Ownership Verified: Mehr Freudige Fahrten! (E46 330d)

I really like this car! I saw it today and it is super tidy :-D

I still might end up with one if I have to commute to work by car at some point.

Also, I said this to Adu, and despite me looking for a manual I think the Automatic is the best pairing with this car - Excellent purchase Mr Adu.

Woah, what's happening? Its almost raining "I've-bought-a-BMW" threads here in the PYC section! :blink:

But at least this one is sensible. At least as sensible as a 200hp+ oilburner in a pretty shell can be. ;) - Congratulations.

Sadly he is staying sensible and refusing to get the engine remapped to its full potential.

I'm a no-modifications guy and I never had a diesel, - so I have no idea -, does it make sense to invest into a remap for a 10yo+ car?

Edit: I just saw you have a similiar 330D. Have you mapped yours?

Woah, what's happening? Its almost raining "I've-bought-a-BMW" threads here in the PYC section! :blink:

But at least this one is sensible. At least as sensible as a 200hp+ oilburner in a pretty shell can be. ;) - Congratulations.

It's a backlash to the Miata influx :)

Also, congrats to Adu!

Sadly he is staying sensible and refusing to get the engine remapped to its full potential.

Gearbox is rated for 420Nm input torque. Engine puts out 410 in stock form... I think I'll keep it like this.

I'm a no-modifications guy and I never had a diesel, - so I have no idea -, does it make sense to invest into a remap for a 10yo+ car?

Edit: I just saw you have a similiar 330D. Have you mapped yours?

Yes I have. I figured ?250 was good value to get to 295hp and 420 lb/ft.

When researching the car, I've read too many horror stories of autoboxes disintegrating after a remap. Besides, even with the stock 204PS/410Nm the car is plenty fast for my purposes.

First commute has been made, and the computer tells me that the average consumption is 6.0l/100km

03a.jpg

What? Why? How?

//edit

Ah, it's the wax cover layer they used for shipping, phew.

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Also, congrats!

It is a great replacement.

When researching the car, I've read too many horror stories of autoboxes disintegrating after a remap. Besides, even with the stock 204PS/410Nm the car is plenty fast for my purposes.

First commute has been made, and the computer tells me that the average consumption is 6.0l/100km

How about them swirl-flaps? You know the ones that have been known to destroy BMW diesels when they fall apart?

Still, nice car. I wish you all the luck with it.

Swirl flap blanking plates are on the to-do list, although they were more of an issue in the earlier diesels. The fact that this one made it to 270000km without issue, is telling. Still, better safe than sorry, so they're coming out.

Last edited:
Yes I have. I figured ?250 was good value to get to 295hp and 420 lb/ft.

That's impressive, maybe you could upgrade your PYC thread.
Is the hp figure official or is it just a claim from the chip/map seller, and do you have to pay more insurance because of it?

It's an estimate for the remap people and I haven't had it on a dyno but the leap in performance suggests it's pretty close.

I shall plead the Fifth on the other question. :whistle:

That's the problem I have with mapping/chipping. It's all a bit fishy/greyzony. - You see here in Switzerland the current hp number (kw actually) has to be in the cars papers. During a MOT the hp gain will show itself by rolling road data compairing.

Before highjacking Adu's thread even more, is there a "Mapping" thread on FG?

Dropped by the BMW dealership yesterday to diagnose the airbag light. The passenger side airbag got replaced as part of the recall last week, so I figured perhaps the dealership that did that procedure forgot to clear the error code. Turns out, it wasn't the case, the cause is a faulty driver side seat belt tensioner module. Which is an easy fix and not too expensive. They also looked up the passcode of the factory bluetooth system, but it turns out it's not entirely compatile with modern Android phones (something about a flag being set in the module which leads the phone to think that the connection is faulty, so it drops it). Need to look into a fix for it. The dealership id all of this free of charge, so I'm definitely going back there for more stuff.

Sadly, the Grom cable hasn't shipped yet, hoping they will soon.

Turns out the Bluetooth system in these BMWs is incompatible with modern android phones, because it advertises a function it doesn't have, making android drop the connection because it thinks the device is broken.

uploadfromtaptalk1429685682018.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429685700610.jpg

However, the Grom cable arrived yesterday evening, and after a bit of fiddling got it to work. Now to tuck it all away and get the mic to a place I can use it for hands free calling.

Last edited:
No tweak for Android to make it ignore the error?