler, only 110$ painted and shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pain...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
The second being a Dension Gateway Lite D2B to enhance the capabilities of the stock audio system a bit, unless people know another solution that works with a D2B OEM Merc audio system.

Oh, I'm a bit late. Nice, I'm jealous of the manual transmission and the CD-player. I'm not sure how your ?ber-base model with the black door handles has more features than mine... :lol:

Last edited:
the self-locking doors above 15kph and the fact that I have 2 more gears to play with. Fuel consumption figures are looking good, average over this period is a very neat 5.8l/100km,

Wow, and my Echo gets 6.7 despite being a smaller car.....

Then again, I'm not exactly easy on the throttle either.

The autolock thing is kind of nice. I've now made it a habit to lock my car as soon as I start the engine, but thats a nice convenience feature to have.

nsx_23, Adu's is a diesel. Completely different beast, and the fuel consumption figure is normal.

On the other hand, 6.7 in the Echo...that is quite a lot for that car.

It even goes up to 6.9 sometimes, so its not the most economical thing in the world.

Part of the problem is that I regularly have to floor it up a very steep hill near my house on the way to uni everyday.

Oh, I'm a bit late. Nice, I'm jealous of the manual transmission and the CD-player. I'm not sure how your ?ber-base model with the black door handles has more features than mine... :lol:

The black doorhandles is due to it being a Classic, and not Avantgarde or Elegance trim, it has little to do with features, and more with trim levels (like the painted doorhandles, the fabric on the seats, type of wood on the dash, etc.) The CD player is nice, very good sound (it's a Becker), although I suspect the lens to be dirty, because when the car is cold, it skips a lot (probably from condensation on the lens) so I need to run some sort of cleaning thing through it. I'm loath to replace it, since replacement units are still 300-ish eur on ebay, and with an aftermarket unit I lose the steering wheel controls.

In other news, me and the ESP had our first clash this week, when I decided to kick the tail out a bit on tight righthander, and the ESP was like "NEIN!" leaving me dead in the water halfway through the turn.